People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (1 Viewer)

s0k0y0e0

HSC
chocomello said:
just out of curiosity all the people who got over 90 in subjects, what study methods/tips can u give the new yr 12's?
Not that I got over 90 cause I'm doing HSC this year! But my GOAL is above 90! I even have it written up around my house; so I have to get above 90; right? :( :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
gordo said:
listen in class

if u truely listen in class, studying is never a problem.
that only applies if your teacher is decent....

s0k0y0e0

HSC
Sarah168 said:
that only applies if your teacher is decent....
Definitely! But if you don't have a half decent teacher, you just need to make sure you go home after your class and go over what you SHOULD HAVE learnt... :uhhuh:

Is a bit more work; but if you want to do well in your HSC its the way to go! :)

darkwarrior2

HSC
Hi im a new poster.
I am currently doing physics, business studies, chemistry, maths 2U ,3U, english 2Uadv, 3U.

I just got my results back in physics and chemistry haf- yearly and most of them are only worth 15% i didnt do too well in physics or chemistry with like 60 ish percent. and good in maths and english but average in the others

Seeing as it is only worth 15% should i really stress about my sucky marks? Because i am stressing quite a bit. Btw i study because i have to not because i want to so what should i do about this? Tips appreciated.

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i got mostly 50s in halfys. if your stressing what am i doing then?! they were worth about 25% i think. :(

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sigh missed out on 90 in 2u maths by 2 =( ...... but for IPT, I just learnt my stuff well. I guess I had a lot of interest in computing prior to doing IPT so it made things alot easier... *shrugs* Good lucK?

Riqtay

Assistant Member
HSC
Physics - 90

DON'T just grap other peoples notes and read them, make sure that you write down your own notes.

What I did was to grap notes from a number of places (from boredofstudies and past yr 12 students) and then pick out the most concise yet clear information for each topic and write a summary out using this information. MAKE SURE that you write down summaries neatly so that you can easily go back to your summaries before assessments and the HSC and revise everything quickly. Go through each syllabus point and make sure that you have notes on each one of them.

Organise your summaries and pracs and also have seperate questions on calculations (ie projectile motion etc) to practice.

Buy the success one book for Physics and work through all questions before the trials and the HSC.

If you do the above, I am sure that you can achieve a band 6.

Last edited:

HNCS

Fanatic
HSC
Wow..is HSC really that bad? I mean..all this...I thought it would be pretty easy...but ....it looks like.hard years in front....arh....this is...scary..

I don't mind working hard...but it's just that i've been used to understanding stuff...throughout the year and just sort craming..a bit of things in the last weeks..seems like...understanding ..is not enough....Hm....Arh....scary...

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
no hsc is bloody easy because if they make it too challenging everyone will complain and kids will top themselves after walking out of the exam. there is nothing to be afraid of and you dont have to work hard - just make sure that you yourself are happy that you know what you need to know for whats coming up and you will be fine. enjoy yourself and relax - in that state of mind you will do well.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
blackfriday said:
no hsc is bloody easy because if they make it too challenging everyone will complain and kids will top themselves after walking out of the exam. there is nothing to be afraid of and you dont have to work hard - just make sure that you yourself are happy that you know what you need to know for whats coming up and you will be fine. enjoy yourself and relax - in that state of mind you will do well.
That's quite true. I think I could've done better had I not freaked out so much.

cimbom

HSC
All I can say is that you really do need to make a full set of your own notes, from various sources- that you've put together throughout the year, it doesn't matter how long it is, organise it according to topics e.g. in 'fact' subjects like legal and history, and then a few weeks (or even a few days?) before the exam SYNTHESISE your notes. When I say synthesise, I mean organising all your long notes into simplified notes according to how you think you'll need them, where the information you have will be best utilised. I'll do an example for eco- I remember I had all my notes, for topic one, two, three and four... then I added to them accordingly from the last three months of news- like, say, the size of the Current Account Deficit or discussions on the Kyoto Protocol or a Free Trade Agreement with ASEAN. And then I synthesised them... like, a whole set of notes on Australia's Trade and Financial Flows- which is not just topic two of the syllabus, then each of the 'internal stability' issues like inflation and unemployment.

But one thing I should have definitely done, knowing now that it is over, is more practise. Where I could have actually considered further how I would use all this information I have prepared, thus providing me with the ability to make my notes shorter :cool: .

For English, develop your own ideas. You really need to- like, when you're reading a text have in mind what it is that you're studying, what issues etc. and draw connections as you go, make notes. It will be so much more interesting that way. When you study film especially, take down notes of what happens in each scene exactly- film techniques, developments in character... and consider further what you've read in study guides, what your teachers and other students have mentioned, to develop your OWN ideas. Throughout the year you may have assessment tasks or just homework to prepare responses for each module/elective. Once you have a good response for each question that you'll answer in HSC/ Trials, just draw ideas out of it... set out your structure for ANY kind of response, whether it be a normal essay, feature article, conversation. Maybe for 2006 it will finally be a non- essay for Brave New World/ Blade Runner???

For maths all you can do is practice. By all means do every single HSC paper, Trial Paper etc. that you can find. It will do no harm at all, whereas for other subjects actually writing extended responses may train you to prepare for a certain question. Just understand what are the basic ideas of extended response for humanities subjects like eco and history and prepare that way, with notes on whatever you can get--- and then create your structure with all the information you have from the syllabus.

For really tedious subjects like legal all you can do is memorise. I don't know what legal is to you, but it was really unbearable compared to subjects i enjoyed much more like history, english and economics. Just be PC and straight- forward, but it is really more a memory game for legal than for any other subject that I studied during HSC.

The thing that most of all sucks about the whole HSC final examination is that you don't know what they will ask you- except for subjects like maths and english. With 'facts' subjects like economics, modern history and legal studies... i'm just going by what i studied this year--- (almost last year), you need to kind- of predict what will be asked, turn your huge notes that you've been working on all year- not two weeks before or whatever, into individual smaller synthesised notes according to your educated opinion of what will be tested, looking at the trends. Like, this year, for eco- i was pretty sure they weren't going to ask a question related to the case study, mainly because they'd asked it before two years in a row, and in 2005 the case- study was a non- compulsory component of the syllabus. 2006 is the first year in which they have every right to test it. I also talked to some people on the hsc help line, which is very useful if you get the right teachers. So, I didn't bother learning Poland and it wasn't there.

The things I wish I had done were maybe making my notes even shorter... beware of *over- studying* where you just have suuuch loooong notes, that you just can't be bothered to make them shorter and study from them appropriately, by actually considering how you would best utilise all that information in the actual examination. That's probably where I stuffed up, as my exam marks definitely brought my final marks down. But i still did well. I wish you all the best for 2006!

Last edited:

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
timmii said:
1 - have fun, find a regular tv show or hobby or something to break up ur time so that the expansive hours of study aren't too overwhelming (i chose gym, and m*a*s*h at 5pm during hsc exams). I also like to listen to music while i study.
No. No. NO. NO! NO!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
GaDaMIt said:
No. No. NO. NO! NO!
Depends on the person really, wether or not music whilst studying will be beneficial. For some people it will definately be a distraction. I think it has to do with the type of music. I would definately say no to music that contains lyrics as the words will distract you subconciously. Thats perhaps why soft classical style music, could be okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)