one music taste a deterrent? (2 Viewers)

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
If a girl I like has unusual or different musical tastes from my own, that would be a positive attribute. There's not many music genres that I wouldn't listen to, and she could share her favourite music with me. If her musical tastes are similar to mine, we'd have some mutual interests and likes.

The only thing that would be a deterrent to me is if a girl didn't like music at all, or refused to listen to contemporary music.

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't exactly see it like that as such, but I can understand where you're coming from.
Perfectly valid way of seeing things nonetheless.
I just really cannot stand rap lol.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
+1

plus I see music taste as a reflection of personality. Crap music = crap personality
Also, people who judge personality based solely on other people's musical taste could be a reflection that person's own superficial and/or elitist personality traits.

Last edited:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
well think about it.

i'll take the easiest genre,
which is top 40s pop.

if she only listens to top 40s pop,
you can safely assume that

she's a self-absored, self centered, narcissistic, always having to be with what is the most popular.

she has no backbone, always conforming to the crappy top 40 the media regurgitates to her.

HSC
Uni Grad
However there is still every chance she is the fucking best girl in the world and is nothing like that and such music genuinely appeals to her, and in your judgemental analysis of her you were inaccurate/read too much into it, and missed out on said best girl in the world.

However what you mentioned is most likely the case, just not definitely.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
however there is still every chance she is the fucking best girl in the world and is nothing like that and such music genuinely appeals to her, and in your judgemental analysis of her you were inaccurate/read too much into it, and missed out on said best girl in the world.
+1

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
However there is still every chance she is the fucking best girl in the world and is nothing like that and such music genuinely appeals to her, and in your judgemental analysis of her you were inaccurate/read too much into it, and missed out on said best girl in the world.

However what you mentioned is most likely the case, just not definitely.
well of course,
variables do exist.

but if she SOLELY listens to that,
and if i say hey lets listen to stevie wonder, she goes'WTF NO THATS soooo olddd.. FROM THE 80s'

then we can all safely assume

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
it completely depends, but generally yes I am incredibly picky and elitist when it comes to music tastes. i think that having some sort of common ground is really important because it spurs on other things - ive often found that similar tastes in music will lead to similar tastes in films and books. plus, i enjoy going to concerts and i would like to have someone who liked the same music to share that experience with.

plus i'm super elitist so there's no way i could handle someone who seriously only listened to that top40 rnb shit or guy sebastian or something

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
it completely depends, but generally yes I am incredibly picky and elitist when it comes to music tastes. i think that having some sort of common ground is really important because it spurs on other things - ive often found that similar tastes in music will lead to similar tastes in films and books. plus, i enjoy going to concerts and i would like to have someone who liked the same music to share that experience with.

plus i'm super elitist so there's no way i could handle someone who seriously only listened to that top40 rnb shit or guy sebastian or something
you belong in the empire club

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
it depends how different the taste is.

i don't think i would want to be with someone who had the EXACT SAME musical taste as me because, well, how boring. i don't want to date myself with a dick.

but then you also don't want to be total opposites and unable to stand each others' music.

for e.g. my boyfriend likes 90's punk and emo and such, and i am more into avant-garde stuff and post punk and art and glam rock. so we're into very different scenes, i guess.

but we both also like stuff such as old school punk and there is some crossover in taste, which i like it because he can introduce me to music he knows would probably enjoy but wouldn't otherwise know about :)

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
oh, but i could not deal with anyone who only like mainstream manufactured bullshit top 40 music.

i don't really associate with people like that anyway, though, and it's highly unlikely anyone who liked that music would have a personality i'd find attractive (i like strange people).

HSC
Uni Grad
you're all retarded

each to their own, why does it bother you?
I agree with such sentiments the vast majority of the time however there are other times when I have to be more critical.

oh, but i could not deal with anyone who only like mainstream manufactured bullshit top 40 music.

i don't really associate with people like that anyway, though, and it's highly unlikely anyone who liked that music would have a personality i'd find attractive (i like strange people).
Also agree with this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)