Prep for uni (1 Viewer)

HKspec009

HSC
Since i have recently finished school and not bothered to find a job, i thought that maybe i can somehow prepare for uni.
Is there anything i can do that will help me for uni??

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Honestly don't bother, enjoy your free time while you have it. I just finished my 4th year of uni, it gets old very quickly.

enoilgam

HSC
Honestly don't bother, enjoy your free time while you have it. I just finished my 4th year of uni, it gets old very quickly.
This is pretty much what I would do. Although if you really want to, you could read ahead a bit. Some people also study stuff which they need for their degree but haven't studied in High School.

halapenyo

HSC
enjoy your free time right now.

if you were really bored you could read up about anatomy etc (since im guessing you do med).

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of content - no. But for a general overview on university life and how to study for university (which requires different skill sets to high school), you can go to the library and find numerous guides on the topic and the transition from high school to college/university.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Go to coop-bookshop.com.au and do a textbook search. That's the best way to prepare for uni in terms of content.

HKspec009

HSC
Thanks for all the input.
I also wanted to ask if whether i should learn some things that i am currently reading on anatomy or just read over them and have a general idea. As in, should i memorise anything, or is there a uni version of a syllabus or rubric that i can follow?
and yes i am bored, and in an effort to fix this, i am doing something like this to make fun things enjoyable again :p

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of learning the material ahead of time, buy the relevant textbooks (CO-OP) and lecture notes if possible. Personally I wouldn't recommend doing this since the first semester material isn't going to be that difficult. If you want to do something productive, work on your essay writing, communication, scientific writing (important) and other generic skills. I can't stress this enough.

In any case here are the textbooks. You should be able to find a syllabus for human biology and chemistry online, this isn't going to be much help with the former since the entire damn thing is examinable.

Human Biology - Seeley's Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology
http://www.amazon.com/Seeleys-Essentials-Anatomy-Physiology-7th/dp/0077361385

Chemistry - "Chemistry", Blackman, Bottle, Schmid etc.
http://www.booktopia.com.au/chemistry-allan-blackman/prod9780470810866.html

Assuming you're doing normal math you should buy the book "A First Course in Linear Algebra" by David Easdown. As for differential calculus you'll have to wait until semester starts before the lecture notes go on sale. Your other option is to buy "Calculus" by James Stewart (CO-OP), it's an excellent resource and will help you through second semester math (and beyond).

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Buying the textbooks before your enrolled in the subject is crazy. You'll have no idea whether you'll even need or use it.

Capt Rifle

HSC
you have just complete 13 years of schooling, just relax, unwind and enjoy life man.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
There's always making sure the course you had in mind is the right course. Ask students/read what you will be learning.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And also textbooks tend to change often-ish depending on what subjects and who's taking them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)