Please share your wise knowledge EE2 '08ers! (1 Viewer)

Zippora

HSC
hmm..

If you had too write a short story in year 11 and liked it then do that

I had 4000 words done in year 11 for a short story assessment we had and then decided i would drop ext 2 after a few weeks in year 12 but never handed in an official form. 2 weeks before it was due my teacher told me i should finish it as i had nothing to lose. so i wrote 2000 words in two weeks, did a little editing and handed it in just like every other sucker im my class who had been wasting their time working at it allll year. It doesnt take that much effort. the markers arent going to see the tears and the late nights all they see is what you manage to get on the paper so i think everyone should just get over it.

sarahaussiegirl

HSC
hey, um, I am doing thirteen units, but surprisingly I am quite prepared for 4U, already written heaps, planning the structure and stuff. Should I aim to have 4U in my top 10 units? Cuz maths sucks so that will not be included, but how do you balance everything? Cuz I really like my story hence i want to do it all the time.

Help!

snowconesyum

HSC
it's way too early to be deciding which of ur units will count yet! try equally in all of them for a few terms and then if there's a few which are really letting u down then focus on the others more... but yeah, just work hard at all of them for now, then the whole 13 units will be excellent and u'll have the very best to count for your 10 units :)

if you're feeling that passionate about ee2 at the moment, use that motivation to get ahead now, while you're all fired up about it... especially in the christmas hols :) hope it goes well :)

Debbo

HSC
I topped Ext 2 English at North Sydney Girls, and here are my words of advice :)

1. CONSISTENCY - Never underestimate the significance of putting in an 30 mins of effort a day - It WILL help you in the longrun, whether its editing or process journl.

2. USE THE TEACHERS - Dont be afriad to ask them things you dont understand. They're very wise and knowledgable and know what the students are going through.

3. PASSION - Make your that your major work gives YOU a voice. That you have something to say and your MW says it. This is very clear to the markers when a student believes in their work.

4. LET DOWN YOUR DEFENCES - Be open to criticism and judgement. Yes, your MW will be your baby but in order for your baby to grow it needs to experience the world. Even if youre "embarrased" to show people your MW, just do it. Ultimately, getting the most criticism and feedback will help improve your MW.

5. ENJOY - the EE2 is so special and different to other courses. You are given a lot of freedom so enjoy the ride, it's fantastic and fun as long as you embrace it. But dnotn underestimate hte levl of work you put in. DO NOT consider this a bludge subject. You can take this course as far as you want to.

Assessments
- Proposal: The markers want to se CLARITY, DIRECTION, DETAIL and POTENTIAL
- Vive Voce: Dont get too strung up about it! It's not a formal speech, it's supposed to be done in a relaxed environment so be relaxed. Try and crack a joke with your teachers as soon as you enter the room, it will make both you and them more comfortable! CLARITY is very important in terms of what you say and how you say it.
- Report - DETAIL, CLARITY, and INSIGHT - It is SO important that you show your higher order thinking and reflection skills here, even more so than the others.

GOODLUCK! ENJOY! EE2 is a very worthwhile experience and if you stick with it and give it your all, what you gain from it can be very valuable!

Take Care,

Deb xox

MadamGuilia

HSC
Keep at it, don't think too hard about it, know what you want to do and try to do it very early.. keep writing in that journal, research lots and account for it all.. can't help you much more as my ext2 experience wasn't as wise as it can be!

accio.brain

HSC
To all the people above with good advice, THANK YOU! like you have no idea.

ucon

HSC
i cannot stress this enough.. START EARLY. seriously you all shouldnt be reading this.. lol nah jks.

getting ur first draft done is probably the most tedious. and from there its just re-working bits and pieces- SO much easier. oh yeah dont get ur first draft done by july- those were stressful times haha

last year our class received a schedule for ext2'ers and an outline for what was needed in the viva voce, report, proposal and reflection- think about it ahead. i mean even if u do shit internally if u have a really good major work it should have a limited effect on ur mark (the board scales the internal mark).

don't worry about the journal too much- i mean unless u have some weird voodoo story going on there. just update it consistently but dont get too worked up about it. (just make fake entries towards the end- lol everyone does that). BUT print out all ur research from the net, photocopies of books, dvd covers, etc into the journal- it will fill ur journal nicely and it will demonstrate to markers that u extensively researched ur MW.

teachers are great and all but dont rely on them too much towards assessment times/deadlines or the actual EE2 major work deadlines. they get incredibly bogged down by 8000 MW's to read and they usually end up skimming it- it differs for every school but teachers cannot mark 10, 8000 word stories plus reflection statements in one night.

the best thing i advise u is to hand ur first draft when its quiet- aka no assessments or deadlines or other shit- THEN ur teacher can really pinpoint the mistakes and help you.

towards the end you should probably circle ur MW to the english teachers- seriously they enjoy reading them! and plus the more feedback the better (but dont go and change every single thing a teacher suggests- remember its subjective!)

i also suggest on a schedule- BUT a realistic one. theres no point of having an ambitious one- u'll just get depressed.

research broadly- every book/article/newspaper/dvd/movie/documentary, etc etc that you see can help you in some way- and if it doesnt then at least u wont regret it.

oh yeah one last thing, if u find EE2 just too much and that it takes wayyy too much time from ur other subjects then i suggest dropping it- theres no poiint of having one 50/50 MW with band 3's in everything else. but timing is everything when u want to drop it so think wisely- BUT i hope that no one drops this coz its really fulfilling to have a story on ur lap at the end.

good luck folks and if u need advice ill give u my email so lemme noe..

xxxx

adamjamessac

HSC
Hi hi
My name's Adam and I did the extension 2 course in 2008, topping it in the state. I wrote a short story...so for anyone not doing it because it's too 'mainstream' just do it!!!
Am willing to tutor anyone who's interest. Private message me for contact details.
Adam

abbey91

Boarder from waggga wagga, living in glebe, sydney
HSC
so i guess what this is saying is that i'm stuffed?- i had an idea...was working on it for ages- it wasnt really working for me.....i restarted last week... (half way through yr 12) but i like the idea a lot more. i figured that i always enjoy texts more when i fully understand them ( and i like to be taught)..so i decided to branch off from our ext 1 course and take it to a greater depth...this is much easier than the performance poetry i was previouly attempting to write!- i guess it comes back to writing about what you know! ....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)