People doing law for the $$$/career prospects (1 Viewer)

bustinjustin

HSC
Yeah
these people piss me off
at this time of the year in yr12 there's all these randoms who suddenly want to do law just for the money/prestige
often they're the science-types who do 4u maths and only 2u of english (and hence won't necessarily appreciate law)
but they'll get kickarse uai's and get into law easily
Yeah

santaslayer

HSC
Yeah.
But if they're the 'Science-types' and not the 'law-types' they'll drop out eventually anyway, or they won't appreciate the job they may hold in future. Alternatively, they may be multi talented and have strong abilities in both fields. ie. Moonlight is sexy, so is Lazarus. Or they may appreciating law more after focussing on Maths and Sciences in the HSC.

Anyway, passion does not put food on the table. Some people might be lucky enough to have everything their way, but these people come rare. Plumbers aren't plumbers because they like the smell of toilets. Similarly, funeral organisers aren't funeral organisers because they like to hang around the deceased. They do it to survive.

I've heard a LOT of friends and other people who put the blame on others when they can't get the desired UAI. They blame it on 'randoms' who do it for the money or prestige and these 'randoms' are the reason why they couldn't get into their course because they made the cutoff skyrocket. I mean, if you really had the passion and interest in a course, you'd go all the way to Whoop Whoop to study it. The universities in Sydney are not the ONLY universities in AUSTRALIA or NSW for that matter. Anyway, I've read somewhere that experts say that a UAI of 80 is quite sufficent to complete an LLB.

Yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Get over it, it will always happen.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Heaps of people i know who got into law without an appreciation of the actual coursework dropped out... btw if you're not doing law for the $$$/Career prospects what are you doing it for? Are you one of these wonderful bs idealists that think they're going to save the world with their bachelor of laws lol

Law is definately a course for people with an analytical mind, personally I love it more than I thought I would.

P.S. at UNE the uai for law is 83 :)

Last edited:

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
are u jealous / scared u cant get in because u cant match them in uai to go to usyd/unsw etc... and hence u cant get the money like them? :p

theres plenty of places to do law, if u cant get into usyd, mayb go for a diff uni like macq.. or uws etc... as ppl pointed out, theres a shitload of places where u can study law... if you actually like law and have a passion for it, you'd go anywhere to study it!

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Law is about the art of argument, about the very core of reasoning and how it can be represented on paper.

THAT's what it is, not a bunch of rule-memorising.

And PS the UAI for la trobe combine law is 80.

PPS: About there being a lot of places to do law, that's part of the problem about segregation of law schools - because there's so many, a lot of them dont mean as much as others especially as time goes on.

PPPS: It's hard to earn a lot of money in law, in my view. You have to be very, very good at it. It's not 'the money profession' at all because they work you like a dog to get whatever rewards come out of it.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
Alternatively, they may be multi talented and have strong abilities in both fields. ie. Moonlight is a nerd, so is Lazarus.
Haha I wish

I got a flying 60 for HSC 2U maths.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Haha I wish

I got a flying 60 for HSC 2U maths.
My 27 in 4u English beats that! :rolleyes:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Sometimes those people piss me off...I dont understand why people who dont really want to study law would do it though? I mean its 5 years and a lot of work and that to me doesnt seem to be worth it if you are doing it for the wrong reasons (Bcoz they can i.e. high enough UAI, dont know what to do, parents told them to, for money or prestige) I know a few people who did it for the wrong reasons and hate it, but I guess that is their problem.

I dont particularily care where I do law, as long as I do it. I'll settle for any uni, transfering from something else, doing grad law of doing the diploma...as long as one day I get to the bar...even if it takes me years :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
melsc said:
Sometimes those people piss me off...I dont understand why people who dont really want to study law would do it though? I mean its 5 years and a lot of work and that to me doesnt seem to be worth it if you are doing it for the wrong reasons (Bcoz they can i.e. high enough UAI, dont know what to do, parents told them to, for money or prestige) I know a few people who did it for the wrong reasons and hate it, but I guess that is their problem.

I dont particularily care where I do law, as long as I do it. I'll settle for any uni, transfering from something else, doing grad law of doing the diploma...as long as one day I get to the bar...even if it takes me years :)
The question however has to be 'why' ? :)
What makes the career so attractive to you?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
To be honest I dont know exactly why? I have wanted to study law since about year 7-8? I dont know what drew it to me in the first place, but I do know that I find it really interesting. I LOVE Legal Studies and MOCK TRIAL...and am constantly watch stuff like law and order. I just find studying law really interesting and would love to be a barrister.

I also drive everyone mad in my house...with legal terminology and telling them why that was wrong on law and order...or what the legal principles are surrounding current affairs

:uhhuh: I just know its what I really want to do :)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
So what if people decide at the last minute to do law? Many, many Year 12 students have no idea with what they want to do with their lives, so they decide on law because it opens the doors to so many different career paths and enables you to (usually) earn a decent wage. There's nothing wrong with that, because really- the reason we work is to earn money. Also, sometimes people have to try something before they can decide if it is really is for them. The people who belong in Law will end up there in the end.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
black_kat_meow said:
So what if people decide at the last minute to do law? Many, many Year 12 students have no idea with what they want to do with their lives, so they decide on law because it opens the doors to so many different career paths and enables you to (usually) earn a decent wage. There's nothing wrong with that, because really- the reason we work is to earn money. Also, sometimes people have to try something before they can decide if it is really is for them. The people who belong in Law will end up there in the end.
That is why I still say that doing law because it gives one more career opportunities is not intrinsically wrong. But at the same time you can understand why it can be annoying to those who truly want a career in law.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I chose law at the last minute, since like year 4 i'd wanted to be an 'artist' then probably from year 8 I wanted to be a 'graphic designer'... I was going to enrole at billy blue and filled out a form etc...
I just had a deep think about where I wanted to go in my life and I decided on law, right at the last minute. It was a struggle between my creative desire and my love of critical thinking :p

It had little to do with money, my parents own a decent business with around 60 employee's or something and I could have just gotten into that like everyone else. I really don't like the criticism I sometimes recieve :(

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
That is why I still say that doing law because it gives one more career opportunities is not intrinsically wrong. But at the same time you can understand why it can be annoying to those who truly want a career in law.
:uhhuh:

Exactly I dont have too much of a problem with people who want to open career paths...but people have to understand...since law is such a popular choice, there are limited places, and it can get annoying for those who really want a place...and may miss out bcoz of someone who doesnt really care...I mostly have a prob with the people who do it bcoz they can or for prestige

Not-That-Bright said:
I chose law at the last minute, since like year 4 i'd wanted to be an 'artist' then probably from year 8 I wanted to be a 'graphic designer'... I was going to enrole at billy blue and filled out a form etc...
I just had a deep think about where I wanted to go in my life and I decided on law, right at the last minute. It was a struggle between my creative desire and my love of critical thinking :p

It had little to do with money, my parents own a decent business with around 60 employee's or something and I could have just gotten into that like everyone else. I really don't like the criticism I sometimes recieve :(
I dont think its a big deal when people decided to take it up last minute...I just think law is one of those areas that you need to want to study for it

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
bustinjustin said:
Yeah
these people piss me off
but they'll get kickarse uai's and get into law easily
Yeah
why whinge dear? it's an equal-opportunity country.

try your best, beat those 'nerd' types at their own game, slide yourself into UAI-elitism and get into law :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What's wrong with doing it for prestige? Some people want a career where they're going to experience a bunch of pompus pagentry (see teachers). Quite frankly I'm sick of morons who are doing law with an agenda "World Peace, Giving disabled people a voice, Working with Aboriginals" while admirable reasons for doing a course sound kinda fake and wanky to me (especially when they come from the mouth of north shore daddies little girls).

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
What's wrong with doing it for prestige? Some people want a career where they're going to experience a bunch of pompus pagentry (see teachers). Quite frankly I'm sick of morons who are doing law with an agenda "World Peace, Giving disabled people a voice, Working with Aboriginals" while admirable reasons for doing a course sound kinda fake and wanky to me (especially when they come from the mouth of north shore daddies little girls).
Thats not my agenda at all :cool:

I basically plan to study what I love... then love my job...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)