procrastination... the solution (1 Viewer)

4theHSC

HSC
Ok so what worked? I find myself sitting down for long hours... yet always distracted and if I'm not distracted, I feel like I need to be... Day dreaming is another thing... like when your reading something (say biology) and your mind is on a different tangent... then you look back at the text and think "what the heck did I just read?"... What do you guys do to overcome this problem? or do you just learn to live with it?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Get some motivation, I reckon. Get it from parents, friends, or even from your competitors...

Doctor is the last resort.

~caramello~

HSC
4theHSC said:
Ok so what worked? I find myself sitting down for long hours... yet always distracted and if I'm not distracted, I feel like I need to be... Day dreaming is another thing... like when your reading something (say biology) and your mind is on a different tangent... then you look back at the text and think "what the heck did I just read?"... What do you guys do to overcome this problem? or do you just learn to live with it?
lol. That happens to me all the time.
Your working but your not working. Welcome to ineffective studying =D
Do something with your brain that actually makes in concentrate on what your doing. Like for instance, instead of just reading, try to make notes on it or something.
I Dunno, it just works for me.

Linee

HSC
~caramello~ said:
lol. That happens to me all the time.
Your working but your not working. Welcome to ineffective studying =D
Lol me too.
Maybe you should close your eyes, take a breath, relax for a few seconds and resume studying

dp624

HSC
I think that you probably think that the bio is a waste of time or whatever. You need to concentrate on the matter at hand... perhaps ensure that you reward yourself after what you consider successful study.
Also, get an AIM for the year. and always try to BEAT that aim.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Motivate yourself by making sacrifices and/or giving yourself small rewards.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Motivate yourself/get others to motivate you/give yourself a small reward.

If i really can't be stuffed doing sometning i generally reward myself by saying i'll get a 30min gaming break after i finish. That works because i always wanna play games but can't XD

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Get some drugs.

Either that or set goals which you MUST attain for each day. For example your goal for the day might be tro summarise 'Special Relativity' in Jacaranda. If you do not complete that goal - punish yourself by not letting yourself do other things (e.g. watching TV, MSN etc) and do not stop until it's done.

It might not motivate you but it works for me - manages to get my work done.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
Get some drugs.

Either that or set goals which you MUST attain for each day. For example your goal for the day might be tro summarise 'Special Relativity' in Jacaranda. If you do not complete that goal - punish yourself by not letting yourself do other things (e.g. watching TV, MSN etc) and do not stop until it's done.

It might not motivate you but it works for me - manages to get my work done.
lol, "punish yourself"

I never really "punish myself". If I cannot do something on that day, I just do other subjects that I can enjoy studying such as maths.

So I just basically do maths whole day...but that rarely happens these days. :mad1:

IMTB

HSC
Sometimes you just got to try different things and see what work for you best. The reward method is popular but sometimes doesn't work for certain people, depending on level of self control.

Though like others said, you should set an UAI aim (and aim high) and focus on that. Acknowledging the amount of effort that is required to achieve that aim compared to your current efforts may motivate you a bit.

The competition method also works well if you have a competitive nature. Also try making the workload into small blocks of work instead of trying to finish everything at once, 'cause that can sometimes seem very daunting and you end up not doing anything at all!

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
If you don't get 99.95 for your UAI, you will become a Kings Cross prostitute and die of AIDS.
true that. have you seen the da vinci code? wear one of those self punishment device things that the albino guy is wearing, and use it every time you aren't studying at 110%

Rainie

HSC
Get some fresh air (jogging will do), do whatever you want to do so that it's not always stuck in your head and distracting you and then focus on your study :)

Also, words of wisdom/motivational quotes will help along the way :)

terminator69

HSC
gibbo153 said:
true that. have you seen the da vinci code? wear one of those self punishment device things that the albino guy is wearing, and use it every time you aren't studying at 110%
true that. have you seen the da vinci code? wear one of those cilices that Silas wears, and use it every time you aren't studying at 110%*

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
terminator69 said:
true that. have you seen the da vinci code? wear one of those cilices that Silas wears, and use it every time you aren't studying at 110%*
how disgustingly pedantic of you.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Have a fap.

But I do some other subject then go back to it later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)