Official 2015 Bored of Studies Seminars @ University of Sydney (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hi all,

It's that time of the year where we start to host our events once more!

This year, I'll be running two Mathematics-related seminars at the University of Sydney.

What: Two Mathematics seminars hosted by Carrotsticks, as well as study help.

When: Next Friday on the 10th July 2015.

Where: At the University of Sydney @ Carslaw Tutorial Room 359.

Why: Because we all want those marks at the end of the exam that you've been abandoning because you didn't know how to do them.

What should I bring: Yourself, a notepad, Mathematics study related material.

Do I need to pay: Absolutely not! This is a service that I offer free of charge. Students shouldn't have to pay to have access to essential resources such as this event. If anything, we pay you since we'll be giving all of you a good feed on the day.

How do I register: Send me a private message by clicking here. Please copy and paste the following template, and fill it in accordingly. Note that this is COMPLETELY CONFIDENTIAL and is purely for our records. I would absolutely love it if you also brought your friends along, so please invite them to this event!

When do I have to register by: Generally these events fill up to capacity (this year ~50 students per event) so reserving your place ASAP is the best way to go.

Name:

School:

Seminar(s) to attend:

Friends coming along:

Timetable for the day:

10:30am ~ Noon : Morning Seminar

Noon ~ 1:00pm : Quiet Study

1:00pm ~ 1:30pm : Lunch (we will provide free lunch! I believe LOTS of Subway sandwiches like last year, but to be confirmed).

1:30pm ~ 3:30pm : Afternoon Seminar

Morning Seminar @ 10:30am ~ Noon : Exam Techniques

There is more to doing well in Mathematics than just learning the theory. A lot of it also comes down to practise and being able to see what to do in an exam.

How many times have you seen a "Show that ..." question and were unable to know where to start? How many times have you constantly looked at worked solutions for the starting point and then finished the question from there, knowing that under exam conditions you probably wouldn't have seen how to begin? Knowing where to begin is a skill that takes practise and is also a huge aspect of doing well in exams. Unfortunately for many, this skill is severely affected when placed under exam conditions.

I'll be showing you all how to spot the starting point and how to read the questions for 'clues' regarding where to start.

I write a great deal of exams, most popularly the BOS Trials (3rd of October this year!), and I can provide a lot of insight from the perspective of an exam writer when it comes to the structure of questions, which often gives away a lot regarding the question. We don't have parts in there 'by accident'. We don't word anything randomly. Every single phrasing, structure or expression has a reason, and it is almost always to help the student. Having a bit of insight into this will assist you in your approach to problems in exams.

You will be given a booklet containing several examples of past paper questions, and the clues associated with them.

This seminar is aimed towards both Year 11 and 12 students undertaking Mathematics Advanced and/or Mathematics Extension 1.
Afternoon Seminar @ 1:30pm ~ 3:30pm : Harder Extension 2

Yes you read it right, Harder Extension 2.

Extension 2 Mathematics students are the cream of the crop. They have the strongest Mathematical abilities in the state and that is why they are brave enough to take on the Extension 2 subject. However, even amongst the cream, we can separate the students who barely keep their head above the water and the students who thrive in the subject.

This seminar will be all about those infamous 'end of exam' questions. I've heard countless Extension students say to each other "Oh crap I'm going to get like 1 or 2 marks in Question 16". Many of these exam questions are legitimately difficult in the sense that you read the solutions and think "How was I supposed to see that?". In some cases, they do expect a bit too much from students, but the majority of the time there are dead giveaways regarding where you should begin.

This seminar is similar in flavour to the Morning Seminar, but in the context of Extension 2 where the skill of 'knowing where to start' becomes incredibly vital the deeper into the exam you go. Mastering this skill is what separates the ~90 students to the 95+ students in Extension 2, but this seminar is still highly relevant to those aiming for an E4.

You will be given a booklet containing several examples of past paper questions, and the clues associated with them.

Obviously this seminar is aimed towards students undertaking Mathematics Extension 2.

Study Help:

I will have a small team of tutors who are able to help with all levels of Mathematics. Leading towards the day, please prepare questions. To be fair for all students in terms of time allocation, we will NOT be teaching you topics on the spot. However, we would love to answer any questions you may have such as

"The worked solution did this but I don't get it"

"How come the textbook said X? Where did that come from?"

"How do I start this question?"

Hopefully you get the idea =)

I absolutely look forward to seeing all of you on the day, and happy studying during your Holidays! =)

Carrotsticks.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh and please feel free to ask questions here and/or spam it up! One of the rare occasions where I'll give you guys permission to spam up a thread in this section =)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I believe this blatant USyd-centric bias is disgusting

however the actual content of the day, along with the presenter, is definitely not

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Bump for yet again another great initiative from a Bored of Studies (Super) Moderator :D

For all of you that don't know Carrotsticks she is (from what I've heard) one of the best mathematics teachers out there!

I highly recommend attending this seminar for any year 12 students out there currently doing the advanced mathematics course and beyond :D

Flop21

HSC
Sounds great, is anyone from here planning on going?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Bump for yet again another great initiative from a Bored of Studies (Super) Moderator :D

For all of you that don't know Carrotsticks she is (from what I've heard) one of the best mathematics teachers out there!

I highly recommend attending this seminar for any year 12 students out there currently doing the advanced mathematics course and beyond :D
shots fired

klee98

HSC
It's sad that i can't attend... Will the resources be up online? :D

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
What should I bring: Yourself, a notepad, Mathematics study related material.
You forgot tissues.

In seriousness, would highly recommend everyone to attend this.

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC
For ex2 are you going to be going through HSC question 16 difficulty or BOS trials question 16 difficulty ?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Normal HSC extension 2 papers to easy for you?
Then definitely try BOS trials guaranteed to knock your overconfident socks of!

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Normal HSC extension 2 papers to easy for you?
Then definitely try BOS trials guaranteed to knock your overconfident socks of!
Can Confirm ^

State rankers from previous years only managed to pull off a 60% raw mark in last years BoS trials!

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Are Extension 2 students encouraged to attend the first seminar?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's sad that i can't attend... Will the resources be up online? :D
I won't be putting up the resources online, as I typically do, for the sake of attendance. There are many things I will explain on the day that won't be in the resources.

For ex2 are you going to be going through HSC question 16 difficulty or BOS trials question 16 difficulty ?
I will be going through HSC Question 16/Question 8 difficulty.

Are Extension 2 students encouraged to attend the first seminar?
Most certainly yes, as they are also required to undertake the Extension 1 course. Also for Extension 2, the whole notion of 'seeing where to begin' is much more important than in Extension 1. So you'll need as much exposure to this concept, which is severely undertaught in my opinion, as possible.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Got a good number of registrations already, keep em coming!

Flop21

HSC
Would this be any good for a 2u student? An average one at best, haha? Or would I find it too advanced, confusing?

keepLooking

HSC
Would this be any good for a 2u student? An average one at best, haha? Or would I find it too advanced, confusing?
Everything will help, I haven't been to any of Carrot's events but the other members are complimenting it very much. I think it won't be too hard to understand what Carrot will be trying to convey so surely go! It doesn't matter what kind of 2U student you are, I would say.

I would love to go but the 2 hour ride is really setting me back. Thank you for setting up such an event!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Of course it would be. There won't be much actual content theory-wise. I'll be talking about more conceptual things that you'll be able to pick up quite easily with some instruction.

Everything will help, I haven't been to any of Carrot's events but the other members are complimenting it very much. I think it won't be too hard to understand what Carrot will be trying to convey so surely go! It doesn't matter what kind of 2U student you are, I would say.

I would love to go but the 2 hour ride is really setting me back. Thank you for setting up such an event!
Really appreciate that =)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Does this happen every year, cause this sounds like an awesome event and would love to attend but am busy on the day. Just wondering if this will be available next year as well or am i too ambitious lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)