Piano (2 Viewers)

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
Phanatical said:
Rem Urasin SO deserved to win.
he did deserve to win.. only up to the finals though... his final concerto was really bad.. john played his concerto much better than rem played his.. so i guess thats how rem came second!

and also.. the jury said they were there this year to support young pianists.. and rem is like 28 and john's 18. so i guess thats maybe why..? comps r tough eh? lol

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Bah! I saw both the Chen and Urasin final performances, and Rem's performance was so much better than the Chen performance.

28 is still young. 18 is TOO young.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
the best guy never wins major competitions lol... it's happened to pretty much every international competition... even the sydney one 4 years ago in 2000.. everyone thought that uehara would win but marina did..

but compared to the past competitions, this year's standard was way too low... i dont think john would've made it past the quarter finals 4 years ago... sooo in a way.. he didnt really deserve to win one of the 'toughest' competitions in the world...

lucky guy he was...

hmmmm but i was just curious... not sure if anyone would remember this.. but who do you think was the 'worst' out of the 36?? lol just interested to know..?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Thanks to my own uni commitments, I wasn't really listening too much to the earliest performances - though I was backstage at the Seymour for one of them. Can't remember who played though.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
rightioooo den!

oooh mad... u were backstage? niceeee! must've been fun?? was it during a night one or daytime one???

Josephine

HSC
I so can't remember all the performances, it was kinda long ago... lol. Me and my bad memory. But I reckon Rem should've won, like everyone's said, and the Japanese girl from 2000. It's funny how the person who gets the People's Choice Award usually comes 2nd. Hmm, I wonder if it's rigged? :p

I want to be a volunteer for the 2008 competition, and get to go backstage and help out and meet everyone, that would be so cool :)

HSC
moon_styla said:
hmmmm but i was just curious... not sure if anyone would remember this.. but who do you think was the 'worst' out of the 36?? lol just interested to know..?
Definately James Jae-Won Moon. Worst competitor ever :mad: .

hehe just joking.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
moon_styla said:
rightioooo den!

oooh mad... u were backstage? niceeee! must've been fun?? was it during a night one or daytime one???
I was in the SUESS lab in the afternoon, trying to get some tech stuff for our own concert. I could have gone to see the concert itself, but I was a bit busy, so I just listened while walking around the insides of the Seymour.

I was sort of hoping they'd do some of the competition in the Verbrugghen Hall, like they used to in the past, but I suppose the Seymour suits their purposes better.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
untying_average said:
Definately James Jae-Won Moon. Worst competitor ever :mad: .

hehe just joking.
lol!!!! yeh i must agree....! oh man.. :p

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
omg, SIPCA! I got all hyped up about it last year...

Yeah, I actually thought Rem was a better player, but my dad was raving on and on about how John seemed more talented. I guess he's probably more natural, but he didn't appeal to me that much. And yes, Rem Urasin kinda didn't do his last concerto too well. I admit John did a very good job...but meh...

From experience though, as my 70-year-old piano teacher says, the best person never wins SIPCA...the best person is normally People's Choice prize. Probably it's rigged, but nobody can prove it, so I'm just going to pretend to live in oblivion.

I only watched one of the Round II councerts...the rest I sort of tuned into on the ABC radio.

BTW, **refers to first post** I'm Lillo...I'm sixteen, started thrashing around on the piano when I was two (or eleven months if you believe my dad's photos), got my first formal lesson aged six and a half, finished 8th grade last year and am sort of floating around between 8th grade and an AMus. Right now I'm working on some AMus pieces, but my favourite thing to do is just to muck around and compose my own pop-style pieces with lyrics to go with, and I like singing along (though my voice isn't really powerful enough).

Before you say it, yes, I know, I sound like another Delta Goodrem wannabe, but get me straight, I'm not fanatical about her. In fact when I saw her in one of her clips some time ago I thought her technique was crap, but that could've been just the camera angle.

Josephine

HSC
Stella8h8chang: Hey! I'm yukikumiko from LJ - I'm a friend of Mina's. I didn't know you went to PLC, do you know a girl called Joanne Kang?

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
Josephine said:
Stella8h8chang: Hey! I'm yukikumiko from LJ - I'm a friend of Mina's. I didn't know you went to PLC, do you know a girl called Joanne Kang?
Yes! I know Joanne Kang! She's brilliant! Once we both got the part of playing piano for middle school strings...Mrs Colbey takes no chances in case somebody is sick...haha, she made me look awful :p but meh, she's really sweet, not pompous or anything at all compared to some people I know **groans**

HSC
I started playing when I was 7 so thats...10 years, and I'm currently learning my AMUS pieces, but Im doing the exam next year. Im doing

Beethoven Sonata in C Minor (I think ._.) and theres a no 10 there somewhere
Berceuse - Chopin
Passipied - Debussy
Courante and Gigue - Handel

I'm also learning The Girl with the Flaxen Hair(Debussy) and Gymnopedie(Satie) by myself. But I really want to learn clair de lune...i love it so much ;_;

wizard146

HSC
Hi fellow piano people!
I started when I was 7 too, so thats 10 years. I'm only doing 8th grade this year tho (failed the 8th grade exam last year! Horrible AMEB examiners!) :(
For HSC Music 1 I'm playing:
part of a Mozart Sonata (K284? something like that)
Prelude 1 by Gershwin
both 7th grade!
And doing composition and musicology as well.
8th grade pieces are a Lizst Consolation, Sweet Georgia Brown, a Mozart Fantasia. Its only Piano for Leisure tho- but all my other piano exams have been real piano :lol:

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
I started when I was nine, so I'm about 8th grade now... for extension music I'm playing all my pieces on the cello, so my only hsc piece this year that will be on the piano is for the core Australian performance. I'm doing a Miriam Hyde piece, Evening in Cordoba. It has castinets in it. :) It's kinda good and bad not doing piano for extension, cos I don't spend half as much time on the piano as I used to, but when I do, it's just bumming around and playing for fun.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
ive been playing piano for nearly ten years.... started out with a teacher who made me do GUILD piano exams, did up to grade two and then changed teachers.. im now playing some 7th grade pieces....

my repertoire for the hsc includes:
- sonata in E (last movement) Joseph Haydn
- XI (con vivacita) of visions and fugitives - Sergei Profokfiev
- Girl With Flaxen Hair - Claude Debussy
- a viva

pristine

HSC
<B>morning glory</B>: girl anachronism! as in the dresden dolls!?! :O
lol i'm playing a profokfiev song too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)