Polygamous marriages should be recognised: sheikh (1 Viewer)

HSC
i can't believe no one has posted reasons for why it shouldn't be legalised..

scientific reason - reduced genetic diversity. probably more relevant when it comes to crops and stuff, but i'm sure someone intelligent could think of some ramifications of this

possible problems with adults in both polyandry and polygyny - issues of jealousy/favouritism (which, face it, is inevitable), violence related to possessiveness, abuse of power, less time able to be spent with each wife/husband, higher potential for conflict, objectification of partners as status symbols

possible problems for children - jealousy/favouritism, dominant wives/husbands abusing children of other wives/husbands, less time spent with children as there are more (in polygyny), social problems - i.e. bullying, because legalised doesn't necessarily mean accepted by society (which is why i believe it would never happen anyway)

scenario one - polygyny. a good birth rate is 2 children per couple. say a man has three wives who all have that many children, that's six children. that's four people working to support ten people, assuming no one stays home to look after the kids (if one does, that's three people supporting ten. by adding another factor to this, i.e. two wives get pregnant at the same time and can't work, the situation only gets worse). this = lower living standards. in this particular situation i assume they would need some kind of welfare. legalise polygamy and you can multiply this, think about potential costs for taxpayers.

tl;dr version: social costs (lower living standards), economic costs (financial strain on family, more welfare = taxpayers foot the bill for the lifestyles of others [to a greater extent than they do already]), not to mention personal costs (stress associated with providing for a family with more people to support than are working, in addition to making all these relationships work peacefully etc)

scenario two - polygyny. one woman has children with the man and wants to get out of the relationship, but doesn't have a job. what are her options?

a. stay with the husband in an unhappy relationship.
b. move out and work to support the children, find someone to look after them etc, basically all the problems single mothers face, but with even less support from the father because he has other wives/children to support, and the stigma of having been involved in a polygamist relationship.

tl;dr version: less support for single mothers coming out of a polygamist relationship, once again personal and financial stress, as well as problems for the children that already exist in relationship breakdowns

scenario three - polygyny. one wife has a problem with another. as a result, she abuses the wife and any of her children, and manipulates her husband into paying her more attention than the other.

the reason i have provided more polygyny scenarios than polyandry ones is because if it were to happen, i see a dispropportionate amount of polygynists compared to polyandrists, because that's the way it is already. just doing a quick wiki search, i see many more cults related to polygyny than polyandry.

anyway, i can't really see benefits coming from the legalisation of polygamy, except for the placation of the muslim groups who think it should be legal.

Last edited:

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
hollieee said:
I think if you want polygamy and whatnot, go to countries where it's legal.
I think it's good that countries are all different. You go different places depending on what you're looking for, and perhaps you'll find lots of people you have things in common with =)
i completely agree. i think that if they want to participate in things like polygamy, then go to a country where it is accepted. Dont think that it is going to become legal over here.

I think that is polygamy was legal then there would be people having multiple marriages just so that they can have sex or so that they can have a mistress without having the wife having to be angry. How would you feel if you were the first wife. I think that i would feel completely inadequate.

Another one of the reasons i am against it is because i think that marriage should be between one man one women who love each other and want to spend the rest of there life together and are united as one, that means not multiple marriage.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
sam04u said:
banco55 is my aryan brother
fuck the shit cunt muslims and jews they can die in a well

we are the aryans we are the best
aryan is created by jesus just was aryan

fuck jews
fuck muslims
fuck chingchongs
fuck curries
fuck blacks
fuck spicks

white is the true race of man
Jesus was a Jew.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Hollieee said:
I think if you want polygamy and whatnot, go to countries where it's legal.
I think it's good that countries are all different. You go different places depending on what you're looking for, and perhaps you'll find lots of people you have things in common with =)
Well Australia is a free democracy. While I disagree with polygamy, I think the sheikh has a right to express his opinions and to say "well just go back to your own country" is insensitive and ignorant in my opinion.

Voltaire said:
"I do not agree with a word you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it"

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
inasero said:
Well Australia is a free democracy. While I disagree with polygamy, I think the sheikh has a right to express his opinions and to say "well just go back to your own country" is insensitive and ignorant in my opinion.
They came here though knowing that it is illegal.

I think it is important to note at this point that not all muslims want this actually very few do

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
emytaylor164 said:
They came here though knowing that it is illegal.

I think it is important to note at this point that not all muslims want this actually very few do
many things once illegal are now legal:)

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
*TRUE* said:
nor i
but i think people can talk if they want to.
oh i am not saying they cant i agree with u all i am saying is they came here knowing it is illegal and we consider it wrong they should respect that.

Charizard

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
oh i am not saying they cant i agree with u all i am saying is they came here knowing it is illegal and I consider it wrong they should respect that.

Don't make generalisations. Especially with the things YOU put forward.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Charizard said:
Don't make generalisations. Especially with the things YOU put forward.
you should not change my quotes people might think that i wrote that.

I think that if you took a poll of everyone in australia most people would be against it. I think saying that australian society does not support polygamy is a pretty fair generalisation.

Charizard

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
you should not change my quotes people might think that i wrote that.

I think that if you took a poll of everyone in australia most people would be against it. I think saying that australian society does not support polygamy is a pretty fair generalisation.
i bolded the bit i changed genius. The point was that you said we, as if you were speakin on others behalf which you're not.

Besides who cares what people think of you its the fucking internet.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
i dont care what people think of me if you have read any of my posts you will know that which i am assuming you dont, cos u are only a new member so welcome. I still think that what i said is a fair generalisation.

iamsamx

HSC
ari89 said:
Shit troll is shit.
right back at you jew boy.

ari89 said:
If only you could find fault with the facts as opposed to misquoting me and fitting me into your massive zionist conspiracy theory narrative?
FACT: before i even read the op's post i thought you would post in here. I knew this because the title had sheikh in it. guess what? i was right LOL.

ari89 said:
You are truly pathetic.
says the guy who went to UWS lmfao.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Yeah, now find what has been factually wrong with my posts please.

Other than being some crazed anti-semitic dumbfuck.

Ps. I'm not ashamed of myself like you so if I was a Jew the world would know.

Edit: You are aware that that post and its 'proof' merely has me saying I'm scared more of executions of apostates, homosexuals and adulterers than fairytales, right?

Last edited:

iamsamx

HSC
ari89 said:
Ps. I'm not ashamed of myself like you so if I was a Jew the world would know.
you should be, you went to UWS. Btw if you actually bothered to read my first posts you'd realise that i am athiest so was readily bashing religion in general, but then i came across you, a boser who seemed to have a personal vendetta against islam. Whilst i'm all for a little religion bashing you were just an annoying jewrat.

ari89 said:
Edit: You are aware that that post and its 'proof' merely has me saying I'm scared more of executions of apostates, homosexuals and adulterers than fairytales, right?
then you have nothing to worry about, other than your "proof" being a fake link.

Last edited:

iamsamx

HSC
Schroedinger said:
If only you were literate! Yeah mate, you're an atheist and I'm the fucking queen of sheba.
one spelling mistake! WOW! THAT MUST MEAN I BELIEVE IN A GOD! :eek: ! I think you need to take ari's dick outta your mouth :rolleyes:

Schroedinger said:
Please provide evidence that disproves or shows that link in a negative light,
I was refering to the "proof" he had in his sig before. And evidence?: i clicked on it and it led to a dead page. you needed me to tell you that sunshine?
it's not on his sig now anyway.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)