Philosophy (1 Viewer)

Aprilpeters

HSC
ChangingPants said:
Ahh yes, philosophy. One that always always has a profound effect on me is contemplation of the concept of existence. Not existentialism, but existence. We know as little about existence as we do about death. Stare at yourself in the mirror sometimes, and try to step outside yourself, look at yourself as though from the eyes of a stranger. It is a momentary sensation when you manage to wrap your mind around something so puzzling as existence and being... it only lasts a split second - perhaps beyond the reach and capabilities of our limited human minds?

I have a question for all of you, and he/she who answers it with justification shall receive my prize.
--Could God make an ocean so deep that even HE would drown in it?
--Could God build a prison so strong that even HE could not break free?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....mmm....
the answer is NO
god is not a physical object and hence is not bound by those rules

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Enteebee said:
er no it is a tautology afaik.

1.........~((∀x)(Fx ⊃ Gx) ∨ (∃x)(Fx & ~Gx)) NTF
2.........~(∀x)(Fx ⊃ Gx)
3.........~(∃x)(Fx & ~Gx)
4.........~(Fa ⊃ Ga)
5......... Fa
6.........~Ga
7.........~(Fa & ~Ga)
............../..................\
8......... ~Fa x(5,8)....~~Ga x(6,8)
Logic rocks my socks. Without using universal/existential instantiation you could also show that 2 contradicts 3 using standard tautologies:

2.........~(∀x)(Fx ⊃ Gx)

2.1.........(∃x)~(~Fx ∨ Gx)
2.2.........(∃x)(Fx & ~Gx)

(which contradicts 3 - reductio ad absurdum, etc...)

Tangent

HSC
i havent read much about philosophy, but i spend alot of time wondering
somethings that i have read/seen that have impacted on me:

Bartimaeus trilogy (contains some small points of philosophy, especially towards the end + it is really fun to read)
Select short stories by Lori Lebow (eg attitube adjustment agency)
catcher in the rye

Television
Neon genesis evangelion (really sets u thinking, inner workings of human kind)
Code geass (human nature)
Death Note (ethics and morals)
to a lesser extent-amatsuki (life and its meaning)-really bad ending

also stuff by Beckett is good for existentialism (eg waiting for godot, not I)-introduced through school drama

p.s. i really should b able to think of more, but im just a little brain dead

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
this thread is trippy :spzz:
No, it's not.
This thread involves high school students debating their very basic and simplistic views upon philosophy in unprecise and ineloquent language.
You want real trippiness, read some real philosophy texts. I'm currently plodding my way through Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy, but even that's not all that advanced.

silverpebble

HSC
I am doing the usyd Mind and Morality yr 11 course. It's challenging in a good way but frustrating at the same time, mind-body problem is probably the hardest essay I've ever had to write :S Cartesian Dualism is nomologically outdated and Materalism is too rigid about soul theory so I proposed Nondualism. I think I prefer eastern philosophy actually.

Compared to my other mandatory classes I feel like I've learnt something valuable in the direction of my knowledge priorities but I've also realised that learning philosophy in an academic setting is too rigorous for me. I've always imagined the ideal setting to be in a mellow coffee house/bookshop with a small table of friends discussing ideas without having your psyche seared. (I'm just anxious to be marked.. and sick of school in general). Who doesn't just want to pour over books on their bed in their pjs (preferably when it's pouring outside) without the pressure of being assessed..

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
is there a chance that sometime in the distant future we will be able to enter a door and come through another door in a different country in a matter of seconds:eek:
Not with current understanding of relatvitity, energy production and the nature of the physical universe. But maybe someday.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
i once read a book which gave an example using a string:
the fastest way to reach point b from point a would be the string folded. What's the go with that? Apparently that's how this theory operates.
Yeah, Sam Neil's character in Event Horizon said pretty much the same, except with a piece of paper.
It's entirely an unproven theory, based upon logic and ignoring the fact it is physically impossible for humans to currently do so. Maybe sometime in the future we'll discover someway of doing it, but then again we may only find that it does contradict all the laws of physics (known and unknown) and that we never will be able to.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
i thought about it for a second and your right, coz moving an object like a chair for example requires all the particles breakin up into gazillions of particles and recreating itself in the other side of the world, doing this with a human would kill the human, so before anything, even if it is possible, keeping the person alive is the issue.
No, I think the more realistic (for lack of a better word) scenario is that you will create a wormhole or portal and will move through that. As far as I know, this would not involve physically breaking up your body and moving it, but rather through evading the physical gap between destinations by way of punching a hole in the space-time continuum.
Although, the sheer amount of power you would need to do this would probably exceed the total amount of electrical power generated on Earth at any one time.
Although, now that I think about it, breaking up the body into microscopic particles and transporting them might not kill you. If every single atomic and sub-atomic particle was placed back in exactly the same place, then it should not leave you with any damage.
If you think about what does kill people, it's that the atoms actually move position in relation to the rest of the body. If you stab someone, the atoms and the cells seperate and cell function may cease because the atoms have shifted and damaged it. Old age kills through the cells breaking down at a faster rate of rejuvenation, and cell breakdown is caused as atoms shift and move.
It may actually work.

SMP213

HSC
im not really into philosophy, but my brither studied it, n watever he told me about it was really interesting!
if i had time, id probably study it! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)