• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

P1 Restrictions coming July07! (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
j_davo24 said:
Unfortunately that would never work. It gives too much power to the police. For example if a person is doing 150 on the freeway with nobody in sight, then all the police have to say is there was someone and you just didn't see them. Then it ends up being you word against theirs. Might not happen very often but still hard to enforce.

I think in theory the idea is great though. I do disagree that i can't be simplified. Can I ask why we need speed zones for 50,60,70,80,90,100 and 110km/h? Why not get rid of 70 and 90 altogether? And increasing the freeway limit to 120 seems reasonable (not 30-40km/h over what it already is). There has been debate about doing this for some time and politicians have just ignored it.

Finally what does everyone think of the idea of new speed camera trap vans like they have in Victoria? IMO it proves that speed cameras are simply placed for strategic revenue raising rather than to slow people down for safety reasons. I also notice this plan wasn't announced before the election earlier this year...
It does but you would think most police would be able to handle it without pulling people over just because they are having a bad day. I think a bigger problem would be pressure to give a certain amount of fines per day while still applying common sense. The big problem we have now is no matter how many times they say it is about safety it is really about raising revenue.

We need that many speed limits because there are that many different roads. I would just like to see better consistency. I would agree with raising the speed limit on highways but as it is some people aren't capable of doing 110 because they are too scared or whatever. I don't think these people should be on the road but they are and will always be. It is much simpler for some people to choose to go faster with the knowledge that some people are going slow and they need to be aware of them, rather than force everyone to go faster.

I drive all the time and basically everyone I see is speeding.... but rarely do I see anyone speeding dangerously. It's easy to use safety as an excuse but in practice 99% of people effected would be safe drivers. You can always say 'just don't speed and you won't get caught' but speed limits are too slow and it is so easy to go a bit over if you are watching the road like you should be. It won't stop people speeding, everyone will just be constantly on the look out for these vans and will end up being less safe drivers.

The thing with these vans are they could have a huge effect or they could have a very little effect depending on how they are used. If you gave me one I could go out and get hundreds of people easily... but they might only be used sparingly.

If they do start really targeting people I expect I'll be getting caught plenty... and that will be it for me I'll move overseas after that. I'd like to continue living in Australia but there are so many benefits to moving to America and ridiculously targeting safe drivers because they speed a little would be the last straw for me.

CieL

HSC
lala2 said:
Hmmm, I was walking past a car with empty P plate brackets and realised that this just might be my perfect solution to hanging up my L and P plates. Do you know where I can buy these?
Yeah, I mentioned that a few pgs ago..

Seremify and I are still hunting =[

Don't really have the time to look for that crap when I'm loaded with assignments..

Give us a beep when you do find one!

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
CieL said:

Don't really have the time to look for that crap when I'm loaded with assignments..

hey carmen, if you find them at the shops, tell me? I've been looking for them but I can't find them. :(
Do you go to a car speciality shop like umm autobarn or whatever it's called?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
j_davo24 said:
Sorry but that statement doesn't seem to make any sense.

If only it were that simple. Just saying they should drive slower doesn't mean they will. Infact truck drivers are some of the worst offenders in my experiences. If the speed limit is increased people are going to attempt to drive faster regardless of there skills I am almost certain of it. Even those people who shouldn't have a licence in the first place.

I don't know if you are entirely correct on this fact. If you are I apologise, but I recall it being suggested somewhere that in cases where things that were illegal are legalised people who do these are less likely to do them to as much of an extreme. For example I think that the average cannabis usage per user in the netherlands is less than that here (could be wrong). In another similar example when they removed rubbish bins from the train platforms in Sydney they found there was less rubbish than when the bins were there. You cannot tell me that there is not any psychological influence on peoples behaviour by their surroundings, to the level that it could quite possibly influence someone to drive faster.
My mistake, i was tired i meant *aren't going to be penalized.

Truck drivers might go faster than you, but they also drive professionally, i think they have a better idea of what their truck can do than you do, maybe they push it to make a deadline and have an increased risk of accident, but they still now what they should be doing.

There are different schools of thought on this because of some conflicting studies that were done recently [plus about 90% of these studies have a political agenda] but basically my impression is that people drive at the speed they feel comfortable no matter what the limit is. You see this all time time [and do its yourself] when someone is on unfamiliar roads, they slow down. An upwards limit of 150 means you would get a spread of people driving between 100 and 150 on our motorways which is easily a safe speed in those roads, whilst you also cut out the reckless speeders. Maybe speeding laws just need to be changed so that they are like a suggestion, but if you go a ridiculous amount over, say about 20-25% then you get a fine.

j_davo24

HSC
Serius said:
Maybe speeding laws just need to be changed so that they are like a suggestion, but if you go a ridiculous amount over, say about 20-25% then you get a fine.
Probably the perfect system in theory, once again hard to judge though without constant observation of an individuals driving practice and habits, but at least it can be agreed there is no simple solution and politics are always going to venture into. Which brings us back to the new P laws...

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
for those who are looking for those plate racket thingys... i got mine at parklea markets for like about $12... there were heaps there...just shop around for a few shops...i think i got a discount for getting 3 because my friends wanted them as well... so have a think about it for those who live in the west... (i live in castle hill)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
CieL said:

Every shop I go to is sold out... been to Repco, Autobarn, Supercheap Auto and even KMart. Sigh. What a rort.

CieL

HSC
Does Kmart sell them?
Hm.. I'd assume Target would too then..
Maybe BigW..

But Jeff, dont you live near Parklea Markets anyway..

EDIT: Do you know the price of them? $12 seems dear for a stupid piece of plastic of a rack

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
CieL said:
Does Kmart sell them?
Hm.. I'd assume Target would too then..
Maybe BigW..

But Jeff, dont you live near Parklea Markets anyway..

EDIT: Do you know the price of them? $12 seems dear for a stupid piece of plastic of a rack
Yeh Kmart in Castle Hill sells all that stuff and nah I don't live anywhere near Parklea Markets!

And, I have NFI about price. I saw the pricetag/description thing though at various shops but none in stock.

latch

HSC
All these P-plate restrictions are just politically motivated. They will have no affect on the road toll, but they may increase revenue a bit.
Of course there will be a lot of people who now think 'best be hanged for a sheep then a lamb' for speeding. If you look at the ratio of people who drive in the lowest speeding offence ban and don't die to those who do you will notice that it is everyone on the road compared to a small number of dead people.

Perhaps the government should consider that the reason many P-platers are crap drivers - and there are a lot of shit drivers on the road - is because they have no formal training in how to drive a car. Instead they are being taught by their parents who are often terrible drivers, arrogant, and see driving as a right of passage.

HSC
while it is true that there are many p-platers who are bad drivers, there are many who drive quite safely. really the problem are the ones who think they are a lot better than they actually are, who drive stupidly and make stupid decisions. and its because of them the safe drivers (vast majority) are getting punished.

CieL

HSC
I'm surprised.

ALOT more P1 drivers are sticking to the speed limit.. in fear of the 3 month ban..

Too bad the roads seems to get a bit more congested tho..

Pace_T

HSC
haha sucker p1 drivers. i always break the road rules when i drive and i still have my 7 points or whatever we get on the p2 license. that means i can spare 6!! :D
if i had that instant ban for speeding rule i think i'd die, ironically, lol

HSC
CieL said:
I'm surprised.

ALOT more P1 drivers are sticking to the speed limit.. in fear of the 3 month ban..

Too bad the roads seems to get a bit more congested tho..
hahaha yeah..i know i am :eek:

Xu

dangerous driver
HSC
N/A
Although I'm always really cautious about my speed, what actually happens when you get suspended from driving for three months due to speeding? Can you drive after three months, or would you need to take a test (oh, please no :() or something?

Edit: I found plate holders at the Reject Shop! Apparently demand for them is pretty high!

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I don't think its the shit drivers that need to be addressed to reduce the road toll, it's the stereotypical 17 year old "HAY GUYZ I JUZ GOT MA P'Z WOTCH ME SIK DRIFT IN MY HEKTIK CALAIS WIT SHINY RIMZ" male that think's hes fucking invincible. That faggot's ruining it for all of us, and no he's not me.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Azamakumar said:
I don't think its the shit drivers that need to be addressed to reduce the road toll, it's the stereotypical 17 year old "HAY GUYZ I JUZ GOT MA P'Z WOTCH ME SIK DRIFT IN MY HEKTIK CALAIS WIT SHINY RIMZ" male that think's hes fucking invincible. That faggot's ruining it for all of us, and no he's not me.
here here! You know, as well as speed cameras and those noise detector thingos that they're making, there should also be 'dickhead cameras' to catch all those arses who drive as if they own the road...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)