One of those "HELP 10 or 12 units!!" thread. (1 Viewer)

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
Yes, 10 or 12 units, that is the question.

At the beginning of the year I was extremly ready to do 12 units, thinking it was smart to have a back up, but now im wondering if it is worth it.

My subjects are General maths, Adv English, Biology, Anc History, pd/h/pe and design and technology.

I want to drop design and technology. It is so much work, it is taking up alot of my time and I find it difficult to score well in. Its taking up alot of my time and I'm spending less and less time on the other five subjects.

Currently my ranks in each class are:
Maths: 2/28
English: 5/58
Biology: 1/12
Anc: 6/18
PE: 1/18
Design tech: 8/12

I understand not having the back up is risky, but to be honest I do put alot of effort into my school work and deep down I believe I can achieve well in the other subjects.

And also, design and technolgoy would no doubt be my poorest subject and thus, would not be counted to my HSC anyway. So all that work for nothing?

I am looking for some guidance! If you were in my position would you drop it?

I've always been a 12 unit supporter, but Im starting to have second thoughts.

jackc91

rumpleshit
HSC
If I were you I would drop down to 10 units. If D&T is affecting your other subjects as you say it is and you are not achieving then I dont see the reason to carry 12 units. Put your focus into your other units.

Freckles14

HSC
Do you actually like Design & Tech?

If not, because you have the reasons of finding it boring, it taking up too much time etc... I'd say drop it. You'll have extra free periods to spend on your other subjects / relaxing, whatever you do with free periods. :)

And about the "safety net" thing... you said you put a lot of effort in - so why keep it? Especially if you think it'll end up not counting.

I dropped Ancient History for similar reasons so I'd say drop D&T.

That's my advice :)

ah.sport

HSC
N/A
I'd drop it, especially seeing as your doing worst in it and it's tkaing time away from your other subjects that you're going really well in.

You just have to be sure that you want to drop it and that you won't regret it, or screw up in your other subjects.

But, it looks like you're doing well, so I'd go for it

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
id drop it if i were you. if i could go back id drop physics for similiar reasons. i would have saved a heck of alot of time where i could have been doing more important things.

shady145

Banned
HSC
o hi. im doing 14 units and i do DAT, but i havnt even started my Major yet.
have you tulii?
I think im gonna have to drop it aswell, because we have to do 60 page portfolio and do that whole design process, the only thing is im coming 1st in it=(. although if you think you cannot get very good then probably drop it as it doesnt scale excellent, just a bit lower than bio i think. the good thing about DAT is u can basically do the whole course in school time and no homework. i have never done any hhomework for it yet.

dp624

HSC
@ OP:
I would drop it if I were you.
Probably won't count in the end

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
Thank you guys so much. :eek:

It seems so obvious to drop it now, I guess all you need is some BOS reinforcement.

Yes, I do like DT, but I dont love it and the motivation and time to complete the project is limited.

Shady: I have started the MDP, I have nearly completed the proposal but it has taken a shit load of time. Congrats on ranking first, I find this subject difficult to do well in.

Thanks again. I can already feel the weight lifting of my shoulders.

:shoot:D+T

eggy91

HSC
Oooo I'm doing all the same subjects as you now and yeah dropping it is probably a good choice because you know how much work PDHPE is!! Btw what UAI you going for? It's quite difficult for people like us to get a UAI of 90+ cause we need to get like 87-88/100 in every subject which is hard.

ubermale

HSC
It seems so obvious to drop it now
Good decision. I was on 13 units (with design and tech) in term 4 last year and I was coming first, but, like you, my time being was consumed by these 2 units that I didn't particularly have a passion for.

As soon as you drop it you will start to improve in your other subjects (e.g. I came first in MX1 for the first time once I dropped it, since I previously had little time to practice MX1).

The only problem I had in dropping d&t is the fact that my old teacher was really annoyed at his top-ranked student dropping the subject, and as a result he reacted very dramatically. He turned to the class and shouted out, "There goes our marks everyone!". :jaw:

Rainie

HSC
He turned to the class and shouted out, "There goes our marks everyone!". :jaw:
That wasn't very nice of your teacher...anyway to OP, your ranks seem fine to me. But if you think you can further improve your other ranks in the spare time for your other subjects, then I suggest you drop D&T. I heard my friends say that the major work is one major bitch. So if you have no interest/motivation or career in that industry, I advise its wise to drop it :eek:

I personally do 12 units because i'm struggling in one subject. After the mid-year exams i'll see how I go and maybe decide to drop a unit or keep it :)

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
Oooo I'm doing all the same subjects as you now and yeah dropping it is probably a good choice because you know how much work PDHPE is!! Btw what UAI you going for? It's quite difficult for people like us to get a UAI of 90+ cause we need to get like 87-88/100 in every subject which is hard.

Awesome. Great minds think alike? eheh..

I agree, PE has ALOT of content to cover. I'm glad enjoy it, or I would probably drown in syllabus dot points.

Because I have no idea what im going to make of my life after school, I don't have a definate UAI aim.

Just to get the highest possible mark I guess, to keep my options open.

90 or above would be AMAZING.

Good luck in your subjects!!

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
he reacted very dramatically. He turned to the class and shouted out, "There goes our marks everyone!". :jaw:

Holy Crap. That would have made you feel GREAAT.

Ignorant teachers like that need to be slapped around the face.

eggy91

HSC
Awesome. Great minds think alike? eheh..

I agree, PE has ALOT of content to cover. I'm glad enjoy it, or I would probably drown in syllabus dot points.

Because I have no idea what im going to make of my life after school, I don't have a definate UAI aim.

Just to get the highest possible mark I guess, to keep my options open.

90 or above would be AMAZING.

Good luck in your subjects!!
Ha, same here I enjoy PDHPE (fave sub) and am thinking of doing some type of course in the health/exercise/rehab field so i need about 88 which will be difficult! Thanks, good luck in your subjects aswell. Btw how do you know your ranks already?

Ak0ona-Matata

HSC
DROP IT!

i made da mistake of not dropping the subject i was doing bad in and in
my hsc "wot a shocker" it ddn't get get counted in.

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
In all honesty, DROP IT. If it's taking too much time out of your other subjects and you know you can do well in the other ones, drop it. That's what I'm doing with Japanese. I know dropping down to 10 units is uber freaky, but hey, my sisters did it and they said that it was the best thing ever. It gave them enough time to focus on stuff they were bad at and to perfect what needed to be perfected in their subjects. And as you said, it probably won't count at the end of the day, so is there really any point in having a backup subject when your backup is hurting the real 10 units?
Thanks heaps! you make me feel alot better. I'm not going to lie, I'm hell scared to drop because of the underlying fear that I may flake out in one of my subjects.
But dropping will give me more time to truely focus on the five subjects, and I think, ultimately it will make me work harder.

And DT being DT, dropping it WILL give me alot more time.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Here is my situation analysis for you:

Action: You drop it
Consequences:
- You will have 10 units
- Supposedly, you will be happy because you dropped the course that you don't really like
- You will have more time for your subjects

Negatives (I always start with the negatives)
- Your "back-up" is gone
- There is a possibility that you could have done better in that subject (hypothetical situation)

Positives
- More study period
- More time to focus on each subect, hence better chance to do well in all your subjects
- Less stress

What's your verdict?

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
Here is my situation analysis for you:

Action: You drop it
Consequences:
- You will have 10 units
- Supposedly, you will be happy because you dropped the course that you don't really like
- You will have more time for your subjects

Negatives (I always start with the negatives)
- Your "back-up" is gone
- There is a possibility that you could have done better in that subject (hypothetical situation)

Positives
- More study period
- More time to focus on each subect, hence better chance to do well in all your subjects
- Less stress

What's your verdict?
Aw, you made me a PMI (as a D+T student would say)

Hm, well for starters there are more Positives than Negatives quantity wise..

The fact that it is my back up is what is eating me. Im sub-conciously thinking up What if scenarios. What if my brain implodes while im doing biology... What if I make an ongoing mistake through out an exam...

But I WILL have more free time to study and do what ever I can to prevent the impossible from happening... uh...I am already losing my mind.

So far my two closest friends say they would drop if they were in my position,
my sister agree's
My mum is still trying to understand what a unit is...
Majority of BOS recommends dropping

So it seems obvious?

I am going to drop Design and technology, and complete the HSC with 10 units.

:bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)