• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Plagiarism (1 Viewer)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Riviet said:
If you are caught plagiarising, the consequences are very severe, and most schools will probably penalise the student by giving him/her zero for that assignment.
that's very true riviet, which is why you must make sure that it isnt technically plaigarising, i mean, who in the world could guess you used the same layout on purpose?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Speeches especially for the HSC (at my school) have to be handed in before they are presented so the teacher knows you have completed it on time and to check for plagiarism.

As the years of education go by the consequences and plenties for plagiarism get more and more serve, small instances loss of marks but in most case if found to have plagiarised an assessment zero mark awarded and even course failure at higher education levels i.e. University, Tafe.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
Speeches especially for the HSC (at my school) have to be handed in before they are presented so the teacher knows you have completed it on time and to check for plagiarism.

As the years of education go by the consequences and plenties for plagiarism get more and more serve, small instances loss of marks but in most case if found to have plagiarised an assessment zero mark awarded and even course failure at higher education levels i.e. University, Tafe.
I agree. If you choose to plagiarise, you are definitely playing with fire. The consequences, especially at this point, are very, very harsh and can have a severe impact on your HSC results.

I_F

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Of course, never plagiarise...!!!

I think it's very stupid to do so.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hmmmm...

i'm not sure if my question's really answered...

so according to Cem, i CAN use it if i say that i have based my layout on someone else's.... but then again... they are testing how well i can actually make a business report...

basing it on someone else's may be considered as cheatingl.......

in a dilemma ><
Cem, if you were markin an assignment like mine. and i had based a layout on someone else's but have given full reference to the person i based it off, would u take ne marks off me? looking at the marking criteria .....

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
insert-username said:
Your teachers do not equal all teachers in state.

By using someone else's layout, you are plagiarising under this point. Part of Business Studies assessments tests whether you can present the information you gather in the correct style, and using someone else's layout would be considered plagiarism. You can use the layout as an example for your own, but you would have to put your own together. That's my take.

I_F
hmm .. so ur saying that i can base it off the other person's layout, but i input my own headings etc?

oh and btw, the headings that i currently have are similar to the ones from the person's headings BUT ... but the headings were taken from business studies text books and i just put them in chronological order...

the headings were from a photocopied sheet that my business studies teacher had given me.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
shinji / d3sp said:
hmm .. so ur saying that i can base it off the other person's layout, but i input my own headings etc?

oh and btw, the headings that i currently have are similar to the ones from the person's headings BUT ... but the headings were taken from business studies text books and i just put them in chronological order...

the headings were from a photocopied sheet that my business studies teacher had given me.
Yes, you can base it off the other person's layout, but try to add your own touches to make it unique.

I_F

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
insert-username said:
Yes, you can base it off the other person's layout, but try to add your own touches to make it unique.

I_F
thanks !
that i shall do :)

thanks for your help everyone ^^ esp. Insert Username, Cem, Scotty_G & YBK

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Thanks!

Teacher really expects me to do well in this assignment though .. haha

btw wats with "I_F" ?? o_O

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
shinji / d3sp said:
hmmmm...

i'm not sure if my question's really answered...

so according to Cem, i CAN use it if i say that i have based my layout on someone else's.... but then again... they are testing how well i can actually make a business report...

basing it on someone else's may be considered as cheatingl.......

in a dilemma ><
Cem, if you were markin an assignment like mine. and i had based a layout on someone else's but have given full reference to the person i based it off, would u take ne marks off me? looking at the marking criteria .....

If you have fully acknowledged where you got it from NO I wouldn't penalise but if you didn't acknowledge it yes I would.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
shinji / d3sp said:
btw wats with "I_F" ?? o_O
Force of habit more than anything. A few years ago on a different board, I started tagging my posts with "I_F" because my username had the initials I.F. It stuck. :p

I_F

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
insert-username said:
Force of habit more than anything. A few years ago on a different board, I started tagging my posts with "I_F" because my username had the initials I.F. It stuck. :p

I_F
hahah k.
cya 'round .. I_F! :p

and thanks Cem. thanks for your help ;D

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
YBK said:
Of course, never plagiarise...!!!

I think it's very stupid to do so.
Agreed. You dont gain anything personally for it.
The works not yours.
The mark isnt yours.
You don't end up learning anything?!

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
luscious-llama said:
Agreed. You dont gain anything personally for it.
The works not yours.
The mark isnt yours.
You don't end up learning anything?!
well, i wasn't GOING to plagiarise ...

i wasn't sure if wat i was doing would be classed as plagiarism.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The one after-effect that I've heard from plagiarising is "guilt".

It's good that you asked to make sure, before actually acting. ;)

M.I.A-187

HSC
shinji / d3sp said:
Hey. i'm a bit confused on plagiarism.

say your doing an assignment, which requires a report format to answer 3 questions.

can you copy a layout from a resource of bored of studies submitted by a student but just the layout. the information and the data inside the report is made up by yourself.

just don't wanna screw up my assignment.

The layout yes but make sure the content are non-similar course some teachers do (like one dude in me school learned it the hard way) That they read the site sometimes (and i want to ask WHAT FOR :( )

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
shinji / d3sp said:

Acknowledge the creator of the layout.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
shinji / d3sp said:

Yeah, it's always safe to reference if you're unsure whether it's plagiarising or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)