People doing law for the $$$/career prospects (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
What's wrong with doing it for prestige? Some people want a career where they're going to experience a bunch of pompus pagentry (see teachers). Quite frankly I'm sick of morons who are doing law with an agenda "World Peace, Giving disabled people a voice, Working with Aboriginals" while admirable reasons for doing a course sound kinda fake and wanky to me (especially when they come from the mouth of north shore daddies little girls).
The fact people want to use their power to better the world, no matter the naivety of their expectations can only be a good thing. Even moreso when taken up by those from the wealthier backgrounds, rather than becoming haughty and pretentious -- and self-interested.

Menzies himself had a sense of noblesse oblige :p

is a roflcopter
HSC
i really wish money and prestiage came easily with just studying law

you high schoolers whinging about losing out to smarter kids than yourselves have no idea how hard it is to get into BDW

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
i think a more important question is why ppl doing hardcore mathematics arent as recognised as law ppl in terms of skills and ability =)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
i think a more important question is why ppl doing hardcore mathematics arent as recognised as law ppl in terms of skills and ability =)
Generally because law is all about language, hence the English people tend to have a flair for it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
they are so cruel :(
but john, according to the macro exam i took today, if there's an increase in supply of lawyers, demand staying constant, then the equilibrium salary will decrease. we all want 50K start right? :p

more bling:
How much money does a Beijing lawyer make?

Today's edition of the Legal Mirror (法制晚报) featured a new financial column called 'Checking Your Pockets' (钱包大兜底). The aim of the column is to inform the readers about how much money people in selected industries make in Beijing. To pay respect to its name, Legal Mirror kicked off with lawyers. Here are the results of the report:

#1 If you want to earn the megabucks in the law business forget about being a prosecutor. The real money comes from deal-making consultancy and legal services provided to big companies and multinationals. Beijing lawyers specialized in this field - especially if they've studied abroad and have international experience - can make up to 10 million RMB a year (1,28 million USD).

#2 With an average salary of 300.000 RMB a year (36,136 USD) top Real Estate lawyers can't really complain. The ever soaring real estate market in Beijing, gives them plenty of work to write and check on contracts, agreements, disputes and so forth.

#3 Moving down in the ranking we find lawyers that come from out of town, working for Chinese legal firms from other provinces and with branch offices in the Capital. If they work hard enough the waidi lüshi (外地律师 or lawyers from out of town) can make up to 6,000 RMB a month (726 USD).

#4 Like in every other country, at the bottom of the pyramid we find the apprentice lawyers. According to Legal Mirror, these poor chaps have to work hard and do the most boring jobs in the firm for at least five years, before starting to make some decent money. In the meantime, they have to make do with around 1,000 RMB a month (121 USD).

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
melsc said:
:uhhuh:

..but people have to understand...since law is such a popular choice, there are limited places, and it can get annoying for those who really want a place...and may miss out bcoz of someone who doesnt really care...I mostly have a prob with the people who do it bcoz they can or for prestige
There is nothing wrong with landing yourself in a degree/job because of the prestige or money at all. To gain a truly satisfying career, factors such as these are typically major contributors to one's assessment of success and satisfaction in a job/position. Prime Ministers did not become the Prime Ministers of Australia because they 'love' the job as such, but because of the fame. They could easily land themselves in a sexy job in any major sexy company and rake in a sexy amount of money (which would, by the way, probably be more than his current income). But they chose to forfeit the extra cash they could generate because they the desire for prestige and power was greater than the money. That's how I see it anyway.

LoLz. I don't think anyone in BDW could honestly tell you they love the job after working 18 hours a day, 7 days a week.

So, summarily, prestige/power/wealth may seem superficial to some idealists, but these factors are always used as measurements for the amount of 'love' you have for your job.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Exactly... I don't want to sound slack but what I was trying to get at was the reason why melsc probably wants to be a lawyer so bad has alot more to do with prestige/power/wealth than she probably at first realises... (what else would it be since she denied having some sort of artificial benevolent agenda?).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
yup, after my two esteemed learned friend's posts above, i have decided to switch to the power/prestige/money camp :cool:

top-tier-law-firm here i come :p

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea one of the things that I think is good about law is the pompus pagentry... you don't really get that in many other courses (med, education, i guess would be the only other two...)

X

xeuyrawp

MoonlightSonata said:
Generally because law is all about language, hence the English people tend to have a flair for it.
Yeah, that's very true.

I think I only get annoyed by the people who do law for prestige because I have such a passion for it (one more year....), and those that do it for money don't.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i agree with sexy santaslayer ;)

however, like not-that-bright, i really enjoy the critical part of work, especially the analysis. that is why i am to get tinto a combined degree of psychology law. my enjoyment of analysing, i thought would bear greater fruits if i worked in a law career. that is probaly why ive wanted to choose law as a career since year 9.

prestiege i admit did seal the deal. but my intial love of what a law degree or law course would offer me drew me unto it. also my desire to write for flair as pwarsuex and moonlightsonata have commented.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I really like law, and certainly didn't choose it for the 'prestige, pomp, and circumstance', but a part of me feels that if they have done away with the wigs and robes by the time I reach the bar, I will kill people.

X

xeuyrawp

hfis said:
if they have done away with the wigs and robes by the time I reach the bar, I will kill people.
Ahahahha, I totally agree. Wearing them is (as cheezy as it sounds) an honour.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
hfis said:
but a part of me feels that if they have done away with the wigs and robes by the time I reach the bar, I will kill people.
Exactly...I hope I dont miss out :( Its all in the fun...I love the "theatrics" of the court room...and I really want the robes...Do you get to wear them for moots?

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
Exactly...I hope I dont miss out :( Its all in the fun...I love the "theatrics" of the court room...and I really want the robes...Do you get to wear them for moots?
No, you don't wear them for mooting, I think that would undermine the significance of the robes.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
No, you don't wear them for mooting, I think that would undermine the significance of the robes.
Damn it will be years till I get the robes...The closest I have got is academic dress. I remember one year the in the mock trial final the teams got to wear the robes :mad: I was very jealous

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)