Prestige or the course? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hmmm... I had the idea of "stuff prestige for now" as I actually wanted to do medical science. However, after talking about my future unis with family friends, it is almost impossible to ignore the factor of prestige. Furthermore... My family will be cheering if I make it into USYD (Asian parents, what can i say?)
And i had a read on the site you linked, i actually found it quite useful. I now know that UTS has a more pragmatic advantage, whereas USYD is more reliant on prestige and theory... I don't really care about parking, transport, or housing either :p

But URGHH i can't handle that hideous UTS building!?!?!
Well, actually my parents (though they are Asian) couldn't really care less what university I go to. Their expectation is "get to university, or else!"

Right now, my plan is to go to the info day at Sydney and inquire whether I can take subjects of the B Sc (Adv Maths) degree and still get something along those lines when I graduate - while still being in the B Sc (Adv) program.

Essentially, it's "If I take the B Sc (Adv) and major in mathematics - would it be comparable to going into the B Sc (Adv Maths)?"

That's my line of thinking thus far. Now if they say, 'NO! u must do B Sc (Adv Maths)! silly boy" - I'll probably go jump to UNSW's Info Day and inquire. And then compare the pair.

And then possibly go to Macquarie - but that'll be a bit more difficult due to distance and them not actually having a B Sc (Adv Maths) course but only having a B Sc (Adv)...

sikhman

HSC
N/A
Ahahaha yeah. and even then, you should take into account the fee prices. Especially since Americans are wondering whether elite/ivy league unis are worth it xD

+1
haha it's worth it. there are some ridiculous opportunities available at top tier american unis. not just ivies, but others. HYPS are still in a league of their own, however.

i'm also under the impression that doing Advanced Maths means you can major in Stats, QR, Pure/Applied maths etc., whereas the straight Adv. Science degree is only offered in non mathematical majors (except mathematical physics i think) so basically, you have to choose whether you want to study maths or not. it's basically the adv. science equivalent for maths majors. So if you do the Adv. Science, you can't get a major in maths.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's confusing - and I figure I might send Sydney an email because the problem is with them in their... somewhat confusing system of 'units' and 'credit points' which I'm sure I'll master by the end of about.... a year or two in it. Maybe less.

Anyway, I looked at the B Sc (Adv Maths) majors and they are: Mathematics, Statistics, and Financial Mathematics and Statistics. The B Sc (Adv) majors include: Mathematics, Statistics and Financial Mathematics and Statistics.

The story is different at UNSW however. Their B Sc (Adv Maths) allows students to major in Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics, Quantitative Risk and Statistics. Their B Sc (Adv) degree majors include none of the above - with 'Mathematical Physics' being the closest to any maths major. Thus, I struck it out of my preferences.

So yes sikhman, your sentiment is true for UNSW but apparently not so for Sydney. Though I might ask them how that works on their info day - because to me, that loophole looks like "Hey look, free B Sc (Adv Maths) degree! But I only get a B Sc (Adv) on my testamur."

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It's confusing - and I figure I might send Sydney an email because the problem is with them in their... somewhat confusing system of 'units' and 'credit points' which I'm sure I'll master by the end of about.... a year or two in it. Maybe less.

Anyway, I looked at the B Sc (Adv Maths) majors and they are: Mathematics, Statistics, and Financial Mathematics and Statistics. The B Sc (Adv) majors include: Mathematics, Statistics and Financial Mathematics and Statistics.

The story is different at UNSW however. Their B Sc (Adv Maths) allows students to major in Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics, Quantitative Risk and Statistics. Their B Sc (Adv) degree majors include none of the above - with 'Mathematical Physics' being the closest to any maths major. Thus, I struck it out of my preferences.

So yes sikhman, your sentiment is true for UNSW but apparently not so for Sydney. Though I might ask them how that works on their info day - because to me, that loophole looks like "Hey look, free B Sc (Adv Maths) degree! But I only get a B Sc (Adv) on my testamur."
I think just about every university has their own system for credit points and such.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh great so it's not standardised...

/me lets out a loud groan

Sucks even more that every university pretty much decided to chuck their Info Days on the same day and then the UAC said, "Hey, let's give them about 24 hours after they get home from Info Day to fix up their final preferences for the Main Round!" Ah well, I've trudged through more info - and now I have a better idea of what uni I want to go to and I have a better idea of whether I'm into pure or applied mathematics. It's all good.

/me puts on his sunglasses

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
amazing how just adding a 'adv' to 'adv sci' will make you guys go ballistic

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Unit's are classes. You take units to receive credit points. You finish your degree when you accumulate the minimum number of credit points required to complete said degree.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Unit's are classes. You take units to receive credit points. You finish your degree when you accumulate the minimum number of credit points required to complete said degree.
And indeed, it's not standardised: at ANU, you take courses to receive units. :/ Don't worry, you'll figure it all out pretty quickly once you start working out your enrolment next year.

sikhman

HSC
N/A
And indeed, it's not standardised: at ANU, you take courses to receive units. :/ Don't worry, you'll figure it all out pretty quickly once you start working out your enrolment next year.
Yeah - also be thankful you're not working on credit hours. Makes graduation requirements look so daunting.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah what some of the guys above said is right.
The advanced part is useless, just pick what uni you want to go to and if you don't meet the cut off for advanced maths,
do the the BSci and major in maths and if your marks are good you'll be able to transfer into the Advanced thing or u can just do honours anyway.
(At unsw at least, can't speak for usyd)

To clarify, I think for UNSW advanced maths its exactly the same as doing a normal B Sci majoring in maths unless u want to do quant risk.
The courses are exactly the same except if you do adv. maths you have to pick the "Higher" version of the course if it has one.
And as some other people have pointed out, you have to do the SCIF thing.

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
Clarify the transfer into advanced degreen on enrolment day but not sure if USYD will allow it. I know dropping down is easy if you feel too overwhelmed, my friend got auto dropped when he didn't do enough advanced subjects.

PS. Science is shit unless you love being in a lab cooped up doing your own thing. There's almost no social interaction which is kind of boring and sad.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Doesn't one do practical work with a group however? I'm sure they'll be good for some conversation.

Also thanks tim, I'm currently scanning through all the websites conducting 'research' for what uni I want to attend. Though for UNSW, I'm guaranteed into the Adv. Maths course due to the AAA thing I received from them.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sorry for the double post but for interested people in that SCIF thing in UNSW Advanced Science:

This course introduces students to a diversity of current science, and professionalism in science. Through classroom activities and assessment tasks, as well as a camp / field trip, students develop a sense of identity and belonging with their colleagues and their program of study. Students will be exposed to the theory of and have, through integration with discipline-specific modules, the opportunity to practice a range of generic skills relevant to both their university studies and practice in science including, typically, oral and written communication, peer review, team/group work, information literacy, personality types and learning styles, ethics and codes of conduct. The discipline-specific modules will engage students with research scientists and research principles and activities in science.
So we get a camp. This sounds very lovey-dovey like that H14 outcome in Chemistry. Something like: "Students will appreciate the beauty of Chemistry and blah blah blah"

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
This course introduces students to a diversity of current science, and professionalism in science. Through classroom activities and assessment tasks, as well as a camp / field trip, students develop a sense of identity and belonging with their colleagues and their program of study. Students will be exposed to the theory of and have, through integration with discipline-specific modules, the opportunity to practice a range of generic skills relevant to both their university studies and practice in science including, typically, oral and written communication, peer review, team/group work, information literacy, personality types and learning styles, ethics and codes of conduct. The discipline-specific modules will engage students with research scientists and research principles and activities in science.
:\

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Let me just say my drive to enrol at UNSW - despite the assurance of the course - has diminished in a small, yet measurable way.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Oh great so it's not standardised...

/me lets out a loud groan

Sucks even more that every university pretty much decided to chuck their Info Days on the same day and then the UAC said, "Hey, let's give them about 24 hours after they get home from Info Day to fix up their final preferences for the Main Round!" Ah well, I've trudged through more info - and now I have a better idea of what uni I want to go to and I have a better idea of whether I'm into pure or applied mathematics. It's all good.

/me puts on his sunglasses
I KNOW RIGHT.
Sucks even more that I'm trying to decide between Wollongong and Sydney, and the two seminars I'm interested in are half an hour apart from each other...
And it takes an hour to get to Sydney...

... FUU-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)