Predictions for Extension 2 Maths (1 Viewer)

kimjuliana

HSC
Hey guys I'm doing Extension 2 Maths and was wondering what the HSC test could contain, topic-wise. According to my teacher it will probably be mainly Mechanics because the 2012 paper had no questions on that topic. If that's the case, then I am totally screwed as Mechanics is my weak point, even weaker than Harder Extension 1. *Sigh* So do you guys have any other predictions?

Thanks!

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say maybe like 2-3 questions on volumes (shells and slicing, maybe one m/c) and conics. They haven't asked much mechanics I've noticed, particularly circular motion in recent years. Question 16 is probably going to do be some harder MX1 maybe induction?

Web Addict

HSC
Hopefully, there's no probability questions. In all the papers I've done, I've never been able to get full marks on them.

ColdLipstick

HSC
I'm hoping for a Series/Induction/Polynomials in Q16 with less Mechanics.

I heard Mechanics is slowly making it's way out of the course so maybe even less Mechanics? (I hope that's true)

Web Addict

HSC
Perms and combs is my only hope:))))))))
Seeing that the Board of Studies asked about proability last year, they probably won't put it in as the last question.

I'm hoping for a Series/Induction/Polynomials in Q16 with less Mechanics.

I heard Mechanics is slowly making it's way out of the course so maybe even less Mechanics? (I hope that's true)
If true, this would be sad. I love Mechanics and I hope that there's more questions on it this year seeing that there was barely any last year.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I reckon an integration question is due in Q16. Polynomials to play a big part, not much on conics and a lot on volumes.

Do you reckon their gonna have much on graphs with this new format? There wasn't many marks on it last year.

braintic

HSC
N/A
According to my teacher it will probably be mainly Mechanics because the 2012 paper had no questions on that topic.
There was a one mark M/C question (Q7) and an 8 mark resisted motion question (Q13a).

Considering they are supposed to test 10% on each of the purely Ext 2 topics (and 30% on harder Ext 1) then you couldn't even argue that there was less Mechanics than expected, let alone that there was none.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
There was a one mark M/C question (Q7) and an 8 mark resisted motion question (Q13a).
I would argue that that 8 marker was more of a harder 3 unit question. There was no resistance acting on the object at all.

petermik

HSC
There will be definitely more mechanics and polynomials questions as the board of studies 4 u dude told me.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Does any1 remember the 2007 paper or something, there were 3 conics, so maybe they will chuck in each of the mechanics subtopics?

Mechanics is pretty easy, so I don't know people are complaining, free marks! Questions are all generic.

Last edited:

Makematics

HSC
Prediction: conics/polynomials/complex Q15 and integration/harder 3u for Q16.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Prediction: conics/polynomials/complex Q15 and integration/harder 3u for Q16.
I agree with your Q16, but I think Q15 will be conics/mechanics/circle geo with Q14 being polynomials/complex and perms/combs and volumes.

Makematics

HSC
I agree with your Q16, but I think Q15 will be conics/mechanics/circle geo with Q14 being polynomials/complex and perms/combs and volumes.
Hmm yeah, id like one of those questions that mixes trig with a bit of polynomials and series :) but if its in q14 it probs wont be too hard

integral95

HSC
nek minnut, carrot sticks actually wrote the HSC paper consisting of generalized questions

braintic

HSC
N/A
I would argue that that 8 marker was more of a harder 3 unit question. There was no resistance acting on the object at all.
There is no v(dv/dx) in 3 unit.
And there was resistance - its just wasn't mentioned - that is exactly the sort of equation you get when resistance is involved.
But granted - it was an extremely watered down question.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Are you sure there's no in 3U...?

Of course it arises in the proof, but it is not examinable. You will not find it in any past Ext 1 exams, and you'll be hard pressed to find any examples in Ext 1 textbooks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)