Philosophy (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
yes indeed. you take a subject (happiness, God, law, relativity, ethics, beauty, etc) and you study the foundations of that subject.

I kinda think the whole field is being undermined by genetics, in a cruel (but awesome) twist of fate. Why is something good/bad? because the human genome sez so. why is something beautiful? because it's in our genetic code. simplified version but you get where i'm going.

With the Bulldogs next year; that is, the Yale Bul
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Hmmmm okay awesome, I think I get it now. Philosophy is the thought behind the concept. So for example in philosophy of law (PHIL2645 @ Usyd), you dont actually learn law itself, more the thought behind law. Would that be a correct statement to make?

Okay, so I have decided to go on a philosophy quest (mainly to seek truth). Will post in this thread with my questions and comments.
But Philosophy of Law isn't the same as Jurisprudence, is it?

Isn't there also a considerably lower-UAI Legal Studies or something?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
PrettyOddProlix said:
But Philosophy of Law isn't the same as Jurisprudence, is it?

Isn't there also a considerably lower-UAI Legal Studies or something?
jurisprudence is philosophy of law.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Well the human genome is never really uniform, is it? Hair colour, height, intelligence, preferences etc.

Ethics determined by social context, in my belief, doesn't quite hold. My expectation would be that certain universal truths apply with all humans until society gets a hold and then begins to morph people about. You would expect that humans have this inbuilt tendency to want to not kill. Indeed, most humans won't kill in their lifetime. Biological propagation of species would be the reason.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
ATTN: LOGIC STUDENTS.

Is this logic flawed:
Marriage between a gay couple should not be allowed because by definition, marriage is the union between a man and a woman.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Touche. Hey Neb do you think it would be possible for me to learn about philosophy without learning it at university i.e. I research for myself. Or do you think that there is no way to learn philosophy without the universities guidance?
You could learn it yourself. I mean, I am (trying to). It started in studies of religion, where we were having debates on religion and morals/ethics. I looked up a few philosophical texts to prove that there have been secular sources of ethics, and that's kind of where my interest in philosophy started.

Basically, I've been reading about ideas in philosophy, and then reading some philosophical texts. But the equations that Brad and Enteebee were posting earlier look mighty confusing...

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
sei said:
The essence of PHIL1007 is that you can't KNOW anything for certain.
yeah my cousin was telling me about it. she asked me what colour snowmen were. and i said white usually. and she said 'what is white.....how do you know what white is and how do you know that IT is white.'

trippy stuff haha

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
ATTN: LOGIC STUDENTS.

Is this logic flawed:
Marriage between a gay couple should not be allowed because by definition, marriage is the union between a man and a woman.
Under that definition, marriage between a gay couple isn't even possible. So the logic is flawed in that "gay marriage" is a contradiction in terms.

55HS

HSC
If something is 'by definition' the union between a man and a woman then it doesn't matter whether someone 'allows gay marriages' to exist. Unless what you mean is that "The definition of marriage should not be allowed to change to include gay marriage because the definition by current definition marriage is the union between a man and a woman", in which case you just don't have a premise to support that conclusion.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
squeenie said:
You could learn it yourself. I mean, I am (trying to). It started in studies of religion, where we were having debates on religion and morals/ethics. I looked up a few philosophical texts to prove that there have been secular sources of ethics, and that's kind of where my interest in philosophy started.

Basically, I've been reading about ideas in philosophy, and then reading some philosophical texts. But the equations that Brad and Enteebee were posting earlier look mighty confusing...
what have you been reading squeens?

EDIT: Anyone here want to recommend me some reading material in philosophy?

Last edited:

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:

I started with the Tao Te Ching, an ancient Chinese philosophical text. My pursuits in philosophy have been mostly Wikipedia adventures so far - just looking up some philosophical concepts and famous philosophers. But I do plan to get to some real philosophy reading now that HSC is over.

Anything you would recommend?

Edit: Or anyone else would recommend for that matter?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
so you lied? you said SOME philosophical texts. you're a little lying cunt. is that what you're saying?

55HS

HSC
Daniel Dennett, Douglas Hofstadter and John Rawls.

With the Bulldogs next year; that is, the Yale Bul
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:

Classical or contemporary?
Prefatorial or intricate?

http://plato.stanford.edu/
^ It ain't bad.
Dumsum said:
Under that definition, marriage between a gay couple isn't even possible. So the logic is flawed in that "gay marriage" is a contradiction in terms.
Argumentum ad antiquitatem/false induction?

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
so you lied? you said SOME philosophical texts. you're a little lying cunt. is that what you're saying?
Oh, and also a few things from Plato that I was flipping through during a study period in the school library.

Edit: And I said MOSTLY Wikipedia adventures.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Argumentum ad antiquitatem
Um, no, lol.

fuck off 08er

squeenie said:
Oh, and also a few things from Plato that I was flipping through during a study period in the school library.
Plato is a hack. If you want some real itchy shit, read some Cronshaw.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
I go to the cafe and read Jean-Paul Sartre, that wondrous brainiac whose eyes pointed in different directions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)