Official BOS Study Meat v2.0 (Winter Edition) (2 Viewers)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Enoilgam has made a wonderful suggestion to make a combined seminar for Humanities Essays such as Eco, Legal, Modern etc because the techniques are inevitably the same.

Will sort this out properly and definitively later on.
I'm down for that.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
With the seminars, will there be hand outs or will we have to take down notes (probably specific to each tutor but if you are one, please tell)?

Maybe too early to ask.
Not sure about other subjects but my 3U and 4U one will FOR SURE have handouts where I will have fully worked difficult questions with FULL explanations (not many solutions do this unfortunately) and I will highlight all my motivations for certain steps. After all, Maths is a subject of logic is it not?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
With the seminars, will there be hand outs or will we have to take down notes (probably specific to each tutor but if you are one, please tell)?

Maybe too early to ask.
ooh that's an interesting idea

enoilgam

HSC
Seems like everyone is going to a seminar except me haha! I am just unsure about going to a seminar if it is aimed at year 11 and 12 students...
With the essay writing thing, its pretty much universal - the same principles which apply to essays in year 11/12 apply to year 10 and even an undergraduate degree. So dont be put off by that fact that you're only in year 10.

Maybe too early to ask.
If anyone wants me to bring any materials, just send me a PM. If the the essay writing seminar goes ahead, I will be looking for input on things to cover. If people want me to just do the basics I can cover that, or some of the more advanced ideas and techniques if people prefer. Also, if there are specific areas from any of my subjects which people want covered, I can cover that towards the end of the seminar (I'd imagine a few people would be interested in part B of the personality section from Modern).

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
For me, I *might* bring some basic hand outs on writing English essays (probably not if someone else is running an English seminar), but I'll expect anyone who wants me to go through English stuff with them to have their work there (syllabus, text, practice essays if they've done any, notes).

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
With the essay writing thing, its pretty much universal - the same principles which apply to essays in year 11/12 apply to year 10 and even an undergraduate degree. So dont be put off by that fact that you're only in year 10.
I might go to that then :) We'll have to see what the numbers though. It's horrible that I cannot bring any resources because I don't have any haha!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If anyone wants me to bring any materials, just send me a PM. If the the essay writing seminar goes ahead, I will be looking for input on things to cover. If people want me to just do the basics I can cover that, or some of the more advanced ideas and techniques if people prefer. Also, if there are specific areas from any of my subjects which people want covered, I can cover that towards the end of the seminar (I'd imagine a few people would be interested in part B of the personality section from Modern).
Would you like to collaborate?

enoilgam

HSC
Would you like to collaborate?
Definitely - it would be great to have some more input, especially considering how styles can differ with essay writing. Drop me a PM so we can brainstorm some ideas.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Definitely - it would be great to have some more input, especially considering how styles can differ with essay writing. Drop me a PM so we can brainstorm some ideas.
Enoilgam, could you please do somewhat of a session for Legal Studies essay writing/Legal Studies in general?

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
Carrotsticks, can you please bring your Uni stuff that is remotely relevant to elementary Mathematics for me to look at? But if I'm the only person who's interested, then never mind.

deswa1

HSC
Carrotsticks, can you please bring your Uni stuff that is remotely relevant to elementary Mathematics for me to look at? But if I'm the only person who's interested, then never mind.
I'm interested too :).

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
I'm interested too :).
I took a look at it earlier but he didn't let me keep it. You can find areas of cool parameterised curves like the Folium of Descartes using Double Integrals. Beforehand I actually had no idea how to find the area of such things. You can also prove that the are between a Hyperbola and its asymptotes is unbounded from above using a similar method, but with parameterisations using the Hyperbolic Trig functions instead of the Reciprocal Trig functions!

deswa1

HSC
I took a look at it earlier but he didn't let me keep it. You can find areas of cool parameterised curves like the Folium of Descartes using Double Integrals. Beforehand I actually had no idea how to find the area of such things. You can also prove that the are between a Hyperbola and its asymptotes is unbounded from above using a similar method, but with parameterisations using the Hyperbolic Trig functions instead of the Reciprocal Trig functions!
Sounds mad. I remember a question in Cambridge asking to graph the Folium of Descartes which was cool so finding the area should be interesting- I only know very basic things about double integrals so I can learn heaps of stuff.

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
Sounds mad. I remember a question in Cambridge asking to graph the Folium of Descartes which was cool so finding the area should be interesting- I only know very basic things about double integrals so I can learn heaps of stuff.
I don't remember doing a Cambridge question on it, but I'm not surprised that it included the Folium in it. This is what I love most about the Cambridge book, much more sophisticated and clearly written by a Mathematician as opposed to MIF. Well the Double Integral is a little bit more complicated than others because we have to use a transformation formula, very similar to the 'Integration by Substitution' method you learn at school, but then there are more problems because you need to know a bit about Partial Derivatives and Determinants of matrices... if I come on the day I'll teach you if you like!

deswa1

HSC
Yeah sounds hectic. I'll be sure to track you down on the day :) See you there

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Okay sure I'll bring what I can, but I do have a lot of books satisfying that criteria =/

Maybe I'll list them and you tell me which ones you want me to bring?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)