Post-Rock Thread (1 Viewer)

Arctopus

HSC
I know a lot of you like it, so here's the thread. General discussion and shit.

I recently bought Sigur Ros' Heima for my girlfriend and watched it with her... that shit was awesome.

Anyone else seen it? What'd you think?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Haven't seen it. Though I've heard a lot of their stuff. I think Sigur Ros are one of those names that get thrown about a lot be those who are trying to sound cool. Most of them barely know anything post-rock beyond that, and possibly 'Explosions In The Sky'.

I've been really into post for about 2-3 years now. I loved the different soundscapes that could be created, and the images and thoughts they provoked.

Now on to bands:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Amazing lengthy soundscapes. In particular, the albums F♯A♯∞ and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Red Sparowes: Probably my favourite post-rock band. Favourite album is Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun. Followed by; At the Soundless Dawn

A Silver Mt. Zion: No specific album, but overall a consistant band with a great sound.

God Is An Astronaut:: Same as above

Do Make Say Think: I've only got a few of their tracks, but they're some of my favourites. Been meaning to get around to getting more.

Russian Circles: Another really strong band. The tracks really seem to flow seemless on the albums, in particular Enter.

Slint: Crosses over with Math Rock. Still, one of the early post rock influencers. Spiderland is consistently listed as a great post-rock album.

Stereolab: A large number of albums, so no real definable favourite yet. I haven't got nearly enough of their stuff.

65daysofstatic: One of the first Post-Rock bands I heard. They have a interesting sound, though probably not as good as the ones I've listed above.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Post-rock musicians are just Prog-rock musicians who aren't good enough to right more ideas into one song...

Joke... Godspeed You! Black Emperor are amazing... as are Sigur Ros... and most of the bands mentioned so far

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Haven't seen it. Though I've heard a lot of their stuff. I think Sigur Ros are one of those names that get thrown about a lot be those who are trying to sound cool. Most of them barely know anything post-rock beyond that, and possibly 'Explosions In The Sky'.

I've been really into post for about 2-3 years now. I loved the different soundscapes that could be created, and the images and thoughts they provoked.

Now on to bands:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Amazing lengthy soundscapes. In particular, the albums F♯A♯∞ and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Red Sparowes: Probably my favourite post-rock band. Favourite album is Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun. Followed by; At the Soundless Dawn

A Silver Mt. Zion: No specific album, but overall a consistant band with a great sound.

Do Make Say Think: I've only got a few of their tracks, but they're some of my favourites. Been meaning to get around to getting more.

Russian Circles: Another really strong band. The tracks really seem to flow seemless on the albums, in particular Enter.

Slint: Crosses over with Math Rock. Still, one of the early post rock influencers. Spiderland is consistently listed as a great post-rock album.

Stereolab: A large number of albums, so no real definable favourite yet. I haven't got nearly enough of their stuff.

65daysofstatic: One of the first Post-Rock bands I heard. They have a interesting sound, though probably not as good as the ones I've listed above.
Random question, but do you perchance listen to Porcupine Tree?

Arctopus

HSC

Now on to bands:

Yeah, Sigur Ros are thrown around a lot, but you can see why. Their sound is very approachable and they have both long, epics and short almost pop-like songs. That doesn't really invalidate them as a group, though. One of the hardest things to do within any post-genre is to find your own sound, I think. I mean, the whole genre is based on building textures and dynamics, so I think bands like Sigur Ros and GY!BE are to be congratulated in that they've found their own groove.

In reference to Slint, have you, or anyone else, heard Talk Talk? They started as a New Wave band, much like Taking Heads etc, but ended as proto-post-rock, which I guess is a double negative, but they did it nonetheless.

If interested, listen to their album Laughing Stock.

YouTube - Talk Talk - MYRRHMAN - 1991

YouTube - Talk Talk - ASCENSION DAY

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
That doesn't really invalidate them as a group, though
Definitely. I agree with this. I think they're great. I didn't bother going into detail though, because they are so well known.

In reference to Slint, have you, or anyone else, heard Talk Talk?
Yes. They were one of the many I didn't get around to mentioning.

Random question, but do you perchance listen to Porcupine Tree?
Yes. They're one of the better Progressive bands out there, in my opinion. I think they've got a great sound (both from when it was a solo project, and a band).

Arctopus

HSC
Definitely. I agree with this. I think they're great. I didn't bother going into detail though, because they are so well known.

Yes. They were one of the many I didn't get around to mentioning.
Ah, alrighty then.

saw mono live back in december, epic show was epic.
Man, I wanted to go to that show so bad, but I only found out until it was too late... and it was the Hymn to the Immortal Wind tour too!

tripyamine

HSC
Arrr godspeed your only cool if you know where to put the !

not exactly post rock, but built to spill can antagonise the same receptors in ones head.....

Listen to Built to spills cover of Neil youngs cortez the killer..... I JUST ATE A FUCKING GRAPE

Arctopus

HSC
Arrr godspeed your only cool if you know where to put the !

not exactly post rock, but built to spill can antagonise the same receptors in ones head.....

Listen to Built to spills cover of Neil youngs cortez the killer..... I JUST ATE A FUCKING GRAPE
Will only listen if you tell me what you've been smoking.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A

concerning god is an astronaut:

all is violent, all is bright > end of the beginning > far from refuge

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
Talk Talk is fucking amazing.

best shit ever: go for a walk in heavy rain while playing laughing stock...

then again most post-rock kinda bores me, just not something i can listen to all the time

tanna

HSC
Lots of love for Sigur Ros :) They deserve it, even though they're increasing in popularity - doesn't mean they're sound isn't absolutely amazing. For fans of Sigur Ros, perhaps Redhooker and Seven Saturdays would tickle your fancy?

Surprised Mogwai hasn't been mentioned - they're one of the 'biggies'.

Anyways, all in all, my favourite bands from the genre would be Ef and Lights Out Asia... er... pg.lost, July Skies, Eluvium... oh now I can't be bothered to list any more :p

boganxcore

HSC
i love post-rock but i dont listen to heaps of it, my favourite post-rock band is GY!BE but i also like a silver mount zion, explosions in the sky, you.may.die.in.the.desert and others.

im more into math rock but both genres are awesome!

also yea i have that talk talk album and it is really good

occer

HSC
N/A
Sigur and sleepsmakeswaves are amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)