Powerplay - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

bluephoenix36

HSC
I thought about Franz Kafka's novella, the Metamorphosis. So many different levels you could analyse the story at, and a brilliant central metaphor.

I was also thinking the other day about movies with twist endings. You could talk about the power a director yields over the viewer by manipulating them to believe something. Ususally characters in the movie face the same problem. It builds on the idea knowledge is power.

Some I can think of off the top of my head are two of M. Night Shyamalan's ones: The Sixth Sense and the Village. Don't want to spoil anything though, but you might be surprised.

The Skeleton Key wouldn't be too bad either. Nor would Hide and Seek or Secret Window. Pretty much any movie with an unexpected ending for the character(s) and/or the viewer.

Classic Gothic literature like Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and even Charlotte Bronte's Wuthering Heights aren't too bad either.

If you're into Anime a good film would be Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle. The Neon Genesis Evangelion series or films would be good to look at too because of technique. Then you've got cartoons like Dragon Ball/Z/GT - but these probably aren't, what's the word...begins with 's' and kind of like legitimate?

Lasting, applying different readings to texts, or examining it from different perspectives can open new possibilities. So get in there and analyse.

~*GeM!*~

HSC
Im doing a speech on Antony and Cleopatra and i need two supplementary texts.. i have a movie and i was going to do a cartoon but i cant seem to find any relevant ones.. does anyone know where i can find some good recent ones? thanx heaps!!or any other good ideas that would help?!?

lozwyldchyld

HSC
The movie "The Interview" with Hugo Weaving and Elizabeth Canton's speech and address to the suffrage assembly are really good

Miranda S

HSC
Dunno, I'm thinking bout using The Longest Yard or Walking Tall or even Mean Girls or something. Thing I'm worried about- does anyone have any thoughts- is do you think these lack depth? I don't wanna do anything too simple... :confused:
My teacher's given us 3 pieces of poetry. 3! So I'm looking to do something different!
Keep me posted?

Fetus Baby

HSC
I'm taking someone's suggestion of doing "The Eye of Power" by Michel Foucault, thanks so much for that by the way! But i do need notes on it so if anyone could please PM if they're willing to share their notes i'd greatly appreciate it, if you need notes of any kind I'd be happy to help you out, provided i have them.

xharlequingirlx

HSC
Im using the film 'Elizabeth' and a Nicholson political cartoon called 'King george bush adams' they are both pretty easy....Goodluck

Fifa06

HSC
hey can anyone help me im doing a speech and i hav 2 creat a poster relating 2 power play ne ideas wat i can put in a poster

HSC
i'm doing a speech on Antony and Cleopatra and i need 1 supplementary text. which do you think is easier to do, a film, cartoon, newspaper article etc? please leave any suggestions and also how to structure my speech.

thanx a bunch

Eeeee

HSC
~*GeM!*~ said:
Im doing a speech on Antony and Cleopatra and i need two supplementary texts.. i have a movie and i was going to do a cartoon but i cant seem to find any relevant ones.. does anyone know where i can find some good recent ones? thanx heaps!!or any other good ideas that would help?!?
For a cartoon leunig "lies" is a good one

MattBaker

HSC
I was thinking of doing Dr Strangelove, thoughts? Anybody who's done it or anyone else who could give some tips in relation to A&C?

fallen__angel

Nocturnal Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hey pplz, just wondering...how do I link the film 'V for Vendetta' with Antony and Cleo???
I have to do a speech on it this wednesday, and I have no freaking idea...T.T

JigSaw

HSC
OMG!! I hate this bloody module; I've got the others pretty much under wrap and key. Are you guys sure gender issues and feminist books are good? My prescribed text last year was Jane Eyre, so maybe I could use that?:worried:
I haven't the faintest idea what to do, I'm starting to panic!:bomb: Although I think Im going to do Fareniheit 9/11 as the first supp.

And all these suggestions?!! I really don't know much about Powerplay, I just looked at 'em and thought wtf? Lian Hearn's 'Across a Nightingale Floor' and Edward Zwicks 'The Last Samurai' are both texts I know very well, and Ive seen them mentioned here. Just going to have to go over the concept of powerplay and its mediums in order to make the connections, I guess. To those doin these texts, if you have any notes could you email them to me please?

firefly_fan01@hotmail.com

Last edited:

bjtrim2

HSC
I got my hands on a copy of the comic "300" by frank miller. That's working pretty well in terms of political powerplay

davidw89

HSC
Whats a good supplementary text with Antony and Cleopatra?

davidw89

HSC
I've decided to do Animal Farm/Elizabeth (the movie), if not both/one depending on the assignment..any suggestions?Is there any good materials that will help you understand powerplay better?

nicole21290

HSC
Um. At this stage we haven't started Antony & Cleopatra but I have looked at some texts to do with powerplay, namely, All The King's Men (movie, 1949) and The Mosquito Coast (novel). Would these work okay or should I be finding something better?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)