PHYSICS y have you gotten this way? (1 Viewer)

lfc_reds2003

haha my teacher bought a torch today that doesn't use batteries but recharges itself just by shaking it... its soo useless as the light is so dim.....

i thought it was funny..

set him back $30

lum

HSC
yeah, it's pretty bs how the stupid course is just about memorising stuff. i mean, if ur so interested in the history, then do extension history and study it there.
physics should at least be half maths, but no, they had to change it to fit those ppl that can';t do maths...

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
this complaint has been going on for 4 years. but in the end, it doesnt really matter. yes when we were doing it, we may be pissed off but its just another subject on your way to get into the uni course you wanted - do dot point summaries write miniessays, just because its not real physics doesnt mean you cant get a band 6 or a good uai, which in the end is only useful in letting you into the course you want to do in uni.

you wont care after this year anyway. if you like science and wants to do it in uni, they'll start from scratch, and if you are really really interested , you'll read up on physics on your own anway. just because its not in the hsc doesnt mean you cant learn about it. you wont be in the 1st year of uni going "bloody board of studies... why did they have only 2 calculation question in the final exam...."

although imo, using the excuse that a fair amount of written response must be included so that ppl with a lower level of maths may not b disadvantaged is.... put it this way, why not have an essay question in 4unit maths for those who arent good at maths? why not have some number crunching or picture drawing in english extension for those who arent quite good at english? why not let history students talk about todays events because conjectures about the past is to taxing for a few people? if a subject isnt for a particular person - we all have subject areas that we don't like - don't pick them for the hsc. it's not as if it is yr 7 or yr 8 where all the classes are mandatory.
are you even doing physics at uni?

Boo_

HSC
lum said:
yeah, it's pretty bs how the stupid course is just about memorising stuff. i mean, if ur so interested in the history, then do extension history and study it there.
physics should at least be half maths, but no, they had to change it to fit those ppl that can';t do maths...
thatz true, like im better at math then writing all this stuff, yet they got rid of some math to make it easy for ppl who cant do the math...how bout they remove some of the writting components so itz eaiser for ppl who cant write that well???

Stan..

HSC
I am getting tired of this thread remerging whenever someone needs a reason not to study for Physics. Whoever Said that HSC Physics has been mutilated is correct, It has. If you want to do higher Physics Do it At Uni, Just Quit Complaining. But to answer your question, Because some Know it all at the BOS decided to make it Physics in Society so Girls can do it. (Sexist I know)

FinalFantasy

HSC
Stan.. said:
I am getting tired of this thread remerging whenever someone needs a reason not to study for Physics. Whoever Said that HSC Physics has been mutilated is correct, It has. If you want to do higher Physics Do it At Uni, Just Quit Complaining. But to answer your question, Because some Know it all at the BOS decided to make it Physics in Society so Girls can do it. (Sexist I know)
as i said to some other person before, the thread starter or most of us aren't "complaining" about it, we are just talkin about it, and most or all of us probably aren't finding "a reason not to study for Physics."...

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
yeh phys is easier nowz...thats what many ppls say...however i wouldnt know because i have only being doing phys since 2004...

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Stan.. said:
But to answer your question, Because some Know it all at the BOS decided to make it Physics in Society so Girls can do it. (Sexist I know)
that is the stupidest reason as to why they made physics easier
grow up please

Boo_

HSC
Li0n said:
grow up please
i agree, y would the change it on the basis of gender??? stupidity or immaturity???

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
The Physics course was developed to prepare students for uni physics. It is a good stepping stone to uni physics. I am doing advanced physics at uni, the maths in it, although there is more of it, is not necessarily extremely difficult(and probably wont be until later). Basic 2 unit maths would be more than enough so far in the course, much of the harder maths you need in advanced physics is learnt in conjuction with math courses that you learn at the same time. The maths most people imaging physics having is the maths done in latter years which, if added into the HSC, would be way beyond most people's ability. But, like I said earlier, HSC is not to teach students the maths that can be easily taught within one lesson at uni, but rather learn the concepts required, that take much longer to grasp and understand.

.: HSC Physics is good the way it is

lfc_reds2003

i wanna do sthing science-based at uni but am totally stuck...

what does advanced physics lead to.. jobwise

and where is it and wat sort of Uai is necessary

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
aural_sax05 said:

I couldnt really answer what jobs it would bring as im not doing physics as a degree but rather an elective. Research would be the obvious answer, but a number of things involve physics eg. developing various parts of computers

As for what is required to enter it, I can only speak for USYD. It depends on whether you want to do it at a normal or advanced level. Normal level would require previous physics knowledge and a decent mark in the HSC. Advanced would require band 6 in HSC and atleast a UAI that is required to do an advanced science degree.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Doing a science degree could lead to many things.

What Ziggy Switskowski CEO of telstra did an Astrophysics Degree.
Also there's further research
employment in your speciality

Other people go on to do things other than science.

Stan..

HSC
Li0n said:
grow up please
I am not joking, That was the reason given. Girls wanted more essays or something, Please don't quote me on it, That is the story that has been relayed to me everytime I question HSC Physics.

Stan..

HSC
aural_sax05 said:

Well, In a Nutshell. Whatever you want to do in Science or Engineering there is a Part Physists Play in it. Physics is the keystone of Engineering, And There are stories of a number of Physics Graduates making big money through Risk Assesment. Honestly Advanced Physics Is difficult, It takes a lot of work to get to a reasonable level and understanding of the First Year Curriculum. But as in any Subject, If you work you will suceed.

UAI is contained in the Advanced Science UAI. But if you haven't had a strong extra-curricular background in physics you will find the transition very difficult in the first year. But if that is your thing, then go for your life.

Last edited:

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Stan.. said:
I am not joking, That was the reason given. Girls wanted more essays or something, Please don't quote me on it, That is the story that has been relayed to me everytime I question HSC Physics.
You are a stupid kid
Girls are just as capable of doing the 'other' physics just as much as boys are.

And what acmilan said is true, though i think that they should make year 11 physics be taught in year 10, and year 12 physics be taught in year 11, and then have a more compliciated english based phys in year 12 or something :p.

And im thinking that half you people who are opting for physics to be mathsified will fail it anyway, no offence or anything. It's just that you all remind me of those useless nerds at school who bitch at how easy a subject is then when it gets to the test you get 20% and then claim that "the test was too easy to study for so i didnt".

It makes me sigh at life really...

Boo_

HSC
Li0n said:
You are a stupid kid
Girls are just as capable of doing the 'other' physics just as much as boys are.

And what acmilan said is true, though i think that they should make year 11 physics be taught in year 10, and year 12 physics be taught in year 11, and then have a more compliciated english based phys in year 12 or something :p.
everyone is capable, aslong as they push themselves to succeed.
yeah, if they just concentrated on the english based stuff in yr12, it would make it eaiser for everone, as u wouldn't be learning the concepts as you're being pushed to write good english basded responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)