Opal Cards (1 Viewer)

HSC
I was looking today on the Opal Card website and children/youth opal cards are now available... Does this card apply for university students with a travel concession or do we need to wait for another card to be rolled out??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I was looking today on the Opal Card website and children/youth opal cards are now available... Does this card apply for university students with a travel concession or do we need to wait for another card to be rolled out??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You will have to wait.

D94

HSC
N/A
It's pretty stupid how they haven't introduced concession opal cards yet
How so? Not all buses have Opal card readers installed so many students would need to purchase extra tickets so you're back where you started, but probably paying more. It would not be fair if half the students pay more/less than the other half.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
How so? Not all buses have Opal card readers installed so many students would need to purchase extra tickets so you're back where you started, but probably paying more. It would not be fair if half the students pay more/less than the other half.
The only students that would require that would be students who make heavy use of MyMultis. That might be the norm at UNSW, but at every other uni in Sydney - not so much.

I dont think being "fair" is a point they have even considered - there are plenty of people not on concession who might be prevented from using Opal cards for the same reason.

D94

HSC
N/A
The only students that would require that would be students who make heavy use of MyMultis. That might be the norm at UNSW, but at every other uni in Sydney - not so much.

I dont think being "fair" is a point they have even considered - there are plenty of people not on concession who might be prevented from using Opal cards for the same reason.
There are students who first take the bus to a station then a train to Redfern or Central, that go to USYD or UTS. Taking the bus and going to USYD/UTS are not mutually exclusive. Likewise, not all UNSW students take the bus to uni - it might surprise you that around 40% of students don't take public transport to UNSW. Even if we only consider those students, you can't have half of those having to pay more (than usual) than the other half because bus services in their area don't have the card readers.

Those who pay full fare will still benefit, whether they use Opal or use their current MyMulti's or MyTrains - because of the cap in how much Opal will charge per week, whether or not they use Opal, they will still save compared to buying individual tickets. Yes, there may be customers who pay more than others, but they still save money overall.

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
How much will students/concessions save on Opal Cards? Haven't heard much about it in my closed off world but would it be cheaper than say buying a monthly?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Honestly, my multi is still better.

Because you can use them for buses even here in woop-woop (my area).

Can't use Opal except for train rides here though.

The other good thing about using the tickets is that you can just buy the travel tens and load them in your arsenal for whenever you need a random bus ride.

bangladesh

HSC
i only catch the train so I'm pretty keen for it to come out

pHyRe

HSC
i think my train monthlys are cheaper for adults. or maybe it was my train quarterlies.

either way, doesn't matter. not out for students....

integral95

HSC
I asked one of the opal guys at the stations before, concession cards come out next year

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
So how will they check and know the opal card has been topped up or not?

D94

HSC
N/A
Will Staff, Police or Transport Officers be able to check my Opal card?
Transport Officers can check a customer’s journey information using a portable Opal card reader.
You must immediately produce the Opal card that you are using, if requested to do so by an Authorised Officer and co-operate with us and NSW Police in endeavouring to recover an Opal card if it is lost, stolen or if we suspect activity in relation to the Opal card.

https://www.opal.com.au/en/faqs/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)