Parents Reaction to UAI marks (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Yep, totally I agree with Reprise, gosh somewhat I wish I had a father/mother like you, haha, parents nowadays are just sooo demanding; amusingly I even told them that [As I completed eco as one of my hsc courses this year] there are alot of skill shortages in sectors such as tradesmanship, plumbers and all that stuff (btw this is true for a fact, seeing how the whole world right now is experiencing the structural issue of our ageing population - intergen report) and lmao they didn't even reply.

Oh and btw with the relatives thing, haha I fully agree!

HSC
my parents are threatning too kick me out of the house, they are not getting me that car and said they are very very ashamed of me and that if I dont get into uni somehow and transfer quickly that they'll disown me :(

MarsBarz

HSC
reprise said:
The point I'm trying to make is that most adults would not DARE make the same kind of negative remarks about the grades of their friends/workmates which they have made about the grades of their children. While you'll always be our "babies", you are now all adults and you deserve a shitload more respect than we should grant to random strangers such as workmates or other adults who happen to be our own age.

If I wouldn't make a demeaning comment to a relative stranger about their achievements, then I'm damned sure I should be ten times as reluctant to make such a comment to someone about whom I actually give a shit.
Well that's because you're a bad parent. You fail to understand that kids need to be pushed and they need to be disciplined. This is reflected in your child's dismal failure. Parents push their kids to succeed because they want the best future for them.
When I see some people say that they are proud of a uai in 70's, I'm shocked. It is quite apparent that anyone who got in that range did not do any work in year 12 and didn't take their studies seriously. Hell, I barely worked until STUVAC and managed to get 95+. And I'm still not very happy, because I realise that I didn't give the HSC my best shot. I am regretful. But I'm glad that my parents punished me when I'd get low marks. Otherwise I might have become a homeless dropkick like your child.

chap87

i got a 91.10, my parents were like "OMG, that is awesome", so i think they are slightly happy with me. They were like "you will be doing well to get your 83 for the course you want" so yeah.

HSC
anyone here can make claims that they didn't study at all until STUVAC, I can go say I didn't study at all for maths and got 92, anyone going to proove me otherwise? of course not

I dont think you should give into marsbarz bullshit because other people will get the wrong idea, people who get high uais always claim too have done no work because they're full of shit which is the honest truth

i do agree with marsbarz on the level that parents need too push more

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Casmira said:
my parents are threatning too kick me out of the house, they are not getting me that car and said they are very very ashamed of me and that if I dont get into uni somehow and transfer quickly that they'll disown me :(
well, it'll take a year to transfer

nedzelic

HSC
man you parents are a bunch of cunts!
the trend is often that first wave migrants - the parents - put pressure on their childrent to do well 'so you don' end up like me as a cleaner'. but fuck, if any of your parents are putting immense pressure on you, then they are playing with your mental health. i got no pressure from school or home and i did well enough. i knowmthis is just one eg but parent's shouldn't place strain on their children; that's just terrible. i mean, people fucking critisise the hsc set up and wonder so people top themselves through stress; well if the dumb-fuck parents are putting it one them; they're to blame, not the system

kyu_chan

the REAL nightmare begins
HSC
MarsBarz said:
Well that's because you're a bad parent. You fail to understand that kids need to be pushed and they need to be disciplined. This is reflected in your child's dismal failure. Parents push their kids to succeed because they want the best future for them.
When I see some people say that they are proud of a uai in 70's, I'm shocked. It is quite apparent that anyone who got in that range did not do any work in year 12 and didn't take their studies seriously. Hell, I barely worked until STUVAC and managed to get 95+. And I'm still not very happy, because I realise that I didn't give the HSC my best shot. I am regretful. But I'm glad that my parents punished me when I'd get low marks. Otherwise I might have become a homeless dropkick like your child.
Yes, they need gentle pushes forward, but they also need to understand. I don't think Reprise is a bad parent at all.

I took my HSC very very seriously, studied heaps and everything, but unfortunately, my personal best did not earn top top marks. But I know I did my best, and I'm proud of what I earned.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
if you are so leniant with your children, I see that as a problem. They develop the 'it's ok to fail' mentality. If they truly give it their 100% (and I mean studied their arse off throughout the whole year), then that's acceptable (however if they get a 70UAI with that, they are likely to have some sort of learning disability).

kyu_chan

HSC
stazi said:
if you are so leniant with your children, I see that as a problem. They develop the 'it's ok to fail' mentality. If they truly give it their 100% (and I mean studied their arse off throughout the whole year), then that's acceptable (however if they get a 70UAI with that, they are likely to have some sort of learning disability).
Fair point you make. I agree

Rekkusu

HSC
Hhaha well in a way I see both views, well practically anyone, and I mean ANYONE can get a UAI of 95+, all you need to do is study well ahead in Year 11, or even so, do the programs to get urself a pass in the OC in order to head into selective school, and you're well on ur way to 95+. Lol, plus alot of things happen in year 12 [I had to complete a separate course which was for adfa], and some of us are in a way tempted by many things..

Anyhows, as long as u get the UAI for the course u want, I believe that's already really good.

HSC
N/A
doing programs to get into OC and the selective school system is cheating

people should perform to around their potential

why are you encouraging people to cheat on an aptitude test and then overachieve in high school?

the fact is, any uai over 70 is a good result

MarsBarz

HSC
stazi said:
I couldn't agree more with what you have said.

HSC
N/A
i was sittin near the computer table, my parents ask me wat i was doin, i todl them i was dl music, then they saw my uac site open, they sat ther n my dad took his belt out n his boot off. Lucky fo me i got 83 uai n my dad put his belt back on. funny b-- . i would of kik his ass anyway. then my dad boasted about his son to all my relos n how he contributed to it. f-- parents. wierd family i got but netherless i find it hilarious

stazi

Nightman
HSC
b--? f--?
you mean bullshit? fuck?

MarzBarz, however, I will say that kids do need relaxation etc and some leniancy.
Also, not all kids are the same. My parents pushed me through years 5-11. Like crazy. I got crappy marks (read: constantly ranked in the bottom 30/180+ students).
In year 12, strangely enough, my dad (who was the parent doing the pushing) let off. He had his own worries, a new wife, etc. The deputy principal who was out for the kill on me in years 10 and 11 for truancy also seemingly stopped hunting for me.
I started studying on my own accord (although not that much still). That worked well for me.

At uni my parents don't care AT ALL. I do my own thing. Go out heaps getting trashed, etc. However, I've come first in 2 or 3 out of 8 subjects. Have gotten exceptionally high marks. Am studying heaps. Etc.

Gummy_bear

HSC
When my mum rang my pop telling of my UAI (69.65) my pop just said 'tell her we all love her regardless'

He took me out to dinner last night too, after going to the movies, to celebrate my HSC. Im lucky to have a wonderful family.

But, to those who dont, as long as your happy, who cares? Just live our own life :)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
MarsBarz said:
I wouldn't call him Reprise a bad parent. Anyone who cares about his or her child's feelings shouldn't be dubbed a bad parent.

However I do agree with MarsBarz that your child needs to be pushed more. Of course, as a parent you don't want to place too much pressure on your child or upset them when they recieve low marks, but you can't protect them forever. Like you said, they're not little kids anymore. They're adults. When they're trying to get into uni or trying to find a job, the people who they deal with aren't going to sweet-talk them. They need to rely on their skills and intellect which is developed from adequate pressure and dicipline.

My parents have always pushed me to do exceptionally well, even though I do occasionally fall behind. Through these high school years we fought numerous times, I was in tears at least once every week but right now, today, I feel nothing but gratitude for them because without all the effort they put into my education, I wouldn't have this UAI and I wouldn't be able to get into the course I want.

Even though it's absurd how some parents blame their kids for getting 99.90 instead of 99.95, it's equally absurd how others overpraise their children for UAIs in the 60s.

reprise said:
If I wouldn't make a demeaning comment to a relative stranger about their achievements, then I'm damned sure I should be ten times as reluctant to make such a comment to someone about whom I actually give a shit.
Do you know why parents don't make demeaning comments about other people's kids? Because they don't give a crap about other people's kids!

Rekkusu

HSC
Amusingly enough Henry alot of people actually use such programs so as to cheat the system, although some people like to get into the OC etc via their own talent, etc many other ppl do not think the same way as you do, and thus by taking such courses they practically can get into selective school.

In fact, lol if I didn't do the UMAT prep courses I would not have even gotten the happy umat result that I have today, just remember, in this world, everyone cheats, lol theres no such thing as being honest or not...

Anyhows, for those who were unfortunate and couldn't get the UAI they wanted, just keep in mind, you might be a late bloomer, in other words, most people might own you right now in the UAI, but by the time its in University (and mind you, uni is much much harder than HSC) you'll most likely surpass the people who did achieve high UAIs. Though lol you'll be interested in this statistic, up to 35% of people who got into Medicine dropped right out of that course after half a year and changed to courses like B science or even forensic science, probably because most have spent alot of time into their HSC that they've somehow given into the thought that they'll own uni as well, when in fact its the opposite, so sometimes over-confidence gets the better of those people. ^^ Anyhow, I do not mean to offend any high uai achievers, everyone is different, but in the end, as long as you get into the course you wanted or dreamed of, that's already really good!

kyu_chan

HSC
Gummy_bear said:
When my mum rang my pop telling of my UAI (69.65) my pop just said 'tell her we all love her regardless'

He took me out to dinner last night too, after going to the movies, to celebrate my HSC. Im lucky to have a wonderful family.

But, to those who dont, as long as your happy, who cares? Just live our own life :)
Awww!! Sweet!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)