Physics or chemistry (1 Viewer)

marauder7

HSC
So just wondering which science between PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY
Should be picked if you are an English/history/science person?
Basically between the two, which uses more skills/essays and direction of thought of humanities?

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Chem has way more humanities stuff and involves a shitload of essays style questions.

marauder7

HSC
For real? So chem would go better with 4 unit English and a history than physics?

madharris

HSC
N/A
For real? So chem would go better with 4 unit English and a history than physics?
Can't say much for the physics course since I didn't do it but:
The year 11 chem course requires quite a bit of calculations, but once you understand how to to them then you'll be fine.

The year 12 chem course has significantly less calculations and a lot of theory and history; you can't treat chem like history.
In order to do well, you should try to understand the content of chem instead of just remembering it like history

Year 11 chem is basically what chemistry is
Year 12 chem is basically what chemistry is used for

HAX0R

HSC
Chemistry.
Physics is more about knowing content and doing calculations than writing long responses.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Personally I'm a humanities person and in that respect I actually found Physics easier to grasp, yes there is more maths and equation solving involved within it but the humanities aspect allows you to really understand the subject conceptually. (BUT A HUGE PART OF IT WAS BIAS, I didn't enjoy chem and it didn't interest me whilst Physics really interests me.)

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
It doesn't matter what 'goes' with English and History, it matters what you enjoy. Chem is definitely the more humanities side as far as the sciences go (even Bio if you're considering that), while Physics is a lot more Maths-y esp. once HSC hits. Go with your gut, if you're so unsure, is there any way to pick up both?

marauder7

HSC
It doesn't matter what 'goes' with English and History, it matters what you enjoy. Chem is definitely the more humanities side as far as the sciences go (even Bio if you're considering that), while Physics is a lot more Maths-y esp. once HSC hits. Go with your gut, if you're so unsure, is there any way to pick up both?
Well to be honest is I enjoy both of them; I've got a parent whose a physics teacher, and had a grandfather a chemistry teacher. Yet my problem is that chem and modern history are in same lines so in trying to figure out wether I should go with ancient history and chem or physics and modern history ?
Fact is my major strength is in history whereas I'm doing well in science but figuring out which history and which science will go with my 4 unit englsib and economics does matter. Cheers for the tip as well.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Why can't you do both ancient and modern and no sciences?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Gear away from both. There are around 15 other humanities courses better for you than Physics or Chemistry.

Before choosing Chem or Physics, you need to know what type of learner you are. Rote or application?

Physics is more ROTE than Chem, simply because you have to remember useless stuff here and there.
However, Physics does have 3 times more calculation work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)