• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Post Election Thoughts Continued (1 Viewer)

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
I wonder what Labor will do when interest rates go up. They could just chuck a liberal party and blame Howard and his economic incompetance and win the next election, depsite the government having no direct control over rates set by the Reserve Bank. Ah well, they did it to us, might as well do it back.

It's depressing knowing that the only way to win an election in this country is to scare the population into submission over the state of the economy.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lmao
I don't think that will work.. because the rise in interest rates is only going to be marginal, as long as the government keeps down government spending.

Not like the type of interest rates that voters remember from labor.. no where near. If the economy keeps going well Liberals will definately get in, the interest rates wont go up enough to hand it to labor.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
I think if Latham goes for a good old fashioned mud slinging fight with the Coalition next time round, he'll do much better. That L plate thing with Liverpool council actually swayed people.. scary.

cattlefat

I think after 4 years, Latham will have had time to prove himself a leader and establish 'trust' or whatever within the Australian public. Because of Labor's crushing defeat, I think, and I hope, that it only makes them more determined.

Ps..why would interests rates go up under Labor anyway, what controls it?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It depends if Latham stays the same person he has been during the election.. no slip ups he should be fine.

I dunno tho, It seems although Australia is after extremists. They have their fairly conservative party the liberals, and it seems alot of the conservative votes are going there.

Maybe labor needs to be a little bit more extreme, ie. 'Get rid of all greedy private schools', i dunno. It just seems that in a time where a FAIRLY extremist party in terms of australian politics the greens have recieved such a high vote, and the very mid range party the democrats has recieved so few... perhaps there's a large portion of australia that wants an aggressive fairly extreme party?

Mr. Osama

Not-That-Bright said:
It depends if Latham stays the same person he has been during the election.. no slip ups he should be fine.

I dunno tho, It seems although Australia is after extremists. They have their fairly conservative party the liberals, and it seems alot of the conservative votes are going there.

Maybe labor needs to be a little bit more extreme, ie. 'Get rid of all greedy private schools', i dunno. It just seems that in a time where a FAIRLY extremist party in terms of australian politics the greens have recieved such a high vote, and the very mid range party the democrats has recieved so few... perhaps there's a large portion of australia that wants an aggressive fairly extreme party?
Yes i tend to agree with you somewhat... I have seen so many parliamentary sessions on ABC, and most of the time Labor does not seem aggressive enough- they need to really dish it up to the libs now. It's not going to be easy however with the senate majority being a strong possibility.

walrusbear

HSC
golfstick said:
democracy has spoken

don't assume that the majority are stupid just because they're the majority
but in this case, we can pretty much say that it's true

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
IS THERE SOMETHING ABOUT HAVING YOUR GUY WIN AN ELECTION THAT PERMANENTLY DEPRESSES YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY?

(just wondering.)

Jezzabelle

Family First

okies well i was intially depressed of liberal taking control of the upper house, as good bye public education, and hello hecs increase...
but they are counting on Family First Party voting their way, and the family first party policy on education says they want to increase FUNDING and REDUCE hecs and also support funding equity between private and public schools.. which are policies that Johnny howard doesnt agree with...
hmmm

lissa2085

In reply to the "as long as Latham doesn't make any slip ups" comment - you can be sure he will. 'A week's a long time in politics' - three years?? Haha, I'm surprised they haven't given him the boot already, but unfortunately for them they can't, since everyone else is in the party is even more inept than he is (with the possible exception of Beazley) Ah it's so refreshing to have my faith in the electorate reaffirmed. Finally the Democrats have been seen through for the left-wing, labor supporting political prostitutes that they are, and maybe for once, the government can actually get something done with their newfound control in the senate (haha). This is great! I wish you all a happy-whining for the next three years!

lissa2085

Oh and for those of you who made disparaging remarks about the coalition's 'L-plate' ads, i fail to understand how you can ignore Latham's amusing usage of a series of ill-placed metaphors and cliches - HAHA! - they're a classic! "The employment tree" (i mean, what the hell?) "The ladder of opportunity" and many more - i think it's those that truly reveal his 'l-plate' status, as he clearly doesnt know what he's talking about when he reverts to bullshit metaphors and cliches that really don't explain anything.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
FFS do you have any grips on Political history...another stupid liberal voter who cant event quote history correctly

Try looking up democrat history...the party that has most benefitted from their existence are the liberals :rolleyes: they were always closer to the liberals than labor...their leader was an ex liberal...their ethos is more right than left...the party that suffered most from the democrats was the Hawke labor government...without the support of the democrats the GST would not have existed?

Makes you look like an ignorant liberal drone...

anyways liberal control of the senate means

A majority (or at least family first on side) in the senate ensures John Howard can do whatever he wants...

The destruction of Medicare (continuation trend in the decrease in bull billing and therefore universal healthcare...healthcare becomes user pays...in a country as rich as ours this is insane - liberal voters dont like medicare and like paying 30 to 60 dollars a visit)

Reforming the unfairdismissal laws (ie there wont be any...good luck if you feel you have been unfairly sacked...dont expect a redundancy...)

Reforming of media laws (Packer will buy fairfax resulting the death of critical media...also the death of the ABC...again the loss of any critical journalism...one company will own all the media in the country...can anyone say monopoly?...liberals like the dumbing down of criticism)

Reforming of employer funded super (workers will not get super contributions from the employer)

Destruction of the unions and any notion of an equal industrial bargaining system (more AWA individual bargaining with the employer)

The Full sale of telstra (Good luck if you live in the country...20 mins wait on the phone for service instead of 10?)

Continual degregulation of the university education system (people dont seem to care that they got their education for free...)

Continued under funding of public schools (liberal voters dont seem to care about this...they can borrow the money at low interest rates to pay for private schools...cos youi know they are SO MUCH BETTER)

Continued disregard for human rights (liberal voters dont seem to care about this)
Democracy is all about mob rule...

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
well asq the majority in the senate says something

you're a complete knob asq and you are why i dislike the whole uni activist types (even if you are not one of them)

you are a narrow minded person who will never concede the desires of the population at large. you will always be a legend in your lunchbox and only your lunchbox

the election is over.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
golfstick said:

you're a complete knob asq and you are why i dislike the whole uni activist types (even if you are not one of them)

you are a narrow minded person who will never concede the desires of the population at large. you will always be a legend in your lunchbox and only your lunchbox

the election is over.
But is the public actually aware of these policies or not? I'm going to wager NO. This is where the key difference is, at least Asqy is being CRITICAL and not just sitting back and letting someone slip their dick into his arse.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
golfstick said:

the election is over.
to the hell with diplomacy.
shut the hell up. Asquithian is a legend in my lunchbox as well, and that's all that matters.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Ziff said:
But is the public actually aware of these policies or not? I'm going to wager NO. This is where the key difference is, at least Asqy is being CRITICAL and not just sitting back and letting someone slip their dick into his arse.
The majority of voters have next to no-idea on politics. I think its great how on BOS we have some people like yourself Ziff and Asqy who actually have a great knowledge on politics. However one sided it may be :p

But my thoughts, I voted labor, I wasnt too fussed who got in because neither party would have changed my world greatly. But its over, so my interest in politcs is now last on my priotory list

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)