Peer Mentoring UNSW (1 Viewer)

williamdaft

HSC
Hey Bos'ers.

I got an email yesterday from CAPS Peer Mentoring if I would like to attain peer mentoring, probably in this category for me:
First in Family Peer Mentoring Program (for local students who are the first in their immediate family to attend university)

And I have to fill out:REGISTRATION LINK: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TZ2SCG9

Has anyone done this program and know if it is helpful?

I have looked around UNSW's site for specifically business and read:

UNSW Business Society
Peer mentor program for undergraduate business students.

The BSOC Peer Mentoring Program is one of the most valuable events for new students, providing support and encouragement during what can be a rather daunting first few weeks of uni life. As part of program, you will be placed in a group with ten other first years, and two older year mentors. The one hour group sessions will run once a week, for the first six weeks of Semester 1, beginning with the Peer Mentoring Program Launch event, and culminating in a closing event and outing. Make new friends, learn what every older kid wished they knew back in the day, and learn how to survive and thrive in uni.

It seems helpful..

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I got that e-mail too.

Then clicked on the link.

I'm not eligible.

However, I wonder if I can just say I'm the first to go to UNSW lol.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
lol how come not eligible ?
There is a list of stuff you need to meet as requirements.

None of them apply to me. I have siblings that went to uni before me, but they graduated years ago and they didn't go to UNSW.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
....the bsoc peer mentoring is open to everyone, and what you do in them is learn about where things are in the uni, play games and eat together etc etc

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I got the same email from CAPS.

Don't think I'll be going, since I'm the youngest out of 3 who all attended and graduated from uni by now.

williamdaft

HSC
....the bsoc peer mentoring is open to everyone, and what you do in them is learn about where things are in the uni, play games and eat together etc etc
okay cool, that sounds good! Will probs do it then and I'm the first from family going to UNSW

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Most peer mentoring should be the same for societies. It is organised to help 1st years transition into uni and have someone to speak to.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I got that e-mail too.

Then clicked on the link.

I'm not eligible.

However, I wonder if I can just say I'm the first to go to UNSW lol.
I actually wondered about the same thing as well-but thought it better not to lie. Hope there are normal mentoring programs for first year university students that don't fit into the three main categories.

williamdaft

HSC
Now that I think about it clearly, I'm not really in - First in Family Peer Mentoring Program (for local students who are the first in their immediate family to attend university) coz my dad has gone to uni quite some time ago...

I should follow the bottom paragraphs of the email which tells me to match a mentor in my faculty.. so BSOC Peer Mentoring Program..

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I am one of the BSOC & LawPLUS mentors this year :) except I haven't been told my time yet...

ifrit112

HSC
Peer mentoring is good to get to know other first years in your school (and most likely doing the same degree or one similar to you).

You get free food throughout the semester, and attendance is optional - so hey, why not :D

williamdaft

HSC
Peer mentoring is good to get to know other first years in your school (and most likely doing the same degree or one similar to you).

You get free food throughout the semester, and attendance is optional - so hey, why not :D
FREE FOOD ???

:D f*ck.. I'm in.

Examine

same
HSC

You had me at free food.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)