• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Progress Logbook (NO OFF TOPIC PLS) (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Do your marks actually not matter? Can someone explain how the HSC works please 🙏🙏
Your ATAR (a mark assigned by UAC) is based on 50% internal marks and 50% external HSC exam. Your internal marks are adjusted and scaled per subject and to your school, because better schools give harder papers. Pretty sure the actual HSC exam is also scaled. For example, Ext2 math will scale much better than SOR I. For example, a 60% raw in Ext2 math may bump up to like an 80-90% HSC mark (this is an example, there's data around online to check this). Just a sidenote, when you get your results from NESA, you are given your internal mark, your external mark (both aligned) and then your calculated HSC mark for that subject which is some sort of average between the two (interal + external). This HSC mark is used to calculate ATAR (pretty sure!)

Then, from what I understand, your internal rankings are very important, because once you sit the HSC your actual mark is kinda aligned to your rank. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but just try to sit higher in your cohort, because then you avoid your actual external HSC mark being pulled down. Essentially students towards the bottom half of their cohort have their external marks affected more than students at the top. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with adjustment/scaling/alignment - DON'T QUOTE ME BECAUSE I DON'T REALLY KNOW.

There is definitely some forum on BoS that goes through this <3

Good luck lol and when you find out how it all works - please let us know

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
Do your marks actually not matter? Can someone explain how the HSC works please 🙏🙏
Your mark is 50% your internal assessments and 50% your external mark.

The external marks are pretty simple - you get a raw mark in the HSC exam, then NESA aligns it up a bit to match band criteria (eg if NESA decides an 80 is a band 6 in physics one year then an 80 will align to a 90, and a 90 will align to a 95).

The internal marks are a bit more complicated. Obviously every school sets different test difficulties, so they can’t just set your mark - teachers would just give everyone 100%. The way they get around this is using your school’s hsc exam marks from that subject. The best analogy I could give for how they use those marks is that they look at your internal marks for the subject with names, and then look at the list of exam marks from you school without any names, and try to guess which mark each kid would’ve gotten. For example, if someone ranked first internally, then NESA would give them the highest HSC exam mark your school got in that subject as their internal mark, and if someone came last, then NESA would give them the lowest exam mark your school in that subject as their internal mark.

Then they average these two marks for each subject to determine your HSC marks. Your HSC marks are then scaled based on the difficulty of each course (technically based on how the subject cohort does in English but for all intents and purposes its basically difficulty) to a scaled mark, which is added to produce your aggregate. They then match aggregate scores to ATARs, eg the top 1% of scores (out of all people, including estimated numbers for people who dropped out) would be the 99 ATAR cutoff and so on.

I hope that makes sense, if anything doesn’t then just ask! I oversimplified some things (technically raw marks are used for ATAR calculation but there’s no publicly available data for that conversion so it doesn’t matter for you) but this is the general gist of how it works

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
Your mark is 50% your internal assessments and 50% your external mark.

The external marks are pretty simple - you get a raw mark in the HSC exam, then NESA aligns it up a bit to match band criteria (eg if NESA decides an 80 is a band 6 in physics one year then an 80 will align to a 90, and a 90 will align to a 95).

The internal marks are a bit more complicated. Obviously every school sets different test difficulties, so they can’t just set your mark - teachers would just give everyone 100%. The way they get around this is using your school’s hsc exam marks from that subject. The best analogy I could give for how they use those marks is that they look at your internal marks for the subject with names, and then look at the list of exam marks from you school without any names, and try to guess which mark each kid would’ve gotten. For example, if someone ranked first internally, then NESA would give them the highest HSC exam mark your school got in that subject as their internal mark, and if someone came last, then NESA would give them the lowest exam mark your school in that subject as their internal mark.

Then they average these two marks for each subject to determine your HSC marks. Your HSC marks are then scaled based on the difficulty of each course (technically based on how the subject cohort does in English but for all intents and purposes its basically difficulty) to a scaled mark, which is added to produce your aggregate. They then match aggregate scores to ATARs, eg the top 1% of scores (out of all people, including estimated numbers for people who dropped out) would be the 99 ATAR cutoff and so on.

I hope that makes sense, if anything doesn’t then just ask! I oversimplified some things (technically raw marks are used for ATAR calculation but there’s no publicly available data for that conversion so it doesn’t matter for you) but this is the general gist of how it works
But if your internal mark is technically the mark from the HSC test, then what becomes your external mark?

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
your external mark is the mark from the HSC exam once is has been aligned
For example, if someone ranked first internally, then NESA would give them the highest HSC exam mark your school got in that subject as their internal mark, and if someone came last, then NESA would give them the lowest exam mark your school in that subject as their internal mark.

synthesisFR

HSC
:eek: how did it go??
I’m pretty happy
there was this word limiting sun question which didn’t even make sense I was trying to figure which topic it belonged to lmaooo. I didn’t have enough time to experiment and do it.
Ther was this massive disgusting integral question and then next part was to establish an inequality I didn’t know how to do it bc it was the integrals were alr like the worst loooking I didn’t know how to add the inequality
Like there was some messed up questions but other than that it was all good

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
I’m pretty happy
there was this word limiting sun question which didn’t even make sense I was trying to figure which topic it belonged to lmaooo. I didn’t have enough time to experiment and do it.
Ther was this massive disgusting integral question and then next part was to establish an inequality I didn’t know how to do it bc it was the integrals were alr like the worst loooking I didn’t know how to add the inequality
Like there was some messed up questions but other than that it was all good
good to hear

carrotsss

HSC
27.7 + 28.7
- finally wrote my discursive (this took way too long please send help)
- pretty much completely rewrote my mod A essay because despite my old English teacher giving it an 18/20 in the assessment, my new English teacher absolutely ripped it to shreds 😭😭😭

bunch of stuff irl happening atm so not super productive but ANYWAY

nsw..wollongong

HSC
27.7 + 28.7
- finally wrote my discursive (this took way too long please send help)
- pretty much completely rewrote my mod A essay because despite my old English teacher giving it an 18/20 in the assessment, my new English teacher absolutely ripped it to shreds 😭😭😭

bunch of stuff irl happening atm so not super productive but ANYWAY
not getting a band 6 in English my toe

carrotsss

HSC
not getting a band 6 in English my toe
I don’t think u understand how bad am I at English though and my ranking sucks because I screwed up the multimodal last year

the only thing I have going for me is all the English teachers seem to love me and think that I’m shaking up the rankings for some reason which is insane because I’m literally not I’m like rank 7 😭😭😭

nsw..wollongong

HSC
I don’t think u understand how bad am I at English though and my ranking sucks because I screwed up the multimodal last year

the only thing I have going for me is all the English teachers seem to love me and think that I’m shaking up the rankings for some reason which is insane because I’m literally not I’m like rank 7 😭😭😭
rank 7 out of how many tho? don't even worry abt it, u still have ur trials to go without them, u can pull urself up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)