Please help: Music viva voce question for disney's mulan (1 Viewer)

Matin

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm doing a Viva for Music and it's supposed to be for the topic Film, Radio & TV so I thought I should do one for Disney's 'Mulan'.

My teacher said if I did Mulan I had to do the musical score (as opposed to the songs the characters sing) and that I have to pick a musical concept to base it off.

Any ideas?

I'm stuck and I'd really appreciate the help!

madharris

HSC
N/A
Do tone colour, it's the one that you can say the most about. Everything basically affects tone colour except for structure :)

Here I wrote this a little while ago
http://community.boredofstudies.org/36/music/302297/help-prelim-music.html

I never had to do a viva because I did music 2, however you will have a lot of content if you talk about how all the concepts individually and as a group affect the tone colour of the piece.

If you can find a score online (not sure if you will be able to because of copyright issues and stuff but it's worth a try) then it will definitely make your viva preparation a lot easier!

Good luck :)

Matin

HSC
Do tone colour, it's the one that you can say the most about. Everything basically affects tone colour except for structure :)

Here I wrote this a little while ago
http://community.boredofstudies.org/36/music/302297/help-prelim-music.html

I never had to do a viva because I did music 2, however you will have a lot of content if you talk about how all the concepts individually and as a group affect the tone colour of the piece.

If you can find a score online (not sure if you will be able to because of copyright issues and stuff but it's worth a try) then it will definitely make your viva preparation a lot easier!

Good luck :)
Oh wow, thank you soooooo much you are absolutely incredible!

So like because it's a film should I do something along the lines of how Tone Colour affects the mood of the piece or...?

Yeah, I tried to find scores online but I could only find sheet music to the songs the characters sang so that was kind of a bummer :/

Anyways, thank you again for all of your help!

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
Oh wow, thank you soooooo much you are absolutely incredible!

So like because it's a film should I do something along the lines of how Tone Colour affects the mood of the piece or...?

Yeah, I tried to find scores online but I could only find sheet music to the songs the characters sang so that was kind of a bummer :/

Anyways, thank you again for all of your help!
Well I'm not sure how vivas really work whether they give you a question (like an essay) or if they'll ask a series of questions) but it might be good if you make your own question (just so you have a point to the things that youre saying). So if you want your question to be how it affects the mood then sure, do that :)

I'm assuming that youre allowed to give a little bit of context to the film.
E.g. The higher register of the brass and the strings as well as the accented clashing harmonies creates a scratchy or shrieking sound that creates building tension between Mulan and ___ in this particular part of the film.

So something like that. Mind you, again I didn't have to do a viva so I'm not sure if something like that would be correct but I don't see why it wouldn't be

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Matin

HSC
Well I'm not sure how vivas relay work whether they give you a question (like an essay) or if they'll ask a series of questions) but it might be good if you make your own question (just so you have a point to the things that youre saying). So if you want your question to be how it affects the mood then sure, do that :)

I'm assuming that youre allowed to give a little bit of context to the film.
E.g. The higher register of the brass and the strings as well as the accented clashing harmonies creates a scratchy or shrieking sound that creates building tension between Mulan and ___ in this particular part of the film.

So something like that. Mind you, again I didn't have to do a viva so I'm not sure if something like that would be correct but I don't see why it wouldn't be

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk
Oh for Viva's the examiner just asks you a series of questions based on what you've done - they can't ask you random stuff so that's heaps good haha.

That seems logical to be able to link it back to the movie considering the topic it's based on is "Film, Radio & TV" so yeah, I'm pretty sure you'd be right :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)