Philosophy (1 Viewer)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
What? I'm still in first year dude. How could I have done a senior course?
Well I've done the introductory logic course at usyd and I can tell you, what you just wrote up are no where near the notes for it. Where is the predicate logic?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
nah the course i did was more like:

Q.3. Using trees method, determine whether the following propositions are tautologies. For any propositions that is not a tautology, read off from your tree a model on which it is false.
(∀x)(Fx ⊃ Gx) ∨ (∃x)(Fx & ~Gx)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Enteebee said:
nah the course i did was more like:

Q.3. Using trees method, determine whether the following propositions are tautologies. For any propositions that is not a tautology, read off from your tree a model on which it is false.
(∀x)(Fx ⊃ Gx) ∨ (∃x)(Fx & ~Gx)

um nope, no tautologies there.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
um nope, no tautologies there.
er no it is a tautology afaik.

1.........~((∀x)(Fx ⊃ Gx) ∨ (∃x)(Fx & ~Gx)) NTF
2.........~(∀x)(Fx ⊃ Gx)
3..........~(∃x)(Fx & ~Gx)
4.........~(Fa ⊃ Ga)
5......... Fa
6.........~Ga
7.........~(Fa & ~Ga)
............../..................\
8......... ~Fa x(5,8)....~~Ga x(6,8)

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Fuck you Brad. Stop being too smart for your own good. Go back to studying for the HSC or something.
P.S. Come to USyd
I'm studying for my philosophy distinction course.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
so what subject did you do? It seems piss easy.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
I went to some philosophy lecture at the UoW open day. From what I heard there, philosophy sounds like some great, thought-provoking, intellectual meddling ("so do a combined science/arts degree!" says my English teacher. Uh... no. Arts would probably kill me)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Yeah it was pretty easy. It was basically the philosophy underlying academic discourse. Basically we learned convention, fact, opinion and preference; deductive and inductive proof; validity and truth; evidence; and the ethics of persuasion etc. Its pretty basic stuff so yeah I guess it was pretty piss easy.
WAT WAS THE NAME OF SAID COURSE!
I assumed from your notesd it was not introductory logic, like Enteebee showed us all.

fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
@ Neb: have you done the critical thinking course. Ive considered doing it but changed my mind. If so what is it like? Sounds a bit boring imo. I dont really want to waste an arts subject.
Nah I haven't done it. I'm just aware of what's in it. I understand that it's kind of like Academic Writing, but with an emphasis on developing arguments rather than essay writing, if you get what I mean.

Do PHIL1012 for a great introduction to phil at USyd. Great subject. Tutorials were lots of fun. Prolly the best tutorials I've ever had.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
lol. nope, not at all. there's no maths, it's all reading and thinking. easy and fun. it's split into three sections

reality: self, identity, God, etc.
ethics: what's right, who's right, practicality
beauty: what's beautiful, what's art, who's right

basically, like in the reviews, a cheese plate. only mathematical junior phil is the logic one.

as for your course, it sounds like a philosophy course, just not the type of philosophy offered in that department. trust me man, 1012 is an awesome course and not a waste. it's a strong, strong course with quite good lecturers.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Oh you mean Reality, ethics and beauty... yeah I'm actually considering that... I thought you were talking about introductory logic... I still dont really get what exactly is "philosophy"... Philosophy just seems to be used in all scenarios...
Philosophy covers a lot of things though, Mel. Depends on what kind of philosophy you're talking about.

But Wikipedia says: Philosophy is the study of general problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, truth, beauty, justice, validity, mind, and language.

Its a fascinating topic. I've read some stuff about Eastern philosophy (like the Tao Te Ching), and I also did a bit of it in studies of religion (we didn't do it directly, but some phliosophy topics came up in our discussions - most of which involved me getting verbally cornered for being agnostic)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
hahahahaha What? You were verbally cornered for being an AGNOSTIC in a philosophy discussion? My god.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Enteebee said:
hahahahaha What? You were verbally cornered for being an AGNOSTIC in a philosophy discussion? My god.
Well it wasn't just philosophy, it came up in a religion discussion.

I was saying that religion wasn't the only source of morals/ethics, and that some philosophical texts also had them. Some people in my class really thought that you can't be moral without being religious.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
See thats what confuses me. Philosophy seems to be everything but if philosophy is everything, whats the use of having other subjects?
Philosophy: How to know things and then what we know, requiring an entirely cogent/logical/rational reason the entire way. When you take such things for granted you are not engaging in a philosophical discussion, i.e. Say you take science for granted without considering the epistemology/philosophy behind it. Or you say X is bad without considering your philosophical reasoning behind such a statement...

Obviously everything we do has some sort of underlying philosophy, but the study of philosophy would be when we're actively engaged with it.

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
So basically philosophy is the reasoning behind what we know? Dumb question but then what would be the difference between science and philosophy?
Science is one particular philosophy, or a philosophical method which is part of a philosophy, for gathering knowledge.

lolokay

HSC
science is philosophy? not sure that that would be correct
science = uses empirical methods, philosophy = uses thought to understand the nature of things
or sumfing

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
lolokay said:
science is philosophy? not sure that that would be correct
science = uses empirical methods, philosophy = uses thought to understand the nature of things
or sumfing
I didn't say science IS philosophy... I said science is one particular method of gathering SOME/(For some people all) knowledge which has philosophical underpinnings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)