Perspective: Law student (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
47 Days, 12 Hours, 12 Minutes, 23 Seconds. The lustrous HSC is winding down to an end and suddenly I am confronted with the solemnity of it all. At the instigation of Year 10 till this very moment of perplexity - I wanted to study Medicine however my UMAT will most likely be mediocre or even worse and hence not make it. Yes, I comprehend that there are pathways into Medicine but it will take a decadence of time that I won't have and albeit the limited assurance of later acceptance.

I have deeply comtemplated Law, as an alternative/back up for Medicine or even taking precedence. If this is the case, I would most likely undertake LLB/BCom or LLB/BE at UNSW or LLB/Arts at USYD. May someone provide insight into the different constituents with Law and what a usual day of a Law student is like? The hours of studying, employment opportunities and etc.

Thanks.

f_ckthehsc

HSC
did...did you really just describe the HSC as 'lustrous'? you're tweaked, mate

enoilgam

HSC
47 Days, 12 Hours, 12 Minutes, 23 Seconds. The lustrous HSC is winding down to an end and suddenly I am confronted with the solemnity of it all. At the instigation of Year 10 till this very moment of perplexity - I wanted to study Medicine however my UMAT will most likely be mediocre or even worse and hence not make it. Yes, I comprehend that there are pathways into Medicine but it will take a decadence of time that I won't have and albeit the limited assurance of later acceptance.

I have deeply contemplated Law, as an alternative/back up for Medicine or even taking precedence. If this is the case, I would most likely undertake LLB/BCom or LLB/BE at UNSW or LLB/Arts at USYD. May someone provide insight into the different constituents with Law and what a usual day of a Law student is like? The hours of studying, employment opportunities and etc.

Thanks.
I was in a very similar situation to you at this point. I had wanted to do become a surgeon since I was in year 7. But midway through year 12 I realised that I probably wasnt going to get the ATAR or UMAT score. After finishing the HSC and comparing my ATAR and UMAT scores to those I knew who didnt get in (some of my mates had 98+ ATARs with UMAT scores in the 70s and they didnt make it), I realised that I was probably never going to get in, even if I went via an alternative pathway. So I decided to do law.

If you are really passionate about doing medicine, you're going to hate having to do law. Compared to the excitement and greatness which a medical degree promises (I know people will think I'm nuts, but to someone who is really passionate about doing medicine, they will understand), law doesnt even compare. Its painfully boring and really dull and eventually, you come to the realisation that the only reason you show up to university everyday is for money and nothing else. After 1.5 semesters of a law commerce degree, I'm already looking to transfer into something else because doing something solely for the money is a dangerous decision.

So from an ex-med student hopeful to another med-student hopeful - look elsewhere, law probably wont be for you.

Last edited:

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I despise the way you type. Just type in everyday language. :/

Anyway, law is probably the most relaxing degree after commerce. Fail rate at unsw is less than 5%, possibly due to the fact that only high-achievers get in, but still very low. Contact hours is generally around 14. Typically you will need to spend 2 hours to prepare readings for each class..so 2x2x4 = 16 hours sudying time per week PLUS the contact hours totals 30 hours. Maybe more during the midsession assessment periods or if you want to get D or HD.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
choose it if you think you have interest or passion for it, I know a friend who is planning to transfer out of law now. He only chose law cause he had the mark in... (sigh some people still think choosing your own course is entirely based on your atar and not interest...)

anyways if you are planning to come to UNSW, please bar the 1st semester of law. You will hate crap out of it that you want to rip it to shreds!!! But then 2nd semester is where the real law starts... 1st semester was a joke... foundations of law has to be the biggest joke!

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

I have deeply comtemplated Law, as an alternative/back up for Medicine or even taking precedence. If this is the case, I would most likely undertake LLB/BCom or LLB/BE at UNSW or LLB/Arts at USYD. May someone provide insight into the different constituents with Law and what a usual day of a Law student is like? The hours of studying, employment opportunities and etc.

Thanks.
You wanted to study medicine, but you went and did law. Says a lot about you.

The best advice I can give you is, follow your heart, don't follow the herd.

Don't worry, I used to think like you. We all grow up at some point.

If it helps, this is coming from someone who had scholarships to any institution to any undergraduate degree you can imagine in this country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)