Play sport in Year 12? (1 Viewer)

zhogan42

HSC
Hey guys,
I'm trying to decide whether it would be a good idea to play a sport (soccer) in year 12. It would start in March and go for around 16 weeks. Including travel, preperation and actual game time it would take 3-4 hours on a Saturday afternoon. Is this a good idea to do and get exercise or would it be more beneficial if I used this time to do homework and study?

deathdude222

HSC
I played a sport for the NSW national team and still managed to get my work done with a fairly good ATAR, even though I flew all over the country. I think it's a good idea.

Examine

same
HSC
Mate, I don't think there is a need to fully cancel out sport. It can be used for leisure and to drift away from studying stress. There's no need to dedicate your whole Year 12 to studying.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It is a good idea to have an outlet - whether it is sport, an instrument, a job or a hobby but having an outlet allows you to simply veg out for awhile away from the books. It also gives you something to look forward to when the study becomes too much as you know that you have that time to do something totally different. It often gives you a sense of reward for a hard week's work as well - if you have worked hard all week you feel like you deserve a reward and the activity becomes that but it also works the other way to - as an incentive to work because you know those hours are unavailable.

Peeik

HSC
If you drop sport then you are an idiot. Some of the people who score 99 ATARs have alot of extra curricular activities under their belt. It's just about managing your time for everything.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Also not everything is about your atar. Playing interstate/national competetively is really good on your CV and distinguishes you from general nerds with nothing but academics.

And again, heaps of time to catch up provided you manage your time wisely and plan ahead.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
Play sport.
Sport will give you the chance to get out and exercise as well as a chance for some stress relief.
It will also vary your daily routine and give you a break from monotonous study which will in turn help keep you focused in your studies.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Play the sport, it will be beneficial to your learning as using all your time on study, eat, sleep will not be efficient as your mind needs it's time to process all of the data that you bring in - sleep isn't enough in my opinion.

loaves

HSC
Play the sport... TBH you probs won't use that 4 hours studying anyway so you may as well get some exercise.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
It is a good idea to have an outlet - whether it is sport, an instrument, a job or a hobby but having an outlet allows you to simply veg out for awhile away from the books. It also gives you something to look forward to when the study becomes too much as you know that you have that time to do something totally different. It often gives you a sense of reward for a hard week's work as well - if you have worked hard all week you feel like you deserve a reward and the activity becomes that but it also works the other way to - as an incentive to work because you know those hours are unavailable.
This.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
Definitely play! You need to have fun and have a life outside HSC. You really don't need to do too much work in HSC until the lead up to the trials. Sport is good to release stress and improve mental performance and sleep so as long as you're organised you'll be fine!

jenslekman

HSC
Definitely play sporT! im playing squash next year with my best buddy :) going to take off some hsc stress and stuff

jenslekman

HSC
Since you're a short Asian, why not do basketball?
basketball is not my thing ... you see id rather play squash with my best buddy then get dunked on by some 7 foot guy in sydney boys :)

MAYBE i will try play table tennis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)