Progress in Extension 2. (1 Viewer)

Makematics

HSC
i havent done harder 3 unit, but i hear it takes up heapsssssss of time. which is probably why we dont have it in our trials. do any of you guys have harder 3u in your trials?

hayabusaboston

HSC
i havent done harder 3 unit, but i hear it takes up heapsssssss of time. which is probably why we dont have it in our trials. do any of you guys have harder 3u in your trials?
Fuuuuck harder 3u has some mindfuck stuff, ive been looking at some harder "harder 3u" questions and GODDAMN its mindfuck hahaha

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Wow. I thought only private schools did that. My teachers are highly against taking topics out of yearlies though, as it can stuff up your rankings.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I am reviving this thread again for the sake of comparison yet again.

End of this term: Finished 3-unit course, Finished 2-unit course.

4-unit: Second half of Graphs and Second Half of Mechanics left. Also, all of harder 3-unit topics left to do for my class.

I think it is doable in 6 weeks though before the trials (2nd half of Graphs in 1 week, 2nd half of Mechanics in 2 weeks, Harder 3-unit in 3 weeks)

I am guessing most of you are done with the actual course?

By the way, has anyone finished every question in 2 textbooks rather than just one?

Discuss.

Last edited:
HSC
Content wise, we've just started mechanics and still have all of harder 3 unit left (I'm blaming this on being an entire term late, thanks).

Work wise I've still got questions from pretty much most off the topics that I haven't done yet but will definitely be catching up on (mainly conics and volumes). My trials are in like 5 weeks though.

Have fun with the rest of graphs haha I loved that topic

Edit: oh and we finished 3 unit a few weeks back.

Buwwy

HSC
It looks like we're pretty behind.
Almost half-way through mechanics and still have harder 3u and graphs to go.
Definitely won't be finishing 3u course before trials and probably not 4u either :/

braintic

HSC
N/A
It looks like we're pretty behind.
Almost half-way through mechanics and still have harder 3u and graphs to go.
Definitely won't be finishing 3u course before trials and probably not 4u either :/
You are not behind. I teach at a selective school that always gets good results in maths. After the trials we will have a full Ext 2 topic and 1.5 Ext 1 topics to go. We are at the same point as we are at every year. Why the rush to finish? Better to be taught properly and thoroughly.

Makematics

HSC
exactly, i agree with braintic. i go to a selective school, and each year the school intentionally leaves out binomial theorem from the 3U trial and half of mechanics and harder 3u from the 4u trial. considering that the trial is in week 2, it leaves us something to do in term 3 and we dont have to cram as much into the trial. but i understand that some schools want the trial to be as close to the hsc as possible.

Buwwy

HSC
The way I saw it was that most people would probably not focus as much after the trials, so it would've been better to finish the course before then. But it probably is a better idea to take it easy and get through the content thoroughly.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
With the 3-unit course, we use Maths In Focus (Pretty crap textbook to aim for Band 6), And we did Locus and Parabola 2 and Perms and Combs in the Prelim extension course as they were part of the prelim. That is why we finished 3-unit so early. However, I don't trust the 2004 edition of Maths in Focus to suffice a band 6.

kevinwoong1

HSC
Well my school's practically done all of the syllabus cept for the projectile motion bit in mechanics and harder 3U, and trials for us is in exactly 2 weeks D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)