"Official Notice: Revised examination specifications for Stage 6 Mathematics courses" (1 Viewer)

XTsquared

HSC
The other day my teacher told me we may be getting Multiple Choice questions for MX1 and MX2, I was horrified. Looks like it may have come true (in the form of Objective Response questions).

However, from what I can see it does not effect 2011 HSC students, only 2012 students (thank god I'm accelerating MX1 and MX2).

Here's the info:
http://news.boardofstudies.nsw.edu....pecifications-for-Stage-6-Mathematics-courses

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/math-ext-1-2-ar-from2012.pdf

Here I was thinking they should make the course harder...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: "Official Notice: Revised examination specifications for Stage 6 Mathematics cour

Disgusting.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Re: "Official Notice: Revised examination specifications for Stage 6 Mathematics cour

Same as in many uni tests/exams: multiple choice. Never heard of it in my days when getting a Distinction in uni was a big deal and was harder than getting a HD nowadays.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

Ridiculous.

Isn't the idea of the courses to challenge students? How are students challenged if they have a one in four chance of getting the answer? What a load of crap.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

Wonder who the idiot was who came up with this idea to introduce multiple choice in the first place. You see the idea often comes from one particular person, usually quite influential in the bureaucracy. What motivated this need for change? Next they will introduce a new subject: "Drongo Maths" for those who find General Maths too challenging.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad

Next they will introduce a new subject: "Drongo Maths" for those who find General Maths too challenging.
I think there's a new course below Gen Maffs in the national curriculum.

annagurl

HSC
N/A

I think there's a new course below Gen Maffs in the national curriculum.
Applied mathematics is below general. But it doesn't count towards an ATAR.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

Hmmm looks like VCE > HSC.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Wait what? Will there be MC in HSC mathematics for 2012ers?

I spose it's a stepping stone for a totally dumbed down version of the national curriculum to cater to the QLD curriculum.

Existential

HSC
N/A

hahahahah 2011ers FTW

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

The syllabus for mathematics should be retained.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

No! What, how, why?... I sure hope this is a dream, when I close my eyes and wake up, everything will be back to normal. Extension 1 will have 84 marks and Extension 2 will have 120.

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC

Interesting............

So when will there be essays in maths exams ?

x_cp3

HSC

which dickhead proposed multiple choice for maths?

annagurl

HSC
N/A

~Extended responses for proving questions

HSC
Uni Grad

But tbh, it's a good move if you look at it from the perspective of the BoS and DET, it's much cheaper to run a MC answer sheet through a computer than to hire markers to mark the papers. Anyway, this is only for like the 12 marks in Question 1, not the whole paper or anything lol, I think most people usually get close to full marks in Q1 anyway...

K

khorne

You're all idiots. But I wouldn't expect developed opinions from the likes of you guys anyway.

MC was introduced, to obviously, reduced marking time, reduce number of people required and reduced inaccuracy of marking subjective (" ") responses.

They can still make them challenging, just like the US AP Calc exams etc which also are multiple choice. The quality of questions could even improve to make up for the loss of marks. It's not a bad idea in principle, we will just have to wait for implementation.

Edit: OE beat me

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

My main concern is that the MCs will be 'tricky' and will be intended to trap those who make silly mistakes (based on the past sample ones I've seen) leading to a zero mark as opposed to partial marks. Is there some sort of specimen paper out there for people to familiarise with this format?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

^Yes, it seems unfair that although someone could do most of the working they might stumble at the last part and get no marks where someone could make blind choices and get very lucky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)