• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

PHYS (2 Viewers)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I trolled the CATEI survey soo much, it wasn't even funny. I wrote an essay explaning why I would rather put honey on my genitals and glue bacon to my body and walk into a zoo than sit in a physics problem solving class. The teaching assistant was looking at me funny because I had so much to write, but sadly j couldn't finish it because I had to go to my nest class

But yeh AD; they sound like good improvements for the course

wtf lol.

My mate wrote "made me swaggier" on the survey lol. I didn't cross it out and just wrote my side of things below any way.

I did that survey and gave advice, but I did not do the CATEI one which is for the whole course. I had some useful info but they made the deadline before exams like why would they do that if you can tell them how you felt about the exams too?

Seriously thought I was gonna get shrekt at physics, but after reading the lecture slides, a lot makes sense. (probs cause I never went to lectures) This works for me, it may sound like an obvious thing to do, but in a question just list all your knowns/unknowns etc try and go from there, list out possible equations and stuff and take a deep breath and take it slow don't rush yourself you're better off completing like 75% of test well instead of rushing all of it and making errors all over the place.
idk I attended all the lectures and I look at the mechanics lecture slides which are ok and understandable but don't really show you how to answer questions with them.

The mechanics lectures just dumped information on us. You know all the info but come to the exam papers and it takes a long time to learn to apply them. Meanwhile thermal and waves and oscillations had heaps of good examples and the distribution of marks for me will be like 20/60 section 1 and 50/60 section 2. Its so bad lol.

What do we need to get to do the supp exam
I'm pretty sure you have to come really close to passing and at least have gotten good marks (somewhere in the high 80's) in the other components of the course.

Just focus on the actual exam and you should be ok!

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Think for supplementary its in the range of like 40-49%

D94

HSC
N/A
What do we need to get to do the supp exam
That depends on how many marks you got during the semester and how many marks you got for the final exam. You must pass the supplementary exam in order to pass the course, and you must achieve at least 50% raw overall to pass the course. The other stipulation is that your "final exam mark" is the average of your original exam mark and your supplementary exam mark. This is the mark that contributes to your overall mark.

For example, say if you are sitting on 30/40 for the semester assessments, and let's say you flunk the final exam and get 40/100. Since you must pass the course and pass the supplementary, and since your final exam mark is the average of the supplementary and original exam mark, your minimum final exam mark is the average of 40/100 and 50/100, which is 45/100. They check whether you would pass if you achieved the minimum pass mark, so that would be 45/100 * 60 = 27 marks (out of 60). Add this to your 30 marks, and you would get 57/100, which is an overall pass, therefore, you would be offered an invited to do the supplementary exam.

Simplifying this into a formula: Semester Assessments (out of 40) + 60*(Original Exam Percentage + 50%)/2 >= 50.

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
That depends on how many marks you got during the semester and how many marks you got for the final exam. You must pass the supplementary exam in order to pass the course, and you must achieve at least 50% raw overall to pass the course. The other stipulation is that your "final exam mark" is the average of your original exam mark and your supplementary exam mark. This is the mark that contributes to your overall mark.

For example, say if you are sitting on 30/40 for the semester assessments, and let's say you flunk the final exam and get 40/100. Since you must pass the course and pass the supplementary, and since your final exam mark is the average of the supplementary and original exam mark, your minimum final exam mark is the average of 40/100 and 50/100, which is 45/100. They check whether you would pass if you achieved the minimum pass mark, so that would be 45/100 * 60 = 27 marks (out of 60). Add this to your 30 marks, and you would get 57/100, which is an overall pass, therefore, you would be offered an invited to do the supplementary exam.

Simplifying this into a formula: Semester Assessments (out of 40) + 60*(Original Exam Percentage + 50%)/2 >= 50.
Thanks for clearing that up. Makes me feel much better.

HSC
N/A
yeah im doing 1111 can barely do problems without looking at worked solutions :(
I'm doing phys1111 as well and I still find it difficult.

were you on the last day of the lecture? krystyna spoon fed us with the exam questions!

physics 1a is bloody difficult good thing i dropped out asap!

Im surprised that a lot of people are finding physics difficult but do not exert the time to learn the material. I mean, during consultation hours, (on week 14) there were around 5-6 students in the consultation room! (including us the phys1111 students!) it made me think, damn i must be really dumb for not understanding this physics thing. I was there 3x that week.

all the best guys!

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
the scaling was freaking huge last year, stop freaking out haha. i think the average was around 30% so if you got that and did ok in the assessments you at least passed

phys1111 scaled too i think - i got a HD somehow after not working all sem and then cramming :S yay for formula sheets. i suggest you read through the textbook if you have it and attempt the worked questions, and focus on the exam tips/questions you got, that's what helped me. good luck

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
the scaling was freaking huge last year, stop freaking out haha. i think the average was around 30% so if you got that and did ok in the assessments you at least passed

phys1111 scaled too i think - i got a HD somehow after not working all sem and then cramming :S yay for formula sheets. i suggest you read through the textbook if you have it and attempt the worked questions, and focus on the exam tips/questions you got, that's what helped me. good luck
completely contradicting what D94 said

klavier

HSC
E = Q + W question is rather easy from what I've seen

basically W is area, Q is given
E=0 if isothermal ... etc

circular motion question should be free marks as well
just write GMm/R^2 = mv^2/r for most cases

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
l0lwut, I don't think you can get a pass from that. Otherwise why is there still 16% who fail.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
E = Q + W question is rather easy from what I've seen

basically W is area, Q is given
E=0 if isothermal ... etc

circular motion question should be free marks as well
just write GMm/R^2 = mv^2/r for most cases
wtf are you saying lol

l0lwut, I don't think you can get a pass from that. Otherwise why is there still 16% who fail.
fail rate must be higher

lol; we got the kkk in here

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)