Predictions for Chemistry 2014 HSC? (5 Viewers)

IR

HSC
Mostly correct stuff but the setting out should be improved on. The question starts by asking about the differences in structure so that's what you should begin with.

Oxygen is a non-polar molecule with a linear structure, with one double O=O covalent bond.
Ozone is a polar molecule which gives it its bent structure. It contains a coordinate covalent bond (O=O-O you should draw the molecules).

Then it asks for two differences in their properties:

Ozone's higher molar mass (3 Oxygen molecules instead of 2), means it has increased dispersion forces acting on it which gives it higher boiling and melting points than Oxygen.
Since Ozone is polar, it also has strong dipole-dipole forces between molecules , which makes it more soluble in water (also a polar molecule) than oxygen which is non-polar.

Other properties you could include:
Ozone is more reactive and is a stronger oxidising agent, which is due to its unstable structure.
Ozone is more easily decomposed than oxygen which is very stable. This is also due to ozone's unstable structure.

Hope this helps :)
Someone please correct me if I made any mistakes.
No you are right. I should structure. Thanks.

HSC
im gonna fking dieee

5 exams in the space of 7 days

and yeah coz you do 4 unit, that's barely fair :((((((((
hahah that is not something I would like! You'll be fine!

The beauty of doing 4u maths, 2 other units are english leaving you with 4 more units (2 subjects).

All i have left is bio, chem and math exams hahahah :D

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
You'll be fine.
hahah that is not something I would like! You'll be fine!

The beauty of doing 4u maths, 2 other units are english leaving you with 4 more units (2 subjects).

All i have left is bio, chem and math exams hahahah :D
Thanks!! Ikr lol but then again, 2u maffs and business are barely subjects hahah!

I wish I did 10 units with 4u maths, my lyf would have been so much better.

Good luck with the rest of your exams! :D

Zadss

HSC
N/A
haha that 11 year old is gonna beat us all

is it true that a 75 raw mark scales you up to 90?

Last edited:

QZP

HSC
why do we use fume cupboard in bromine experiment?
not sure if because bromine toxic + release vapours or if cyclohexene/ane toxic + release vapours or both :/

HSC
not sure if because bromine toxic + release vapours or if cyclohexene/ane toxic + release vapours or both :/
All chemicals used in the experiment are toxic

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
cyclohexane/ene release toxic fumes

Reactions: QZP

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
what about bromine?
Yes the cyclohexene, cyclohexane and bromine water solution are all toxic if they were to be inhaled and may cause irritation/burns when coming in contact with the skin.

On top of that some fume cupboards are fitted so that there is no natural light as the presence of U.V. Light will constitute a substitution reaction

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)