Physics scores being very low? (1 Viewer)

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
It's not easy to compare with low ranking schools however. We had 3 Band 6's in Physics last year and that was the first time there was at least one Band 6 in Physics since 2008-ish at my school. Do keep in mind that the total relative percentage of Band 6's from last year was quite ordinary (if not a bit lower than usual) so that was not a reason as to why we got 3 Band 6's last year.

Yeah probably need to know about his tutored kids to compare here as I have no idea how his school kids went last year.
Last year his school kids got 7th in state

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Last year his school kids got 7th in state
I thought that was his tutored student though?

Ok this is getting really weird now regardless.

Going to check where the Band 6's are (which school's) once the sortable excel file is of reach.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Aww thanks :)

Sucks to hear that this has happened to not only me. Was rather devastated considering the copious amounts of effort I put into the subject. I am sure the same is applicable to you too (hopefully there was some mistake)!

P.S: heard about your Chem mark omfg gratzzzzzzzzzz
I know I put loads of effort into modern, my average mark was 97? I really hope there was just a mistake! My teacher went into school during her maternity leave to work out how on earth it happened. I can see there being a lot of physics students equally upset and confused since it looks like phys band sixes have been rare this year.

I know that by BOS standards a 93 for chem isn't that spectacular, but where I'm from no one ever gets that. I was so happy I literally cried when I read it haha.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I know I put loads of effort into modern, my average mark was 97? I really hope there was just a mistake! My teacher went into school during her maternity leave to work out how on earth it happened. I can see there being a lot of physics students equally upset and confused since it looks like phys band sixes have been rare this year.

I know that by BOS standards a 93 for chem isn't that spectacular, but where I'm from no one ever gets that. I was so happy I literally cried when I read it haha.
Just be a bit careful there. I had a HSC marker teacher for English telling me I would get a Band 6 after exams were over. I ended up with a high Band 4 instead lol.

However, do indeed get a results check if you think there may have been a problem with it clerically. By this, if you got say 10 marks less than expected, then follow it up with a clerical check.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Just be a bit careful there. I had a HSC marker teacher for English telling me I would get a Band 6 after exams were over. I ended up with a high Band 4 instead lol.

However, do indeed get a results check if you think there may have been a problem with it clerically. By this, if you got say 10 marks less than expected, then follow it up with a clerical check.
Yeah I'm definitely ready to accept the fact that I might just not be as good as I thought I was. And there was no one in my class to carry my assessment mark for me so one bad day in the exam or one misinterpreted question could easily have cost me the whole subject. But I'd still like to check just in case, especially since I'll be so close to the cut off for my course, I'd hate to miss out on my first preference over a clerical error.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
was there anything particularly different about the exam itself this year?

(didn't tutor physics at all this year so I've been really out of touch)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah I'm definitely ready to accept the fact that I might just not be as good as I thought I was. And there was no one in my class to carry my assessment mark for me so one bad day in the exam or one misinterpreted question could easily have cost me the whole subject. But I'd still like to check just in case, especially since I'll be so close to the cut off for my course, I'd hate to miss out on my first preference over a clerical error.
Wait for your ATAR first and if you are in the clear then you should be all good.

mreditor16

HSC
According to Fizzy, he said this to me this morning - "8.5% got B6 in Physics this year (9.2% in 2013)"

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
According to Fizzy, he said this to me this morning - "8.5% got B6 in Physics this year (9.2% in 2013)"
Was 12-13% the normal range?

If it is, then 2013 and 2014 aligning for HSC Physics probably have been weaker than usual.

iStudent

HSC
How does he know, lol.
Does he take a sample space of half the cohort?
Or was it a random guess?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Ok so actually for 2013 HSC Physics, the amount of Band 6's awarded was relatively higher by percentage compared to other years (usually around 8% to 8.5% get a Band 6 in Physics). Overall the numbers last year were also higher. So it seems that last year was an odd year with quite a large amount of Band 6's relatively. Also, 2009 was an odd year with 11.44% getting Band 6 lol.

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
Was 12-13% the normal range?

If it is, then 2013 and 2014 aligning for HSC Physics probably have been weaker than usual.
Does this mean that it will scale higher? Or is the general cohort just becoming weaker.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it was the same across the board - I got 87 in Biology. Of course, that is by no means terrible, albeit not great. My internal average was 98 (yes, it probably was inflated). However, I discussed this with a lot of other candidates that have received B6s in other courses, and they too have fairly low marks. Hopefully scaling is favourable this year for the sciences (even though it generally is). I will definitely be buying my raw marks.
For some reason, more than 50% of the bio class at my school got a band 6. I'm actually shocked.

mreditor16

HSC
Number of Band 6s in the State for Physics over the Years

2014 = 8.5%
2013 = 9.2%
2012 = 7.93%
2011 = 8.92%
2010 = 8.32%

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I thought that was his tutored student though?

Ok this is getting really weird now regardless.

Going to check where the Band 6's are (which school's) once the sortable excel file is of reach.
Nope the 7th in the state was his school student.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Number of Band 6s in the State for Physics over the Years

2014 = 8.5%
2013 = 9.2%
2012 = 7.93%
2011 = 8.92%
2010 = 8.32%
Data would suggest that 2013 aligning was the best but I thought 2013 aligning wasn't that great (maybe someone can make comparisons using the raw mark database).

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Nope the 7th in the state was his school student.
Yeah bad memory.

Data would suggest that 2013 aligning was the best but I thought 2013 aligning wasn't that great (maybe someone can make comparisons using the raw mark database).
Nah so the aligning was poor, however the marking/paper ease combination was generous (as in more people got higher raw marks).

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC

I know these feels. Last year our school got 2 band 6s in the total year i.e. two kids got one band 6 each and that was it (and it was Drama which was done via distance education LOLOLOLOL). The highest ATAR was 86. The Deputy Principal (she my bae) was ecstatic about my results.

For some reason, more than 50% of the bio class at my school got a band 6. I'm actually shocked.
My school is ranked in the 600s. I don't think there's been a b6 in some time (in regards to the sciences). I really thought that I'd get higher than 87 tbh considering my internal was 98. But it is what it is - maybe I just performed badly or wasn't as good as I thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)