People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (2 Viewers)

illin

Ill factor
HSC
Motivation is another thing that is very important
I find myself, being in yr12 now, in the holidays, doin no work at all and it sucks, im just procrastinating and i know it but i cant be stuffed doin it
I guess i'll do it tomorrow ;)

Amryllis

HSC
bearpooh said:
I only got 96.

My teachers had predicted 99 + but I was foolish and spent the last year or so
doing no study at all. ( I also had some personal and family issues )

I did do some study in the last month.

I am paying the price now since 96 is too low to do law at Sydney Uni and
it looks like I might have to go to ANU or even Macquarie.
Geez man... 96 is a really good UAI! And considering how much effort you said you put in, you're extremely lucky to get that high!

But I guess if you were aiming for law... That's another story.

illin

Ill factor
HSC
ANU is one of the best 4 law, thats where im goin if i dont get into UNSW for law, its ~ 95 for entry (they are lenient)

Effective study is very important not how many hours u do
do up a timetable, set some simple goals, ie. revising for ch1. production of materials for chem in less than two hours, etc

daemonic666

whats the point of this?
HSC
illin said:
Motivation is another thing that is very important
I find myself, being in yr12 now, in the holidays, doin no work at all and it sucks, im just procrastinating and i know it but i cant be stuffed doin it
I guess i'll do it tomorrow ;)
i know exactly what u mean i dont want 2 do the stupid homework either, but i have to otherwise i dont get high marks. summer homework, what a joke
:eek:

Habibsta

zxcvzxv
HSC
N/A
hgpstar said:
ok, here is what i did in the last coupla months of year 12 and i SOOOOO should have done it all along.

Use your syllabus. If you ahvent already got it, then get one now and read it over before you start stuff. find out what correlates in the textbooks, and then, after a class, work out what it correlates to with the syllabus and summarise under that particular dotpoint. Do all these summaries separate to your class work. i had to do them in a book cos our computer resides in the lounge room, so that wasnt gonna work.you will find you teacher will jump around the syllabus a bit, as will your textbook, but it doesnt matter. it just means that you ahve to be on the ball and tell you teacher when they ahve missed something. As both my chem and physics techers did, which i only realised in the last few weeks. See the value of using you syllabus all along?

Also, read ahead in you textbooks. Doesnt take long, it would take you ten minutes max to pre-read what you will cover in the next 2 or 3 lessons. it just give you an extra repetition, and you will be far less likely to get confused in class. Like i did with my friggin chem teacher, who would just start yabbering on about something we have never heard of.

If you can, dont study in your bedroom. its just not good. separate life and study. life will still be there after the hsc so dont screw it up!

Ask for extra help if you need it.

Grill you techers for as many recources as they have.

Do past papers and make you teachers mark them.

Do more past papers. Although there atill arent heaps for anything other than maths. Still, there are usually practice papers in summary books like excel, too.

Study with a disiplined friend. My best friend was a machine, and she got me going right. This is particularly good during stuvac.

And if you are the disciplined one, dont study with a REALLY unsettled friend. I had one study sesh where the guy i was with just dragged me to the beach and built a fort and squished my friend and i with jellyfish. Do have these sort of days, cos you need a life, too, but not when ur supposed to be studying!

swap resources with other people in you class and from other schools. i couldnt with other schools cos my school is pretty isolated, but get as many points of veiw as you can, expecially with humanities subjects.

Read you english texts at least twice. Shithouse, i know, especially with books like my place and jane eyre, butyou really should. Start in these hols.

OK, ive written an epic, but hey, im a lady of leisure now!

Hope something here helps. also, i actually know a couple of older people who topped subjects by doing the dictaphone thing, which i reckon i sould have done.

GOOD LUCK!
hgpstar is definitely on the money! Do everything that's said above, and you'll do well :)

daemonic666

whats the point of this?
HSC
Habibsta said:
hgpstar is definitely on the money! Do everything that's said above, and you'll do well :)
i know its good to do that, but the techers are all cself centred and expect us to do their stuff. with 5-6 classes thats a bloody lot of homework
howd you do it?

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
daemonic666 said:
i know its good to do that, but the techers are all cself centred and expect us to do their stuff. with 5-6 classes thats a bloody lot of homework
howd you do it?
youre not doing anything for them. most of the time, they couldnt give a stuff if youve done your work or not. youll have to learn how to manage time, because come uni, youll need it.

gibbo67

HSC
practice practice practice - easy way to study for the hsc/trial exams is to make sure you handwrite your summary notes early, i found writing to be useful because it reinforces the information better than merely reading, it also practices you up for the writing of the exams too.

- when practicing for social science essays, write out a plan with points for all you need to include, since i found that the rest of the filler will fall into place if i could remember the main structure.

- memorise the BOS command verbs and the sub-commands they entail (different for each subject), if it says discuss do provide points for and against (in a chem class test marks were deducted for a 3-4 mark question for not putting negatives, even though the question only asked 'discuss the advantages of x', though i doubt the BOS would intentially make a mistake like that though), also 'how' in english refers to identifcation followed up with a supporting argument (for example when you need to explain textual techniques)

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
the dux of 03 in our school memorised an essay for every single question in each module in english. Did that for her other subjects too, got 99.85.

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
ohhh i got 90 in maths... in Yr 11... i did do much special... the stuff isn that hard, few past papers... i dunno... i dont wanna sound like a cocky cunt, cos i only got 90 (could and prob should of done betta) but it understanding ur work, if u do that no matter how u study u will do well... and exam technique is important

Last edited:

Cab31

HSC
standards packs are great to help you along...also cover EVERYTHING in the syllabus and dont rely on the teachers to give it all to you

miss cherry

- ladidaaaa -
HSC
freaking_out said:
hmm...this is similiar to smart blondes- u hear about them but u never see one.:p
thats not really tru. i mean, i'm one of those indian ppl hu totally suck at maths bt am much betta at english.
i'm currently almost failin 2u maths (shame) but i do 4u english n am ranked 2nd in my grade for adv english. quite a difference, as u can see!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)