Physics marathon (hsc) (1 Viewer)

clarg

HSC
I guess you could say that, But I'm not really too sure about the whole "bulging" thing.
As something1 and I said, it probably has more to do with the centrifugal effect.

Yes please, no long responses. just some nice phy questions.
The centrifugal effect causes a bulge lol, look 'Centrifugal bulge' up.

Edit: Actually 'Equatorial Bulge'.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
A very powerful cannon is able to shoot a 1kg cannon ball from the equator all the way to either of the geographical poles. The cannon is pointed to the geographical north pole and is fired.

Describe what occurs and explain why the ball does or doesn't reach the geographical north pole.

deswa1

HSC
I just found a really hard question that was in a paper a few years ago, it was worth 5 marks.
"Discuss the implications of Schrodingers cat in relation to the Copenhagen equation."
Strong troll. I'll bite though- I don't know what the Copenhagen equation is but I think Schrodingers cat has something to do with quantam mechanics and inherent uncertainty. I think its like a thought experiment where a cat is inside a box and whether an atom decays or not (which we know is random) determines whether poison is released which'll kill the cat. As we can't see inside the box though and we can't tell if the atom has decayed at point T in time (because radioactive decay is random), then for all intents, the cat is both alive and dead at the same time. This might be wrong though- I'll look up the Copenhagen equation and see what that's about

clarg

HSC
Not sure about in focus, but there is a subheading in in2Physics: 'variations in gravitational field', which details numerous things, i.e. altitude, equatorial bulge, differences in Earth's density, position of Sun/Moon ETC.

deswa1

HSC
A very powerful cannon is able to shoot a 1kg cannon ball from the equator all the way to either of the geographical poles. The cannon is pointed to the geographical north pole and is fired.

Describe what occurs and explain why the ball does or doesn't reach the geographical north pole.
Does this have something to do with the coriolis effect?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I just found a really hard question that was in a paper a few years ago, it was worth 5 marks.
"Discuss the implications of Schrodingers cat in relation to the Copenhagen equation."
We don't learnt that equation ... My teacher never said anything about that.

deswa1

HSC
We don't learnt that equation ... My teacher never said anything about that.
Its not in the course lol- its way beyond syllabus.

Q/ Explain the effect on the electric current produced by a photocell if the distance from the light is doubled

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
These questions that you people post are much harder than the hsc ones.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Q/ Explain the effect on the electric current produced by a photocell if the distance from the light is doubled
It would be a quarter of the original current because intensity because light intensity follows the inverse square law.

That would be the basis of my answer - I'd add more but that line look like enough.

RishBonjour

HSC

is this in a vacuum? then it wouldn't effect the current as light will still have the same strength--> same number of photons reaching the p-n junction--> same current? not sure.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
is this in a vacuum? then it wouldn't effect the current as light will still have the same strength--> same number of photons reaching the p-n junction--> same current? not sure.
Depends on the light source, to be honest - if it's a laser, most of the light will hit but if it's like a star (Sun) then it follows the inverse square law.

RishBonjour

HSC
Depends on the light source, to be honest - if it's a laser, most of the light will hit but if it's like a star (Sun) then it follows the inverse square law.
ohh yes, the inverse square law, completely forgo :(. In that case it would decrease, since less photons reach the junction--> less electrons excited (considering frequency satisfies work function)

btw, what was the answer to the cannon question? sounds interesting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)