Votes: 32 21.9%
  • I couldn't give a toss about them or an apology

Votes: 33 22.6%

• Total voters
K

katie_tully

Re: Rudd to say Sorry on February 12

FerengCheng said:
This has turned into a mud-fight, hasn't it...

The thing is, if Rudd apologies, the Aborigines will stop complaining. Other than that, there will be no other effects (since he's ruled out compo), so the world can just get on with whatever they were doing before.
He's just talking, dammit.
The thing is, no they won't stop complaining. Do you honestly think this apology is going to solve anything?
'Oh! Ruddkip has apologised. Problem solved!'

Evilo

HSC

Xayma said:
Did you even read what Triangulum said? They never said anything about the descendents being able to claim compensation just those who were sexually abused. So your dad should be able to claim compensation, but you couldn't on behalf of him.
So they possibly could claim? they didn't out-law it?
FFS thats the 3rd time i've written that, read the thread properly.

Read Katie's post
katie_tully said:
The thing is, no they won't stop complaining. Do you honestly think this apology is going to solve anything?
'Oh! Ruddkip has apologised. Problem solved!'

HSC

jb_nc said:
THANKS FOR DIS POST. DID NOT KNOW THAT. OH SO INFORMATIVE.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you didn't want to hear the rebuttle, there was no need to troll this thread, implying that there are more important things to do for Kevin Rudd, knowing fully that there isn't a thing he can do about them.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

Starcraftmazter said:
If you didn't want to hear the rebuttle, there was no need to troll this thread, implying that there are more important things to do for Kevin Rudd, knowing fully that there isn't a thing he can do about them.

I don't even know what the hell you are talking about.

However, this still holds:

jb_nc said:
Possible criticism of Kevin Rudd in thread number one-six-four-four-four-nine! Kevin Rudd defence zealots: mobilise!

Don't bother to read the post you're quoting, just defend Kevin Rudd nonsensically!
Try reading the thread again, champion.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

Evilo said:
Please alert me to the legislation that stops them from suing the government for [extra] compensation.
PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd said the Government will apologise to indigenous Australia's stolen generations when parliament resumes next month, but will not establish a compensation fund.

Mr Rudd said his campaign promise would be realised during the parliament's first sitting, but did not give a date for the formal apology.
He said the apology was necessary because long-standing problems plaguing indigenous communities could not be addressed until it was made.
"The intention is to build this bridge of respect between indigenous and non-indigenous Australia," Mr Rudd told Channel 7.
"(Then) we can get on with the business of closing the gap in terms of life expectancy, education levels and health levels between indigenous and non-indigenous communities."
He reiterated a promise that no compensation fund would be established following the apology.
"We will not be establishing any compensation funds," Mr Rudd said.
He also said individual Australians have the right to oppose the move, saying the apology was not coming from the non-indigenous citizens.
"We'll be making it clear that we'll be speaking in the government's name," he said.
"The judgment I have made is ... let's get this symbolic act of apology right and then let's move on together.
"Both symbols and substance are important - that's the truth of it."
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23125311-421,00.html

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

I think that if they wanted to sue anyone they would've sued them way back.

K

katie_tully

MaNiElla said:
I think that if they wanted to sue anyone they would've sued them way back.
Sued them for what? Until now they havent been able to because the Government hasnt admitted anything.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

Evilo said:
So they possibly could claim? they didn't out-law it?
FFS thats the 3rd time i've written that, read the thread properly.
You responded to a hypothetical with another hypothetical but misread the original hypothetical.
Evilo said:
Read Katie's post
There is nothing stopping them suing now. An apology is purely symbolic, it doesn't mean that all of a sudden they can sue, or not sue. If there is something that those affected can sue over they can do it tomorrow or Feb 13th. It doesn't make any difference.

K

katie_tully

The only reason this apology is taking so long is because Ruddkip is going to word it so perfectly, it's going to be an apology without apologising for anything.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

katie_tully said:
The only reason this apology is taking so long is because Ruddkip is going to word it so perfectly, it's going to be an apology without apologising for anything.
Yeah, i guess.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

Xayma said:
An apology is purely symbolic, it doesn't mean that all of a sudden they can sue, or not sue.
Precisely.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

katie_tully said:

he can't do a apology without notes, he need notes!

HalcyonSky

HSC

are there even any aboriginal lawyers?

pigyar

HSC

i hope this is not just another play...

yourfacehere!

HSC

Oh shit! You mean the f*in blacks might get money?! And dignity?!!

Please, get out of the panic room. Rudd will apologise on behalf of the Office of the Prime Minister and the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people for mistreatment during the era of the 'Protection Policies', from roughly 1866 - 1960's.

It is, as Rudd said in the earlier quote from Sunrise, a symbolic and well-overdue apology. It is about generating respect, and an acknowledgement that many of today's problems can be sourced back to horrific abuse generations ago. It will not result in widespread lawsuits or anybody stealing your backyard, as there is no possible ground upon which one can claim compensation on behalf of those now deceased.

In reality, those directly affected by the Protection policies (i.e were actually put in a mission of foster home in the 50's or 60's) probably should recieve compensation. But I can't imagine this ever happening - it'd take years and years of action in the High Court that no Aboriginal group can afford, and have little chance of suceeding. Without the help of Justice Michael Kirby, maybe.

Why shouldn't the Australian Government apologise? What harm can simply saying sorry do? Aboriginal people are people, not the monsters so many here seem to believe them to be. Land on a freehold title cannot be claimed in any circumstances; Mabo, the Native Title Act, Wik and the Ten-Point Plan all made that clear. Compensation cannot be paid to the descendants of others; if my Grandfather had've been run over by a bus in the 70's, I couldn't sue State Transit for it tomorrow.

Put away the pitchforks, take off the robe and hood, and get back to reality.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)