Physics, the "I don't understand what's going on thread!" (1 Viewer)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I really want to thank everyone for their advice, it's really helped me feel less stressed about Physics. Thanks Guys :)

To Rivet, Thank You, you're really helpful. I just might take you up on your offer and PM sometime. :p

I've read quite a bit of my textbook yesterday on waves and it did clear up a few things. :D

P.S I have a really stupid question that I'm sure of all you would know.

What is happening at the antinode of a Standing Wave?

(The textbook mentioned something about the string oscillating back and forth, is that essentially the answer?)

Skater_bum

HSC
two types of waves :

transverse - all electro magnetic waves ( all travel at the speed of light )

Longitudinal - (compression) waves all sound waves

t = period

lambda = wavelength

f = freq / hz

thats basicly what ya need to know right now anyway

Skater_bum

HSC
oh yeah dont forget torsanal waves : pretty much means twisting of oscillation

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Skater_bum said:
two types of waves :

transverse - all electro magnetic waves ( all travel at the speed of light )

Longitudinal - (compression) waves all sound waves

t = period

lambda = wavelength

f = freq / hz

thats basicly what ya need to know right now anyway
Are you sure? That's a bit too easy, isn't it?

vizman

HSC
we have an awesome physics teach - he is old school - computer illiterate :D

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
~shinigami~ said:
What is happening at the antinode of a Standing Wave?

(The textbook mentioned something about the string oscillating back and forth, is that essentially the answer?)
The particle at the antinode basically always reaches the maximum displacement (ie. the amplitude of the wave), and is the midpoint between two adjacent nodes.

And to your other question, why, have you been doing anything, I mean ANYTHING at all other than those at school? :p Geez I just wish the teacher would just get on with it... :/

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Elke said:
I am having a bit of trouble with physics too. I reckon my teacher has a few screws loose and I don't really like him or his teaching methods, and i would complain to someone higher, but he is the head teacher.
I don't even like or enjoy physics, and aren't really getting all the concepts 100%, but I'm aiming at a career in aviation, so took it to benefit that, even though you really do nothing to do with that in the couse.
Our teacher gave us these "time savers" booklets (time savers for whom I ask).
We dont even take notes, all we do is highlight passages in these booklets and answer questions on them in our workbooks.
I have the Jacaranda text book btw, however I barely use it.

Edit: Also I forgot to mention, I am one of 4 girls out of about 28 in my physics class - the only one in yr 11.

My teachers crap aswell, you should see my class its gone down from 26 to 13, 8 girls left the class because the teacher is sexist and crap, my class is going to be 12 tomorrow and only 2 girls are in it., i'm going to do biology. You can always do a bridging course for physics.

HSC
Hahaha, my class started off with about 13 people (a bit less than that actually...) but noone's left yet.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
in reference to there being only longitudinal and transverse waves, theres my own spactime continuum waves, theyre called bookiewaves, but only 5th year post grad students can understand that.

Last edited:

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
airie said:
The particle at the antinode basically always reaches the maximum displacement (ie. the amplitude of the wave), and is the midpoint between two adjacent nodes.
THank you very much for answering my question. Compared to other people, I feel really stupid in Physics.

airie said:
And to your other question, why, have you been doing anything, I mean ANYTHING at all other than those at school? :p Geez I just wish the teacher would just get on with it... :/
Well we're current'y praticing all that refraction stuff in preperation for our assessment.

P.S You I've thought about it a bit more and I'm gonna have to say my Physics teacher isn't all that bad. He's probably pretty decent and I'm just not getting Physics quite yet.

orcachik

HSC
hey guys,
i just came over this thread and felt like adding I DONT GET PHYSICS!
like iv got a sick teacher coz i have him for chem aswell n i love chem, but i jus dont understand the concepts behind it all
does anyone know how well it all scales in the long run?

Glen Anderson

Captain Affirmative
HSC
vizman said:
we have an awesome physics teach - he is old school - computer illiterate :D
yeah mines decent as well, he always tries to give us real world examples that can actually be understood.
don't worry if you don't understand it if ur in yr 11 just now. they always make the first 1 or 2 chapters harder than they should be so they are only left with those who are willing to learn.(my class started out with about 18 and now 10 with 2 more considering dropping it at the start of year 12 now.
One of the most important things is to enjoy the teacher cos if you try to hate him you will go worse cos u have no1 to ask questions to. execpt us

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Skater_bum said:
law of reflection : angle of I equals to angle of R
Refraction

n=sinI/sinR

Where "n" is the refractive index, I is the angle of incidence and "R" is the angle of refraction.

It's like any other formula, a question would usually give you two values and you can work out the third.

I don't why I posted that, probably because Skater_bum set a trend.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
~shinigami~ said:
Refraction

n=sinI/sinR

Where "n" is the refractive index, I is the angle of incidence and "R" is the angle of refraction.

It's like any other formula, a question would usually give you two values and you can work out the third.

I don't why I posted that, probably because Skater_bum set a trend.
more "two values, find the third formulae..."

V = IR

Power = VI

F = mg

Momentum = pv

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
V = f x Lambda

V = Velocity
f = Frequency
Lambda = Wavelength

F = m x a

F = Force
m = mass
a = acceleration

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Mountain.Dew said:
V = IR

Power = VI
Substituting V = IR into P = VI, we obtain Ploss=I2R, which is what I've just been doing in the HSC course with working out the power loss when electricity is transferred across via power lines and sub stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)