Physics or Chemistry? (1 Viewer)

jaaaaay

HSC
hi people...
i'm new to the forum... as you can see... ^^;; but i was wondering what advice people would give me on my current situation...

i'm doing 13 units:
english advanced
english extension 1
mathematics extension 1
mathematics extension 2
physics
chemistry
accounting (tafe)

many have told me, 13 units is a lot for year 12...
so i was considering dropping one of my subjects - but i'm not quite sure about the whole 'scaling' of the subjects...

is it true that chemistry usually scales higher than physics?
is it advisable that i drop chemistry (well, i am better at physics than chemistry...)?
or should i not drop at all??

please help!!! ><"
confused...
i want to decide before the holidays are over!!!

thanx....

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
do both. or if you have to, keep phys if you're better at it. it doesnt matter much about scaling, what matters is that u do well at it. personally tho, i did both and dont regret it.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Why drop? Don't take scaling into account, it changes every single year, so ignore it. If you are doing better in physics than chemistry, and chemistry is by far your weakest subject, then I suggest you drop chemistry. But if you are going well in chemistry, then keep it.

HSC
Are you enjoying all of your subjects?? If not, drop the subject which you aren't enjoying.

Nesty

Proud TB =)
HSC
don't drop it if you're coping with it. as long as you do well, all the shit about scaling doesn't affect that much. even if you drop, drop the one that you're least capable at.

jaaaaay

HSC
thanks guys! judging from the advice...

i think i might be dropping chemistry...
prefer physics a lot more, and doing a lot better in that subject...

well, again,
thanx for everyone's input... :)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Just be careful, most science courses at uni require some chem knowledge althought not 'pre-req' (if that's what your going into) but then again if you enjoy chem the least, or need it later there are always bridging courses. Good Luck :)

ichiraku

HSC
I never did Physics, so I can't tell you much about that. Most of my friends however said the prelim course is supposedly more interesting than the HSc course.

Chemistry on the other hand completely sucks ass in prelims. The HSC course is definetely a lot better though.

Just go with which ever of the two you enjoy more, and probably on that note do better at.

jaaaaay

HSC
okay... dr baby beanie mentioned pre-reqs...
i heard bridging courses are really bad ><"

i feel like i should drop chemistry...

my situation:
i'm getting nineties in physics and my worst ever ranking was 7th,
but last assessment in chemistry I got 67% :bomb: and my best ever ranking was 22nd... ><"

but...
there's a chance I want to do those subjects that require chem
- if not as pre-reqs or assumed knowledge...
is it better i just do a bridging course if i need it later?

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Another way to put it is 3 terms left or hell aka chemistry or 3 weeks (or however long they go for) of intense hell.

I really do have to say do go for the one you like best which seems to be physics, but don't take everyone's advice too seriously, you really have to do what's best for you. Some other advice, you might want to talk to your parents (and close friends) coz they would probs know you best, know your personality, know how you work etc...coz we're just strangers on this forum giving advice to another stranger (I'm not dissing anyone or anything)

I've said it somewhere else but maybe should try to wait until the half yearlies, you might find you do better or like the course more, or you may find another course that you would rather drop. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

jaaaaay

HSC
dr baby beanie: thanks!! yea, i know i shouldn't take everyone's advice too seriously, but it's good to hear what others think that don't know me too =]

but i'm more inclined to drop chem now...

ranking 4th-7th in the grade (with 11units)
certainly sounds a lot better than ranking 22nd-33rd (and having to do 13 units)!

thanx again!! :)

Chocolat

HSC
Oh how I wish I was the one contemplating dropping Chemistry....oops...did I type that? lol

Well, like most people have commented, it does seem like you're killing Physics, so if I had to drop one of the two, I'd drop Chemistry.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
whoa jaaay im almost doing the same subjects as you, but instead of your accounting i do agriculture (argh compulsory).
yeah by what you've said, i would drop chemistry. scaling doesnt matter so long as you enjoy the subject and do well in it ^^
as for me ... i have 13 units too and i dunno which one to drop .. phys or chem .. im doing crap in chem , but i get it ( yeah , weird hey ) .. and physics i struggle to understand yet i don't do too badly in.
so im in a bit of a tangle .. but i'll wait for my half yearlies.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
xclusv2bhung said:
i do agriculture (argh compulsory).
Compulsory agriculture? What the? I understand compulsory English, ext English and SOR but Ag?! lol. Do you like go to Jame Ruse or some country school? :confused:

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Yup, spot on soulsearcher =P
Hurlstone .. I came as a senior, and its compulsory for seniors, if you havn't studied it for junior years.
><;; ack

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)