People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (1 Viewer)

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Re: ppl who got >90 in subjects how did u study?!?!

doobee said:
I'm not finished HSC yet but my teachers expect me to make the premier's all rounder's list (90+ in 10+ units).
The biggest thing that helps me is called rescue remedy. Its a stress supplement. Yes I know you need to study, but theres no point studying when you're so stressed you can't concentrate (trust me, I've tried, you just get really upset and frustrated). At the moment, all I see is people falling apart (Im friends with a lot of very smart kids) and their marks are suffering because of it. If you stay calm, keep your nerve and give it everything you've got I think that at the end of the day you'll achieve your best possible result. (So I take this anti stress thing).
My best subject is legal studies, but I'm a humanities student all round, what I find most helpful is to think a lot aobut things and to read widely and often. For example in Legal it is impressive if you can use a recent case which has been in the news (Such as Bilal Scaf's retrial which was on last night).
Also, when I study, its very intense, but I don't do nearly as much as a lot of toher people. Quality over quantity. Its reached the point where I can go over my notes in my head while I'm at work or on the bus because when I study, I remember things. I use little analogies to help me remember things, short stories etc or maybe a song that I like.
Also in the exam, think laterally, sometimes if you think outside the square for a moment, the answer will just hit you.
I don't know, it works for me! Good luck everyone!
Yes, mentality is essential. Personally, any stress level is daunting for me to study and exactly like doobee has mentioned, it drains away your concentration and true capability.
I'm leaning towards science and math. English and humanity subjects just don't interest me and neither can I crap on and on and on and on like you would during final exams. I just don't know how to digest stuff like Shakespear, etc. If you're this type of student, get ready to get a crap mark for English. But this doesn't mean you can't get a good mark if you want to, it's just that you will tend to study for your favourite subjects and forget about English until it's too late to do so. Yes, you're one of them that will fall into this pattern.

SharaHatter

HSC

Hi up-comers!

My marks ranged from 91-96 in the 06 HSC...The way i studied was through repetition - although boring it is very effective. I used the syllabus to make detailed notes and then i would highlight them and retype them cutting out what i already knew or i didn't think was necessary and then i would repeat that process until my notes were a reasonable length - 2-3 pages and then i would type out those notes once or twice and then try and say them without looking - anything i could not say i would type out again and so forth. Whilst it was time consuming, i used class time to do this as well as i took my laptop to school with me, so ultimately it was not that bad and the best part is that what u learn for the half-yearlies u will find once u start reading the notes again it will all come back to u

I no board of studies says not to rope learn essays for like English, but i did because i thought it was the only way to be able to get enough content in because the thing with english is that the content wont change, just the way u apply it to the question so, as long as u can add in ur sentences that answer the question and relate it to ur information u will be right! Also learning an essay is actually not all that hard because each sentence kinda flows onto the next so it makes it easier to remember. Mind u - English and Extension English were the only subjects i was able to do this for because it doesnt work for Economics or Modern History for instance because the questions are too broad

Anyways that was how i studied and it worked but really every person needs to work out how they learn - is it by reading, repetition, listening to notes...once u work it out ur set!

stephenchow

HSC

lambie18 said:
i didnt even write notes, thats such a waste of time.
just look over your notes and get to know the syllabus.
Must be magic notes.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC

maths - 93

be exposed to a range of maths questions ;)
the harder ones - don't give up. keeep on workin at them. =D

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC

business (90) make sure u go well in all of ur assessments so u get a good rank- then ur halfway there. throughout the year make summaries of the txtbook.. few weeks b4 exam learn all ur notes going thru syllabus.

SOR 1U(46) go well in all asessments. i only studied a few days before the exam using syllabus and notes. place emphasis on study for the extended response

Buiboi

HSC
N/A

is there anything wrong with studying off notes from various resources perhaps from the BOS site or previous year 12s and then basically memorise it...once you get the hang of that, then write your own notes as a way of testing your memory?
rather than writing out your own notes from the start?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

English (93) - seriously, READ your texts properly and do it more than once. I got a shock when we first started Cloudstreet and I couldn't remember key events that had happened simply because I hadn't read the book properly. I went back and read it again twice and ended up doing fine. Also practice essays, and practice and practice and practice. I know it's boring and crap and heck I hated doing it but if you don't you will never get any better.

Modern History (91) - This is one subject where you really have to know the topic and understand it. Rote memorisation won't get you far. There is a lot of content and you need to know it all. This is how I studied: I read every single handout and textbook chapter that we were told to, made notes and highlighted, etc, and then when I had the time I would go and find my own information to supplement it. And if you have trouble remembering dates or how certain events happened, tape a timeline to your wall, write summaries of things until you can memorise them (that's how I got a hold of half the cold war topic). Do extra research on your own, it will benefit you.

Drama (90) - For prac: Start your GP as soon as you can, and don't settle for your first few ideas; really try to do something original. It's not as easy as it sounds. Improvise, playbuild, rehearse, refine, repeat x1000...until you have something really solid to build on and perfect and shape into something fantastic. Don't put up with crap from lazy group members. For Individual Performances, start early too! Do lots of research, read a lot of scripts, play with different characters and when you know what you're gonna do, do it as well as you can and for the love of God stay away from angst/teen suicide emo shit/rape pieces.
For theory: Same as English, really. Except that being able to include little extras like quotes from playwrights and theatre professionals, classroom workshops with the texts, etc, will give your essays an edge. Learn how to write the titles of your plays properly and when/how it is appropriate to abbreviate or use other words (eg instead of writing Summer of the Seventeenth Doll a billion times you could just call it 'Lawler's play' or something).

Last edited:

talica

HSC

hmm, i like the good old fashion way of studying at the library firstly its air conditioned, roomy and has some good material for majority of your subjects

i only do my visual arts at home since im painting canvases for my body of work this year, but yeah i always attempt to study anywhere, I want to get a great UAI this year, i usually read notes on the bus or even at the lunchroom at work hahaha.

hiddenagenda

HSC

errr... im hsc '07 but most of my subjects are over 90 for prelims nd estimates etc. HAhaha well for someone i know from the grade above... it was 'YOu got WOW on da one hand, and HSC in the other'
hahaha he chose wow roflmao. oh well he still got 95+
study when your not wastedly tired. its useless lmao... lack of sleep kills you loL. If anyone has any ideas on a person to interview bout physical journeys for english... talk 2 me loL!

Ruse kicks ass =P.

orly?

HSC

actually i know ppl that studied 20 hrs ++ for hsc everyday with no sleep *_*
most ended up with 90+

HSC

That really depends on your ability and how much work you put in.

xbriii

HSC

Hey, good tips.. thank you so much! I'll hopefully put them to use..

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC

f3nr15 said:
how easy is it to get UAI 85 ?
very bloody easy

if you can control dribble coming out of your mouth, you should get over 80

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC

blackfriday said:
very bloody easy

if you can control dribble coming out of your mouth, you should get over 80
rofl.

lexonfire

HSC

ameh said:
a guy who got 100uai recited the syllabus over the dinner table every night.
lol this makes me want to shoot myself

joey00

Cheerleader.
HSC

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=- said:
for me
economics is like common sense
once you learn how the system works, it's like a machine and at yr2 lvl, u can predict wats gonna happen.
Learning the textbook is the eays bit. To get higher marks in essays u have to be analytical and state the impacts of something, rather than just writing out its definition. (unless of course its a 1 mark ques. Then u fully copy and paste from textbook, coz teachers are stingy)
The elusive "Higher-Order Thinking".

Bloody hell it's tiring. XD

jaicoppen

HSC

chocomello said:
just out of curiosity all the people who got over 90 in subjects, what study methods/tips can u give the new yr 12's?
good question

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC

tammer said:
yes i do believe some people are granted the right to use a computer in exams...
my name is in your sig
:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)