People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (1 Viewer)

!! CaR`JiE !!

cäяяoт ^^'
HSC
ay_caramba said:
i got 99.1 ..i had a heart attack.
i studied by just reading!! no note taking out of sheer laziness
i did not stress at all during my hsc, i was insanely calm.
overall.. i think i got the wrong uai.. :O
:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek:

HSC
I got 95.90, and i was really surprised. But based on my own experience, i think it's really important to work really hard for the trials and to try and aim to do well in all your assessments (i stuffed up about 3 assessment tasks over the year). I got pretty good ranks, but by the hsc exams most of my friends and i felt that we studied and worked harder for the trials than preparing for the actual hsc so we were worried! But it all turned out fine, so if you get that feeling next year...it's normal!! But yeh, just make sure u get good ranks!!

And if you don't do any ext. subjects, don't get bogged down cos i spoke to this guy who told me he only did general maths, and general english (no ext. subjects) but he got in the 90s and got into uni (last year) and he said it's important to get good ranks from the trials/assessments~

hope this helps!
-marilia- xoxo

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
lol i figured my earlier reply wasn't really helpful, so i came up with a few tips for getting 90+ in all subjects (although im a bit of a dodgy source and a slacker, but hey):

* do subjects u enjoy or are interested in!!! this is very, very important, because it honestly helps u to pay attention in class! i knew all along that ancient history didnt scale well but i did it anyway, coz i am seriously in love with the subject.. i still recite caesar and pompey quotes to my little brother and he gets pretty scared of me.. i ended up getting 98% for ancient
* figure out a studying method that works for u! if making colourful notes for all ur subjects helps u remember, then do it! but if ur like me, and u feel that just reading the notes is fine (and u can remember what u read), then u dont have to make notes!! i find that whenever i tried to make notes, i ended up writing exactly what was in my text books, so i didnt make any notes at all!!! none.. it was great
* know every dot point in every subject! if u dont know something, just ask ur teacher! even if it sounds stupid, heck just do it!
* umm.. have a life!! seriously. if u leave the house during/before the hsc, u will NOT fail. it is not the law. i went to a wedding the weekend before my hsc.. and if u feel u have studied enough , go ahead and watch tv! i watched my soaps during the hsc exams! its ur life!
* just try the best u can, dont stress! seriously, what will u get out of it!? go into the exams confidently and just attack the papers

umm... woww what an essay ive written, ahaha dont read this if u dont want to.. i'm no expert at this! just do what works for u

just wanted to say congrats to all those ppl who achieved their hsc goals, and best of luck to the 2005 HSCers!! woohoo!

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
ay_caramba said:
lol i figured my earlier reply wasn't really helpful, so i came up with a few tips for getting 90+ in all subjects (although im a bit of a dodgy source and a slacker, but hey):

* do subjects u enjoy or are interested in!!! this is very, very important, because it honestly helps u to pay attention in class! i knew all along that ancient history didnt scale well but i did it anyway, coz i am seriously in love with the subject.. i still recite caesar and pompey quotes to my little brother and he gets pretty scared of me.. i ended up getting 98% for ancient
* figure out a studying method that works for u! if making colourful notes for all ur subjects helps u remember, then do it! but if ur like me, and u feel that just reading the notes is fine (and u can remember what u read), then u dont have to make notes!! i find that whenever i tried to make notes, i ended up writing exactly what was in my text books, so i didnt make any notes at all!!! none.. it was great
* know every dot point in every subject! if u dont know something, just ask ur teacher! even if it sounds stupid, heck just do it!
* umm.. have a life!! seriously. if u leave the house during/before the hsc, u will NOT fail. it is not the law. i went to a wedding the weekend before my hsc.. and if u feel u have studied enough , go ahead and watch tv! i watched my soaps during the hsc exams! its ur life!
* just try the best u can, dont stress! seriously, what will u get out of it!? go into the exams confidently and just attack the papers

umm... woww what an essay ive written, ahaha dont read this if u dont want to.. i'm no expert at this! just do what works for u

just wanted to say congrats to all those ppl who achieved their hsc goals, and best of luck to the 2005 HSCers!! woohoo!

thanks for the advice, i'm sure all is 05ers appreciate it, well at least i do.... ur right about the stress part, it'll probably take u from 80-70% in an exam.

I never knew much about the imprtnace of dot points until i joned this site, thanks guys... my chem teacher always gave me the syllabus points for preliminary, and well they found a comfy spot in one of my folders and i neva actally looked at them, but now i realise that it actually makes life easier.

once again, thanks guys....

HSC
N/A
ay_caramba said:
i got 99.1 ..i had a heart attack.
i studied by just reading!! no note taking out of sheer laziness
i did not stress at all during my hsc, i was insanely calm.
overall.. i think i got the wrong uai.. :O
Hornsby Girls are nuts.

But you, my girl, have to be one of the luckier ones :D:D:D

Good work! We rule!

S

Sheehan :)

i just gotta say that anyone who got above 90 is an inspiration to me

lifeguardlisa

HSC
I haven't read the entire thread so this may have been said before but...

With English ie practise essays/questions...

In the beginning of yr 12 and all of yr 11 I would avoid doing these because a whole essay just seems too hard to do for homework, and then in class I would do badly...but a teacher told me that with practise essays/questions or even marked ones in class, it doesn't have to be a perfect masterpiece...
This really helped me. Writing lots of mediocre essays for practise ended up boosting my score. You just say to yourself..."It's just an essay, its just getting your opinions and feelings out on these pages in front of you. It doesn't have to be brilliant, but you have to do it so you might as well start."

I got 91.3...I'm not really a "study" type person but things like that got me through..eh..hope this helps.
:)

physician

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
I can post here now! I've been waiting for this for so long :D.

I got 92 in Ext 1 Maths :D, and I did the following:
*I worked ahead of the class (now is a good time... finish the course in these few weeks, and even if you forget what you learnt, it'll come back to you when you do it again in class... but if you want to keep remembering it, do past papers (the best form of study))
*If you use Maths In Focus, I recommend getting another book, such as Fitzpatrick, because Maths In Focus has questions that are too easy. The book is good to start off with, but if you want to tackle the course, you need harder questions, and the Fitzpatrick book is the best for it.
*Past papers Past papers Past papers Past papers Past papers Past papers Past papers Past papers
*Use these forums if you need help, and also ask your teacher for help.
*Past papers Past papers Past papers Past papers Past papers Past papers Past papers Past papers
*Do your homework and stay ahead of the class
and finally

I hope I helped.
I don't know how many hours per night you should study, but it is quality of study, not how many hours you do.

Thanks for listening.
ok ok i get it allready.,.. past papers alright..... past papers... i think its stuck in my head.....past papers.....

umm yeh.. i'd juts like to ask a question... how did u manage to understand the course on ur own?... like didn't u face any difficulty?... and i mean its extension maths.... so yehh.. i was juts curious...

I don't think u really have to finish the course ahead of ur class.. i have a friend that well probably never studied ahead its just that he understood the work when it was delivered and well he ended up getting 45/50.. 90% for extension maths....

past papers past papers past papers past papers....i've had this told to me by almost every 04er.. and surprisngly most of the ones that tell it to me didnt do it themselves..... not that i'm saying sportsgal didnt do what she's advising.. i mean 92 proves that she did.. but anyways...

yeh it did help.. greatly appreciated.... I mean ppl tell me to do past papers about 4 times max.. but u just went on and on.... i think u mentioned it 26 times in ur post..... well in ur honour i'll do 26 past papers these holidays one for each time mentioned......

hopefulyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

physician

HSC
lifeguardlisa said:
I haven't read the entire thread so this may have been said before but...

With English ie practise essays/questions...

In the beginning of yr 12 and all of yr 11 I would avoid doing these because a whole essay just seems too hard to do for homework, and then in class I would do badly...but a teacher told me that with practise essays/questions or even marked ones in class, it doesn't have to be a perfect masterpiece...
This really helped me. Writing lots of mediocre essays for practise ended up boosting my score. You just say to yourself..."It's just an essay, its just getting your opinions and feelings out on these pages in front of you. It doesn't have to be brilliant, but you have to do it so you might as well start."

I got 91.3...I'm not really a "study" type person but things like that got me through..eh..hope this helps.
:)
I think i'll also start doing some practice essays.... its just so boring... especially when at times no matter how much effort u put in for some reason u remain stuck on that 79% if u get what i mean....

ppl keep sending the advice.. and we'll keep on listening....

CrashOveride

HSC
Ok vis a vi English:
Don't do any homework your teacher gives you. Only do the assessments really well few days before hand. The trick is to make a killer essay during the year and go over it with your teacher sevearl times. Week before english you should memorise your GENERIC essays, and be ready to adapt them to the questions. For other parts of english, i think its just like...u dont study for, its stuff u have to know but maybe that was just me. I got band6 in english by doing this.

Mx1 i got 97 here and working ahead is a good idea. Just make sure you know the course content really well and seriosuly do all the questions in your cambridge and fitzpatricks books. Dont use Focus or Jones&Couchamn for maths, they suck. Past papers are also extremely important, and start doing some earlier during the year (alternatively, few days before exam like i did).

CrashOveride

HSC
physician said:
umm yeh.. i'd juts like to ask a question... how did u manage to understand the course on ur own?... like didn't u face any difficulty?... and i mean its extension maths.... so yehh.. i was juts curious...
I did 4unit math and taught myself everything in all the course, and let me say as long as you have motivation this is quite a simple task.

physician

HSC
CrashOveride said:
I did 4unit math and taught myself everything in all the course, and let me say as long as you have motivation this is quite a simple task.

yeh but isnt 4 units mthas supposed to be independent.. like i thoght u were supposed to learn it on ur own anyway.....

yeh but thanks for the previous advice anyways.... and i slightly disgree abut the couchman book bceuase the guy that got 90% used that book as a main text.. and yeh he did use fitzpatrick as well along with the usual past papers

CrashOveride

HSC
Yes in my view also 4unit math should be independant because its a higher order of math for high school students, but many do it who maybe shudnt, alas, The couchman book...trust me...i used that for 3unit and i scored well there only because i extended myself a lot with past papers...DO NOT i repeat DO NOT use it. You should use a harder book like Fitz or Cam if you want to get harder questions and consequently a better understanding of things.

Amryllis

HSC
The Cambridge maths textbook was nuts. My class used it in year 11 and then had to switch to Maths in Focus in year 12 coz it was way too long to finish it in time. Other classes kept using Cambridge. We still did alright though...

matt#1

HSC
N/A
There is no secret involved in getting 90+ in subjects, and you dont even have to be that intelligent...all that is needed is consistent study...or consistent cramming before each test and assignment in my case.

Amryllis

HSC
I got 90+ for maths in the HSC and it was well deserved coz I spent more time on it than anything else (to the detriment of my other subjects). I realised that I had to catch up in year 11 at my new (selective) school, since I'd been top of the grade at a non-selective school before that without too much hard work. Maths is definitely the hardest to catch up on if you've been lazy for a few years... It's better to keep working hard from an earlier grade so that later years don't become such a burden, because when you realise you need to catch up it might be too late.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)