Organising Work (merged) (1 Viewer)

Folders or Books?

• Total voters

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Re: Folders or Books?

i'm going to buy new folders tomorrow they are too full know ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how can this happen

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

marcquelle said:
i was like that at the end of year 11.

This i how i did it.

i brought a folder and paper.

Any work i did in term 4 I rewrote and put in folders.

Then any notes i did during the holidays i did on the loose leaf paper and just carried on from then.

What i suggest you do is when T3 Finishes go out and by folders etc. and then term 4 just start doing everything on the paper and it will just come naturally.

But thats just how i went about it.
Thanks, I'll try it :).

bettina44

HSC

i use loose leaf sheets so that i can take them out when i finish a topic and beats carrying all that excess wieght.i wouldn't mind using a laptop but there's the issue where it might get stolen.

Cerry

HSC

bettina44 said:
i use loose leaf sheets so that i can take them out when i finish a topic and beats carrying all that excess wieght.i wouldn't mind using a laptop but there's the issue where it might get stolen.
Stolen is the least of your worries...it's much more common for a computer to freeze halfway through writing an assessment task, and for half of it to be lost.
Or for a virus to wipe part or all of your drive or just stop a useful program like word from working.
Or for some part of hardware to give out, making the computer useless. For example, since the beginning of this year, I've had my motherboard, heat synch, charger and battery die. All of which have caused the computer to stop working/spontaneously reboot, making files inaccessable/causing unsaved data to be lost (yes, my laptop sucks ass, but I get a new one next year).

If you want to use a laptop, you have to be a paranoid back-up maker.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

Cerry said:
Stolen is the least of your worries...it's much more common for a computer to freeze halfway through writing an assessment task, and for half of it to be lost.
Or for a virus to wipe part or all of your drive or just stop a useful program like word from working.
Or for some part of hardware to give out, making the computer useless. For example, since the beginning of this year, I've had my motherboard, heat synch, charger and battery die. All of which have caused the computer to stop working/spontaneously reboot, making files inaccessable/causing unsaved data to be lost (yes, my laptop sucks ass, but I get a new one next year).

i am everything gets saved at the end of a day onto a CD which is dated and placed in a wallet, then i backup my laptop at the end of every term. but i only use it for making my second lot of notes and my assigns, i do the same with my work at school, on their computers which have a habit of "going down" so everything i do at school gets saved on my thumb drived then backed up again at home lol
i'm paranoid alright.

bored of sc

HSC

I don't actually know what type of folders I have. :eek:

selablad

HSC

Depends on the subject for me, maths I have very tidy exercise books, English has no notes, just random scribblings and doodles on bits of paper...

But I'm trialling folders and loose-leaf for my science subjects this semester. I did it a bit last year but wasn't very organised with it :( But that was because I didn't really get folders specifically for the subjects, just kind of scrapped all the papers together into whatever folder I could find... But this time I'm going quite well, feeling very organised and stuff. And it's so much easier just carrying around one notebook (with rip-out pages) than all those books and stuff.

So folders has my vote, for now...:D

bettina44

HSC

Cerry said:

funny that,i just lost my physics notes today but i backed it up
but our school has a history of things like ipods,mobiles and wallets getting stolen ,even the fire extingisher got once got stolen

shimmer205

HSC

My best friend is this ring bound book with dividers and periforated sheets - one section for each subject, sheets go in the dividors (which double as sheet pockets) and when I finish something all the work and sheets are removed and put in my big folders for each subject. It's so damn organised and my bag weighs nothing; I only have what I need. Books and glue are the way of the past! lol

havoc-x

HSC

after browsing this post, i am now swapping to folders and loose leaf :)

spoonbender

HSC

I'm old fashioned. I like the humble exercise book. I started a folder for my sheets at the beginning of the year. It currently has a total of about 5 sheets in it.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

spoonbender said:
I'm old fashioned. I like the humble exercise book. I started a folder for my sheets at the beginning of the year. It currently has a total of about 5 sheets in it.
Actually, according to my teacher, they didn't have exercise books back in the old days, so you had to use loose leaf paper. So you aren't so old fashioned.

Aplus

HSC
N/A

Starting in Year 12, I'm going to attempt to organise my folders to an even greater extent. Mathematics will be divided into theory and homework section, with tabs to keep check on topics learnt. With other subjects, I'll try to use dividers to organise the section into relevant modules. Although this kind of contradicts the point of having a folder as I'd be carrying a heavier load than if I used books...

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Yeah, but you can only take the modules that you'll need for the day and leave the rest at home. If you took books, you'd be carrying everything around. :)

Aplus

HSC
N/A

The main problem I have with books, is that they are completely unorganised. There is no way to effectively organise books so that you know where each section/module starts and ends. All the information is just all over the place.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

I have an everything book which i do everything in. When it fills up, i just get another everything book, which happens every 2 or 3 weeks. I don't see the point of taking notes in class, i just need to look like i'm doing work.

If i get assignments/assessments, i just put the piece of paper somewhere on my desk at home so I'll remember to do it when i see it.

selablad

HSC

foram said:
I have an everything book which i do everything in. When it fills up, i just get another everything book, which happens every 2 or 3 weeks. I don't see the point of taking notes in class, i just need to look like i'm doing work.

If i get assignments/assessments, i just put the piece of paper somewhere on my desk at home so I'll remember to do it when i see it.
I have an everything book too, except I actually do work in it :D Basically it is one of those ones that you rip pages off, with the glue stuff on the top, and I write down whatever I need to, but I'm more of a listening-learner so I don't take many notes. I do calculations in my everything book too. Then when I get home, I rip off the pages with actual notes and put them in folders, and chuck the other pages with random doodles/scribbles/calculations/whatever into the recycling pile. It's good :D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

Continuum said:
Yeah, but you can only take the modules that you'll need for the day and leave the rest at home. If you took books, you'd be carrying everything around. :)
And the scary thing is that if you lose it, you've lost everything.

spoonbender

HSC

the-derivative said:
Actually, according to my teacher, they didn't have exercise books back in the old days, so you had to use loose leaf paper. So you aren't so old fashioned.
Ok. I'm new fashioned then. ...well, not new fashioned enough to use a laptop, but dammit the old-ness of my fashion isn't the point! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)