• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Partition to Change the Uni name (1 Viewer)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
Petition to Change the Uni name

i think we should start a uws petition to change its uni name.
whilst all the drama with the government cut backs and courses being cancelled and possible campus shut downs etc.. it is now that this needs to be done. if not now then never !!

if we write up a letter and address it to the UWS director and have thousands of uws students sign it.. then at least our say is heard and could be considered!!

it would include things along the lines of the use of the word 'western'. Any use of the word 'western' would be perceived as lower status in any sense, not just for unis, eg. western suburbs, westies, etc etc.. and so that ridding of the word western in the uni title will have a different impact to how the society sees the university in future, for prospective students of the new generation (ie. year 7 students now) those students probably havnt even heard of uws.. once they reach year 12, our uni could be very well appealing to them, if it had a different name, that will rid of the stigma the uni has developed over the past 10 years.
so any name suggestions for any possible name changes to the University of Western Sydney???

University of Nepean (UON)
University of Parramatta (UOP)
University of Business, Sydney (UBS)

here's just a few off the top of my head

please share your suggestions of possible uni names and no arguing !

thank you :)

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
lol......UBS sounds ggod in its short form but when u say the whole name out it sounds gay......
oh yea, and changing he name wont really terminate the social stigma attached to the the uni in itself so i dont really think its neccesary.....
but ur point in extra funding etc would be beneficial

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
mmm it cant be good Dingo if u cant spell petition right, how will you ever manage to get the uni name right?? (if its changed)

and as for changing it, changing its name won't change its stereotype. The uni is still based in the western 'burbs, it's mean't to cater to the western 'burbs and regardless of what name it goes to... it will always have that hanging over its head.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i seriously fink that even you protest n stuff, this will never happen

zzangelzz

Queen of the Damned
HSC
You know, the original name that was to be given to UWS was Whitlam University , after former Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam who apparently helped constructed it....

klh

HSC
UBS??? only business??
what about all the other subjects dingo2004?
or should they many uni's specifying in one subject or area like
UOC = University of Computing
UOE= University of Engineering
UOS= University of Science

on another note, i agree with peepee, Whitlam University sounds beeter and inst a mouthful when speaking to friends who go to U. Syd ( actual pronounciation ) or UTS or wateva. UWS's name sounds funky in te bad way...

Whitlam U sounds really cool, like its an old prestigous Uni...

blah blah blah so on, so forth...

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I don't think an online petition will do anything, Dingo :)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
University of Gough Whitlam (UGW) :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)