dolbinau

HSC
Takuto said:
it said HOW could you

lol

you didnt really need to state information on tympanic membrane i reck

just how to get it

anyone else?
I think the methods of 1st hand/second hand investigation would reveal you know what a tympanic membrane is, I think. But I guess. I didn't define what one was so I hope it's not part of the criteria.

danz90

HSC
adnan91 said:
Thats the function of the eustachian tube?
yes thats correct
but i've also read somewhere that tympanic membrane also plays a role in equalising pressure, and that pressure is equal on both sides of the membrane. lol if the marker don't like it, then hopefully my two other points will suffice.

summermagic

HSC
danz90 said:
yes thats correct
but i've also read somewhere that tympanic membrane also plays a role in equalising pressure, and that pressure is equal on both sides of the membrane. lol if the marker don't like it, then hopefully my two other points will suffice.
Nah it can't equalise pressure when it just sits there creating the pressure difference in the first place.

My friend said that we were meant to mention that 'the frequency of the sound is the same as the frequency of the vibration of the source of the sound' and so you had to see whether the disk on the knee vibrated with the same frequency of a sound which you play next to the insect.

nymphae

HSC
Uni Grad
*stick insect in blu-tak under microscope
*innundate with sound
*observe membrane.

The fun part is it seems the 60+ Bio candidates at my school all had similar experiments. Teehee.

Also -- in terms of the role of the tympanic membrane... are you sure you're not just thinking of its role in HUMANS? Which would thus be irrelevant in terms of insects because while the membrane exists in both, the structures behind are different? i.e. do insects have ossciles? I didn't think they did [but granted, I spent the majority of years 11/12 biology drawing cartoons of how little I wanted to be there...]

Mongoz

DySFuNcTioNal
HSC
screwed commnication
lost 6 markz didnt even attempttttttttttttt
but i tried mi best wrote 4 pages for 7 mark and a whole page for the last oneeee
NO MORE BIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:cool:

chomp

HSC
For the tympannic membrane one the source part was easy... it was just asking about like how to ensure you get areliable source etc.
But i completely stuffed up the experiement part... I said model it through a 3d model i.e at the tympannic mebrane it vibrates when sound gets to it etc... epic fail for that part of it

ALSO
for the technologies and when we talked about cochlea and hearing aid...did we have to talk about energy transfer?

DA15Y

HSC
oh gosh guys, u r makin me feel bad abt dis question, i didnt even noe wat da hell they were talkin abt so i was keep goin on abt using secondary source to get info abt their behaviours n crap, didnt even think dat i needed to state wat a tympanic membrane do, lol oh well, dats band 6 down the drain

HSC
chomp said:
ALSO
for the technologies and when we talked about cochlea and hearing aid...did we have to talk about energy transfer?
i kinda did... as in, you know how the question asked about 'understanding of processes for hearing and sight'? well i basically said 'an understanding of processes of hearing such as (insert part of ear), which converts sound energy into electrochemical, has allowed us to come up with technologies to perform the same function blah blah (explain technology)' etc something like that.

DA15Y said:
oh gosh guys, u r makin me feel bad abt dis question, i didnt even noe wat da hell they were talkin abt so i was keep goin on abt using secondary source to get info abt their behaviours n crap, didnt even think dat i needed to state wat a tympanic membrane do, lol oh well, dats band 6 down the drain
you would have indirectly stated it in the 'first-hand investigation' part because conducting an investigation on it would require knowing its function/characteristics. don't worry, i stupidly wrote about tymbals instead of tympanic membrane (even though i know it's an eardrum), heaps of other people in the state would have screwed up that one too

Last edited:

chomp

HSC
Well i for example for microphone for hearing aid "detects sound and converts it to electrical signal'

SH33P

k lol...
HSC
how much did you write for the communication question on the tympanic membrane? How much do u think we should of wrote?

also where would u find information about the tympanic membrane?

thanks guys

HSC
chomp said:
Well i for example for microphone for hearing aid "detects sound and converts it to electrical signal'
if you referred to the question (how an understanding of processes in hearing led to this) then you're fine. if not, you're proving that you understand how a hearing aid works, but you're not really answering the question.

did you say that an understanding of the hairs in the Organ of Corti and how they can be damaged and therefore need a louder sound to respond to has resulted in the development of technology to do this, then explained the hearing aid? i'm no teacher but i think you'd have to refer to that.

how much did you write for the communication question on the tympanic membrane? How much do u think we should of wrote?

also where would u find information about the tympanic membrane?
it's impossible to say how much you should have written. it depends on writing size, how concisely you wrote the answer etc i can't remember but i think i wrote about a page or just over for that one.

i wrote that you could find information in scientific journals (as these sources are generally reliable), biology textbooks, that sort of thing.

Last edited:

chomp

HSC
no i did not cause it only asked about the developments of the technologies

HSC
chomp said:
no i did not cause it only asked about the developments of the technologies
didn't the question ask how an understanding of processes in sights and sounds led to the development of the technologies? an understanding of processes = understanding of parts of the eye/ear that allow sight/hearing. for example in the eye an understanding of the lens has allowed the development of surgery/lenses to correct myopia and hyperopia...

unless, however, i interpreted the question incorrectly or aren't remembering it properly. if anyone else interpreted the question differently to me, post what you thought it meant, just so i can gauge my answer.

chomp

HSC
it did so i said due to the understanding of the eye has led to developments to treat myopia hyperopia etc

HSC
chomp said:
it did so i said due to the understanding of the eye has led to developments to treat myopia hyperopia etc
oh okay, well yeah that's correct.

summermagic

HSC
Question said:
People can have problems with communication because of difficulties in the send, receiving or interpretation of some signals.

How has an increased understanding of the processes of sight and hearing led to the improved assistance for people with difficulties in communicating? 7 marks
What I basically did was to write about how learning about the _____ part of the ear led to the creation of hearing aids. So I tried to balance out my knowledge of how the ear and eye function with knowledge of how hearing aids, myopia etc. What I forgot to mention was cataracts. Reckon they'll be looking for that, cause there's a dot point on it.

HSC
summermagic said:
Question said:

What I basically did was to write about how learning about the _____ part of the ear led to the creation of hearing aids.
awesome, that's exactly how i interpreted it :) so i wasn't wrong, yay!

So I tried to balance out my knowledge of how the ear and eye function with knowledge of how hearing aids, myopia etc. What I forgot to mention was cataracts. Reckon they'll be looking for that, cause there's a dot point on it.
yeah, i did what you did. i did cataracts, though, as well as myopia/hyperopia and cochlear implants/hearing aids.

crookesy99

HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
membrane one just asked for how using experiment and secondary sources could u identify the structure as membrane.

no definitions needed? all u had to do outline experiment that would identify if the structure detected sound and use secondary sources of info of membranes and compare this to structure i mean not that hard

I agree...its not as difficult as people made it out to be...

COMPARATIVE ANATOMY....

too easy

crookesy99

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
awesome, that's exactly how i interpreted it :) so i wasn't wrong, yay!

yeah, i did what you did. i did cataracts, though, as well as myopia/hyperopia and cochlear implants/hearing aids.
ditto....im sure u will do fine :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)