Oxford (1 Viewer)

jellybeenz

HSC
Don't worry about being immature. You'd be surprised how much year 12 (and finishing yr 12) can make you grow up. I'm guessing you are only 16, and by the time you turn 18 a million things will change. At 16 the amount of wild parties I had been to was limited but once Year 12 hit things changed a lot. Don't compare yourself with others or what you think a teenager's level of maturity should be, don't think about things so much (this is very hypocritical of me to say lol) and just let the next 18 months happen.

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, but Classics is something that can be your passion for your whole life without it being your profession or without having a degree in it. Does it really matter when you do a Classics degree? There is no rush to study it before you get sucked into medicine. You have your whole life to do anything you want and the likelihood of people our age staying in one job for their whole lives is actually quite slim.

What I'm saying is, a medicine degree would make your parents happy, it would make you happy as well. You can go overseas, you can help the disadvantaged and you can have the degree in Classics from Oxford. By the time you finish medicine and have worked for a while (will have your own money), you will be your own person, your parents can't stop or control you in any way, so why not just wait a while.

Reactions: QZP
Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
jellybeenz said:
Don't worry about being immature. You'd be surprised how much year 12 (and finishing yr 12) can make you grow up. I'm guessing you are only 16, and by the time you turn 18 a million things will change. At 16 the amount of wild parties I had been to was limited but once Year 12 hit things changed a lot. Don't compare yourself with others or what you think a teenager's level of maturity should be, don't think about things so much (this is very hypocritical of me to say lol) and just let the next 18 months happen.

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, but Classics is something that can be your passion for your whole life without it being your profession or without having a degree in it. Does it really matter when you do a Classics degree? There is no rush to study it before you get sucked into medicine. You have your whole life to do anything you want and the likelihood of people our age staying in one job for their whole lives is actually quite slim.

What I'm saying is, a medicine degree would make your parents happy, it would make you happy as well. You can go overseas, you can help the disadvantaged and you can have the degree in Classics from Oxford. By the time you finish medicine and have worked for a while (will have your own money), you will be your own person, your parents can't stop or control you in any way, so why not just wait a while.
velox said:
meh he's 12 anyway.

No offence here, but the way it seems you're parents still have a very asian attitude which means you should go study law or medicine even if you hate it, and make them proud.
Hmmm, I guess you guys are right, I should shelve the classics and make the parents happy. At least I may end up getting a good inheritance at the end of it all, might make it worthwhile, and if I get into medicine the parents will give me an apartment/car/allowance/enough electronics to last me a decade

Generator

HSC
N/A
It's always fun when a kid shelves their dreams/desires just to appease their mum and dad, and it's even better when the mum and dad shower gifts on the kid for making such a decision and seeing it through to the end.

Part of being mature is realising that you must grow up and assert yourself at some stage. They may be your parents, but at the same time it will be your life. Just be sure that you are happy with whatever you may choose and that this decision is reached for the right reasons, not just for the sake of pleasing your old man and woman (this may be one of many reasons that you consider, but in my mind it should be a non-issue).

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
From what I have gathered from u and ur folks, it appears you are a spoilt rich kid who has been given everything they ever wanted and because of this is trying to rebel. Good luck to you and go for Oxford or some other uni as an international student and study your Arts Degree, just to spite your parents.

If I'm wrong in my assumption, plz tell me why

X

xeuyrawp

Korn said:
From what I have gathered from u and ur folks, it appears you are a spoilt rich kid who has been given everything they ever wanted and because of this is trying to rebel. Good luck to you and go for Oxford or some other uni as an international student and study your Arts Degree, just to spite your parents.
I got that vibe as well. That rich kid thing makes me gag. I don't think I would ever let my parents buy me
stella said:
an apartment/car/allowance/enough electronics to last me a decade
Oh, the decisions. Should I go Oxford, or Cambridge? Gucci or Louis? Anyway, why did you say money was an issue at the beginning of this thread when it's clearly not. But anyway, you seem very dependent on your parents and I doubt you'd do well at any international uni.

edit: this thread has died. :uhhuh:

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
stella8h8chang said:
3. Money. It costs something to the tune of over A$20000 a year to do a classics degree at Oxford.

Reasons: Classics is one of my passions.
Where some choose to collect stamps, you choose a hobby that will cost somewhere in the vicinity of $80,000.

*sigh*

X

xeuyrawp

Lhyviathan said:
Where some choose to collect stamps, you choose a hobby that will cost somewhere in the vicinity of $80,000.

*sigh*
heheh well said. Lhyv- in your avatar, is that what I think it is? Starting with G?

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
How do you even go to oxford and such anyway without paying a lot.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Yeh but what sort of scholarships are offered, i mean for what, and how do you get them, and so on.

X

xeuyrawp

011 said:
Yeh but what sort of scholarships are offered, i mean for what, and how do you get them, and so on.
I can safely say that none of us would ever have a chance at an oxon. scholarship

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Rhodes scholarships? I know they are for that university. But I don't think they're the only ones.

X

xeuyrawp

Korn said:
The guy who scored UAI 100 last year, he is/was a Bos member
One person got 100 in my year, and 2 the previous year. UAI would actually have very little to do with oxon entry.

011 said:
Rhodes scholarships?
I think, although I could be wrong, Rhodes Scholars are generally more experienced academics, rather than high-school grads.

Edit: Yes, the last statement is correct. Also, you need to already hold a Bachelor's degree or equiv as well as have a lot of academic (ie, lots of research) and practical experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)