Onstage 2010: Best of 09 HSC (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
To those who are going, or have already gone, to onSTAGE this year. Which program did you see? Which performances did you like?

LateForTea

HSC
Went today, and the performances were really good, although, I think last year was a little better. Watched Program Two. The GPs outshined the IPs, in my opinion, but there was one IP that was amazing - 'Bleak House', so very engaging. My favourite GPs were, 'Mr. Economy', 'Luxury' & 'Fruit of the Loins'. Funny, entertaining, engaging and pretty much brilliant. 'The Cause, My Soul' was so brilliantly put together as well, and very clever.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I was there today as well. I was one of the few people not wearing a school uniform :)

I loved the story of Iphigenia in Orem. I thought once the whole thing was told, it was very clever. Bleak House was great as well, though the ending seemed a little sudden.

The Cause, My Soul; I felt was the most original of them. It was a great performance telling a great story. Most of them seemed very 'Onstage-y', the same sort of thing which deservingly comes up every year. Not that this is bad, mind you.

Luxury was great as well, as was Fruit of the Loins. Loved the dance number in Luxury, as did most of the audience from the applause. :)

Tangent

HSC
I got to see performance 1

OMG!!!! "apparently i've comminted a horrendous crime" was hilarious. -"ive made friends with all four walls. i like you the most...dont tell the others"
Most hilarious IP i have ever seen.
"Her eyes...she had eyes, which is a good thing. And her arms...she hand no arms"

The program ended on a high note, finishing with "Fruit of the Loins". It paid out everyone, very much slapstick humour.

A great day spent. I would love to make it there next year.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, went there today- it was amazing, and intimidating =\
Saw program A- apparently I've committed a horrendous crime, the princess and the problem and fruit of the loins were especially good. Definitely worth going :D

But now we're all really worried that we have to make our GPs that awesome, which is scary D:

LateForTea

HSC
I was there today as well. I was one of the few people not wearing a school uniform :)

I loved the story of Iphigenia in Orem. I thought once the whole thing was told, it was very clever. Bleak House was great as well, though the ending seemed a little sudden.

The Cause, My Soul; I felt was the most original of them. It was a great performance telling a great story. Most of them seemed very 'Onstage-y', the same sort of thing which deservingly comes up every year. Not that this is bad, mind you.

Luxury was great as well, as was Fruit of the Loins. Loved the dance number in Luxury, as did most of the audience from the applause. :)
Hah, I was in uniform sadly, in horrible patterned green skirts.

Yes, 'Iphigenia in Orem' was really good, no one moved or made a sound, and once we realised what happened, it was like 'woooooooooooow'. Honestly, though, the whole time I was thinking, 'Really, a plastic cup?' It was so out of place! Haha.

Mm, they were quite Onstage-y, some performances reminded me of last years. Also! Did you notice how all the IP's had American (or similar) accents? My drama class had come to the conclusion that to perform at Onstage, we must come up with a kickass accent.

THE DANCE NUMBER WAS AMAZING. We had a pretty good audience, hey? I loved the massive applause that 'Mr. Economy' recieved from their reference to 'Sham Wow' !

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
THE DANCE NUMBER WAS AMAZING. We had a pretty good audience, hey? I loved the massive applause that 'Mr. Economy' recieved from their reference to 'Sham Wow' !
The dance was pretty impressive, especially the main male dancer. The audience loved it.

I noticed the accents as well. Though I've been to quite a few, and a lot of IP's haven't had them. It just seemed strange that this program did.

'Iphigenia in Orem' reminded me a bit of the book I'm reading now. A businessman accidently kills a rival businessmans son (peanut allergy; and he had poured the kid some milk after eating thai food). He then ends up in this huge downward spiral.

HSC
i saw program one yesterday

i've comitted a a horrendous crime was good (or stick boy as we lovingly call him) it was really funny but you could kind of tell he had written it himself, his performance seemed a bit self conscious but a nice piece of eye candy.

fruit of the loins was sooooo good! so funny and just awesome.

didn't like the last letter...too much stuff crammed into one 8-12 minute performance. i couldn't really make out what they were actually saying alot of the time too.

all in all a very entertaining day, im not really one to pass judgment but they were some of the things our class discussed

cassiecocaine

HSC
I was so bummed when I realised I'd missed out on tickets to go with this years year 12's ): I wanted to see it so bad haha

Readaholic

HSC
Uni Grad
A low opinion of reality- Amazing timing.
Bleak House- very witty and funny.
The Cause, My Soul- My absolute favourite!! It must have taken so much research. Great concept and execution.
The last days of Judas Iscariot- Did anyone else just feeling like giving him a hug??

Did anyone else notice all the american accents and choral work? looks like the judges like that kind of stuff. Then again last year seemed to have a lot of British accent. Maybe every year has a different accent theme, I wonder what 2011 will be?

Amilee

HSC

yeah disapointed I must say. They were good, bleak house was very good but I wasn't impressed with this years. Oh and your so very very right. Very onstage! What happened?! Last year they had a transgender woman talking about how she was raped and bashed and some chick that kills her husband and cooks him! Those were interesting. That was theater. This year was just bunch of 18 year olds doing quaint pieces that they thought would be liked even by the lowest common denominator. Hope you guys doing drama this year will get out there and do something interesting. Because I think at the end of the day the onstage judges are looking for innovative impressive work. Stuff that stands out and says "You could potentially be seeing this performance at the Belvior downstairs"

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
To be honest, a lot of the really interesting theatre is banned by HSC Drama guidelines...

yo gabba

HSC
This year was frigen awsome! i saw both programmes
especially loved 'i think iv commited a horrendous crime' and 'the princess and the problem!' for IP and for GP th best was 'seek and ye shall find '
met the guy that did the horrendous crime , hes brilliant!

allykat92

HSC
I watched program 1. My favorite group pieces were definitely "To a DeGREED" and "Fruit of the Loins" and for the monolugues, "Apparently I Have Committed a Horrendus Crime" and the princess one were amazing! 3 weeks later our drama class is STILL in awe!

TLyudacris

HSC
Watched Program 1 and there were great ones and terrible ones

Seek and Ye Shall Find - Really good group work, didnt like the subject matter (since it was really directed at women and i'm a dude :p) and there were a lot of bits where they just used actual TV ads and I felt that was just plain un-original

Winnie - a boring monologue that i really disliked, i mean she was a good actress kept her accent but it was a absurdist play that i just didnt care for at all (also for the people that watched program 1 the bit where she tries to get that bag on the ground was NOT funny at all)

The Task - alright, didnt understand what they were saying half the time (its only cause its such a big space and they didnt get mics...

Apparently I've Committed a Horrendous Crime - Great monologue, really funny, great use of the prop overall i think the best one

To a De(greed) - Good subject but didnt explore it enough, the end didnt have a good resolution... but great use of dramatic techniques and humor

The Last Letter - Boring, personally didnt enjoy it (and dont get me wrong i'm not the hurr durr everythings gotta be funny guy but it was just too serious but it didn't emotionally get me at all)

THe Princess and the Problem - funny, BUT it was not a good monologue just kept going on and on and just kept using dick jokes, didnt enjoy it. It was more a comedy central sketch then a monologue

The Last Days of Judas Iscariot - good monologue but slowed the day down... and the massive stage was not suited for his monologue it would've been way better in a small theatre.

Fruit of the Loins - Funny, but didnt think it was a great story, but great use of group dramatic techniques

PHEW thats my run down on my onSTAGE experience :p

allykat92

HSC
TLyudacris, I agree about Winnie, The Task and The Last Letter. I was bored for most of them xD But The Last Letter made good use of their space/blocking/props.

Seek and Ye Shall Find was interesting, they hit a chord with us girls, and the use of literature (In Xanadu did Kubla Khan...etc.) was a good technique.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Only just clicked that I actually know the guy who did Princess and the Problem. At uni with him. Nice guy.

Chrisloca

HSC
i saw the first one.

i have to say i LOVED 'apparently ive committed a horrendous crime' and the 'the princess and the problem'. they were both brilliantly constructed. i thought some of the group pieces were lacking a bit, as i also saw last years Onstage, and the group ones there were much more tightly put together. overall it was a great time though

gavskiez

HSC
I thought they were decent overall but only a few were actually real standouts. Absolutely loved Bleak House (i'm doing extracts from the same play for my IP, woohoo) and the horrendous crime one (though the audience presumably from his school was pissing me off, I get the excitement factor but they were cheering so much that it would've been hard to get through.) The Princess and the Problem was really entertaining, and i liked Fruit of the Loins and The Last Days of Judas Iscariot as well. I thought everything else was kind of "meh"; the board of studies are freaks about censorship. Though on that note i'm not sure how the GP about vaginas got in (only based on the raunchy content - i still thought it was damn brilliant!)

ImAgInE94

HSC
fruit of the lions and iffignia in orem or something like that were really entertaining in their own respects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)