People doing law for the $$$/career prospects (1 Viewer)

SimonCrean

not actually simon crean
HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
unsw has one too
law and social theory

haha its like a big fuck you to all the commerce students
Ha...
I got 83 for that...

is a roflcopter
HSC
and i've met a whole lot of arts people who wont pass corporate finance

its a big fuck you because its compulsory. sure the subject has merits..barely.. but it should be an elective for those who are genuinely interested in the topic.

RTTTYTR

HSC
Newbie said:

its a big fuck you because its compulsory. sure the subject has merits..barely.. but it should be an elective for those who are genuinely interested in the topic.
If it is anything like Accounting Theory, it is easy (at least I find it to be), although I would have to agree with you that alot of commerce students are merely living calculators.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Newbie said:

I would deliberately fail this 'corporate finance' (if it is a core, my guess is that it is not) to critique our post-capitalist society.

It would be a Palahniuk-esque challenge towards the consumerism and conspicuous consumption of an urban 'Fight Club' wasteland. (commerce students will not comprehend this).

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
While we're on topic, I have a question - how does someone who majored in history in their undergraduate degree and then a masters degree in international relations, land a high paying job in one of NY's top consultancy companies in the financial area managing high end hedge funds. I would've assumed that the prerequisite knowledge is at least a few years experience in the financial sector and/or an MBA-level background (which some of the other job applicants have).

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I cannot answer this, but what i do know is that i would never enter into such a commercial field.

And i assume most other history majors would be more inclined to work in sectors apart from finance.

In any case, interdisciplinary studies now is a way of broadening one's understanding so this should not preclude any aspiring financial-grad-job history majors from landing their dream job. One can always take law electives such as 'corporate finance' to give them the necessary grounding (i presume).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
While we're on topic, I have a question - how does someone who majored in history in their undergraduate degree and then a masters degree in international relations, land a high paying job in one of NY's top consultancy companies in the financial area managing high end hedge funds. I would've assumed that the prerequisite knowledge is at least a few years experience in the financial sector and/or an MBA-level background (which some of the other job applicants have).
consultancies say they train you from scratch. all they need is somebody who can think on their feet, can break apart problems and recommend solutions. sounds like a law student, really.

having said that, i didn't get any interviews at the big 4 (consultancies), MBBB. :(

i sucks.

binzy780

HSC
i do non of that maths shit and im still going to get into law~
F*ck those nerds who dont appreciate it~
its not my fault i got thrown a football and not a pair of glasses and a book~!
doesnt mean i wont get a better UAI~ :)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
binzy780 said:
The Legal Profession of Tomorrow.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
consultancies say they train you from scratch. all they need is somebody who can think on their feet, can break apart problems and recommend solutions. sounds like a law student, really.
I understand that, in regards to management consulting where I assume lateral thinking and common sense intellect and a bit of life experience plays a role, but high end financial hedge funds? Doesn't that require extensive prior education in finances, and economics/econometrics?

Frigid said:
having said that, i didn't get any interviews at the big 4 (consultancies), MBBB. :(
Are you referring to the accounting Big 4?

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
binzy780 said:
Lol.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
Are you referring to the accounting Big 4?
nope, i'm referring to the consultancy big 4..

McK, BCG, Bain, Booz (MBBB).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)