"Pensions should be increased" (1 Viewer)

sthcross.dude

HSC
Graney said:
Every able bodied person born in Australia has ample opportunity to save enough to self-fund their retirement.
That's a pretty out dated view of the employment market.

Intellectual capital is far more valuable. If you don't have a basic level of intelligence, social skills and mental health you'd be much more impaired in the job market than an intelligent person with a physical disability.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Optophobia said:
But my example shows that even at the peak of something, there is still discrimination and unfairness.
Your example of who would the dean pick? Seriously the truth is that such a situation never occurs and if it did it's just as likely that he would pick the kid from blacktown high who would get in on being from a more disadvantaged area.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
sthcross.dude said:
Intellectual capital is far more valuable. If you don't have a basic level of intelligence, social skills and mental health you'd be much more impaired in the job market than an intelligent person with a physical disability.
Definetly, I'm as sympathetic to mental disability as I am to physical, and the need for welfare in this area.

Optophobia said:
But my example shows that even at the peak of something, there is still discrimination and unfairness.
Your example's pretty irrelevant. ITT we talk about the pension, which the vast majority of the population, acting rationally and for their own beneift, could save sufficiently that they could self-fund their retirement.

Anyway, as for your example, the lecturer may well choose the canditate from blacktown. Academics are generally sensititive to disadvantage, and try to act impartially. I think they'd look at extra-curricular activities, and other criteria if it was such a close decision. Universities never grant scholarships or give entry to courses based on what school you went to.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I did... the answer is maybe? If they only have two options I put it at 55/45 in favour of the kid from blacktown high, the advantage coming from the prospect that his rougher road to success will be respected.

sthcross.dude

HSC
So Optophobia, you've proved your point with a hypothetical example that is almost certain not to occur, with an outcome that is impossible to determine?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
No, the point.. is that the Kings kid would get in, would get the degree, would get (presumably) get a better income, a better super-annuation contribution and thus would be better off than the other guy who didn't get in in retirement. The Blacktown high kid did not CHOOSE to be a dollar worser off than the Kings kid.
lol

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Optophobia said:
Who would YOU choose?
graney said:
try to act impartially. I think they'd look at extra-curricular activities, and other criteria if it was such a close decision.
Agree with ntb, 55/45 slightly in favor of blacktown.

What do you think the regional bonus points scheme many universities offer is for? Shouldn't they be trying to attract more of the rich, inner city kids?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
sthcross.dude said:
So Optophobia, you've proved your point with a hypothetical example that is almost certain not to occur, with an outcome that is impossible to determine?
Yes he has. And also with the fact that if you don't immediately restrict yourself to $270 per week whether you can earn that much or not, the pension needs to be raised.

PRODUCT OF UWS B POLICING EDUCTION.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
It's ok guys.
Whilst doing a crime scene scenario yesterday, me and the MP guy decided that old people should all just drop 200 units of insulin into their system and eat a hearty diet of cat food.

Aging population, BOOM, GONE.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Optophobia said:
Old people = >25 years old :eek:
Financial squalor, yes.

They can hardly go flushing money down the toilet.
Yeh i know. They chose to live the remainder of their life severely financially restricted. Seems enticing.

Clearly.
So what?

People who work hard for their money now can't just go and piss it up the wall, why should old people get extra taxpayer money so they can piss it up the wall?

TBH, as long as they have a roof and food and enough for utilities, I'm not sure what else theyre expecting.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
eople aren't on pensions because they choose to be. They are because they have, one way or another, been forced to.
Nah, pretty sure when they're filling out the welfare form it's of their own free will. Nobody makes them go on welfare.

HSC
Lol I'd like to see u dumbshits at like 70. I think the pension should be increased. For fucks sake, things are hard enough for those of us able to work.

HSC
I think we should make life comfortable for the elderly of the current generation, but wean off our own generation and let compulsory super take care of most of the burden.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Optophobia said:
You've already said that they choose to live a financially restrictive life. It's clear that it's not that simple.
no, I said the reality is, people who work for their money lead financially restricted lives. You said poor old people can't afford luxuries on their pensions. I was merely pointing out that neither can those who work.

Tough shit. As long as you have the essentials, luxury items aren't a right.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
I think we should make life comfortable for the elderly of the current generation, but wean off our own generation and let compulsory super take care of most of the burden.
Yeah, my super is looking sweeeeeeeeet at the moment. It's so exciting watching it grow.

Not so exciting watching it not grow and watching fees :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
But history has shown that it's a lot easier to give something than to take it away.

banco55

HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
There's too many of them to make "life comfortable" for them without the tax burden being crushing.

sthcross.dude

HSC
banco55 said:
There's too many of them to make "life comfortable" for them without the tax burden being crushing.
Agreed. Especially in the current economic climate.

The purpose of the pension should be a very basic living wage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)